Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
Low End Coilover Options

I know this is a topic that gets beaten into the ground but I need some advice on what to purchase.

Long story short, I busted a strut and need to replace it. I had always meant to do coilovers at some point in the future but now it seems that I should go ahead and pull the trigger on a set. My car is not a daily driver but it also is not a dedicated track car. Im trying to keep the price around the 1000-1500$ range and there is a lot of options to look at.

I dont have a lot of time to do research because I am trying to get my car up and running again for LS Fest so instead I would really like some advice. I was initially just going to go with BC Racing BRs but would like to hear thoughts on other options available.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I would say you would be better off getting Koni dampers rather than cheap coil overs. And to be clear, we don't carry Koni or cheap coil overs so that is not a sales motivated recommendation.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
I would say you would be better off getting Koni dampers rather than cheap coil overs. And to be clear, we don't carry Koni or cheap coil overs so that is not a sales motivated recommendation.
I agree. I would wait for the Koni Sport Yellows
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I agree. I would wait for the Koni Sport Yellows
I saw them and I seriously considered the koni yellows. It would be cheaper and do everything I need them to do (with the exception of going a little lower, which I honestly dont need to do). Only issue is timing. My car isn't drivable at the moment and I need it back on the road before second week of September. From what I gathered the yellows were basically a myth and no one could get a date on availability.

Would you still say Koni orange would be better than a cheaper set of coilovers?
Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
FYI some coilover brands out there are produced in the same factories, but makes me wonder why theyre priced different..

and so I would recommend megan racing coilovers for 900 bucks you'll get adjustable height and 32 levels of dampening adjustments from soft to stiff. I had it for 3-4 years on my last camaro and its great! No issues at all.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboNarwhal View Post
I saw them and I seriously considered the koni yellows. It would be cheaper and do everything I need them to do (with the exception of going a little lower, which I honestly dont need to do). Only issue is timing. My car isn't drivable at the moment and I need it back on the road before second week of September. From what I gathered the yellows were basically a myth and no one could get a date on availability.

Would you still say Koni orange would be better than a cheaper set of coilovers?
I would. They cost half of what a cheap set of coil overs cost and are specifically valved for a Camaro on lowering springs that wants a decent ride and improved performance. Then save your money and get a good set of coil overs that are actually engineered for the 5th Gen rather than being the same damper that is used of everything from a Civic to a 300C just with a different mount welded on and require cutting holes in your car.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
FYI some coilover brands out there are produced in the same factories, but makes me wonder why theyre priced different..

and so I would recommend megan racing coilovers for 900 bucks you'll get adjustable height and 32 levels of dampening adjustments from soft to stiff. I had it for 3-4 years on my last camaro and its great! No issues at all.
I'm not a expert on suspension however I like my cheap BC'S and they get the job done. I don't track my car so the outrageously priced coilovers weren't an option for me.

Last edited by Lil' Nasty; 08-24-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
I've been Running BCs with the SWIFT Spring Upgrade for some time now.
They are valve from factory for the SWIFT springs and the Camaro.
people here have some valid points on the reasons for cheap vs well not cheap.
I'd like to point out Quality and Warranty been a major driver for higher price units too.

I've driven my car and my buddies car with PFADT coilovers same day same track, there is no doubt PFADT was superior when I was pushing the car around the corners. but thats on a really aggressive environment. DD between the two is negligible. I noticed an even bigger change from changing rubber than suspension.
If I was putting my money somewhere it would be good rubber. Pilot Super Sports are my fav summer tires with great track manners and outstanding DD life.
except on rainy days lol it is fun to slide around do!! lmao

my 2 cents....
CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote