Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you let friends drive your Camaro?
Hell yeah! 17 8.72%
Yeah, if I'm feeling like it. 25 12.82%
No way. 85 43.59%
No, but on the rare occasion I might. 61 31.28%
My friends can't drive a manual so they're SOL! 10 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #71
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboNarwhal View Post
Let them drive it, hell half of them I ask them to drive it. As long as I am in the car it doesn't bother me. I just love to share my car. Its such a unique thing to command so much power, it is intoxicating and I want everyone to experinece it. There are a few exceptions both ways. I know a few people I wouldnt let touch it and I know a few people I would let drive it unsupervised.

And this is with a twin turbo M6. Some of you guys are either way to worried about your car or dont trust your friends enough.
Do you trust your friends to pay your insurance costs if something goes wrong. Mine went up 20 a month per vehicle times 4 for a total of and additional 80 a month for an unspecified period of time. I will be out thousands because my son let someone drive his car, while the son was passenger. Sons friend is completely off the hook, now son has no car, and I have increased costs because of his decision. Insurance coverd two totaled and one damaged car, if medical was involved it would have been a huge mess, as the sons friend had no insurance of his own because he has no car. Be careful. It is not the friends nor the car, its the rest of the liability legal stuff that sucks.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #72
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Do you trust your friends to pay your insurance costs if something goes wrong. Mine went up 20 a month per vehicle times 4 for a total of and additional 80 a month for an unspecified period of time. I will be out thousands because my son let someone drive his car, while the son was passenger. Sons friend is completely off the hook, now son has no car, and I have increased costs because of his decision. Insurance coverd two totaled and one damaged car, if medical was involved it would have been a huge mess, as the sons friend had no insurance of his own because he has no car. Be careful. It is not the friends nor the car, its the rest of the liability legal stuff that sucks.
I dont know anyone who doesnt have an insured vehicle. For permissive use my insurance would more than likely cover it and what it doesnt their insurance would. Would it be a pain in the ass to deal with 2 insurance companies if worst case scenario happened? Hell yeah but the odds of someone crashing my car are so small I will worry about dealing with the insurance if that ever happens.

Its not like Someone else is driving my car every single day, mine sits in my driveway more often than not but most everyone I am close with have driven it at some point.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #73
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Nope, I will be happy to drive them where they need to go.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #74
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
I dont know anyone who doesnt have an insured vehicle. For permissive use my insurance would more than likely cover it and what it doesnt their insurance would. Would it be a pain in the ass to deal with 2 insurance companies if worst case scenario happened? Hell yeah but the odds of someone crashing my car are so small I will worry about dealing with the insurance if that ever happens.

Its not like Someone else is driving my car every single day, mine sits in my driveway more often than not but most everyone I am close with have driven it at some point.
Yes for permissive use it is covered. However your rates may increase, and the guest driver is not responsible for anything financially. Just something to be aware of as many here treat it like a scratch of bent fender. If medical is required your insurance is primary, theirs is secondary, anything beyond that you are on the hook for the remaining, not the guest driver. My point is if the worst happens even if everything is covered is your buddy going to send you a check every month to cover your increased insurance costs? How about if your car is totaled and the insurance only covers 3/4 of the value like usual esp with mods. Are they going to make that up to you?
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #75
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Duh

Hell no and No again.

Oh wait did I say "NO".

My son is allowed to drive it and he rarely does.

I even offered to let him take it for a week before he got his 2015 mustang gt which he already got rid of. Said in restrospect that the 1LE kills his mustang gt with track pack. He should have taken my car for a few days. He was just afraid that it would get hit and he would feel guilty.

When I offered it for a week. He said and I quote, "I'd rather go to Afghanistan."

Jim
Old 08-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #76
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
You make the only legitament argument against someonr else driving your car. I persobally am not terribly concerned. A car can be replaced and money is just that but the joy i get and the joy everyone else gets from droving my car makes the risk well worth the reward. A lot of my friends are not car guys so it is fun to let tem experience my hobby and the ones that are car guys dont have the disposable income i have to purchase and build something like my car. In my experience everyone i have let drive my car is infinately more careful and responsible with it than even i am. Most of them i have to tell to get it into boost a little bit. To answer your final question would they pay for increased rates or damages? Most would offer but i know they couldnt afford it and i wouldnt expect them to.

This video is a great representation of why i think the way i do: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGlydjQI09o
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #77
Venomous

Drives: 2015 Silver Camaro 1lt RS M6
Quote:
You make the only legitament argument against someonr else driving your car. I persobally am not terribly concerned. A car can be replaced and money is just that but the joy i get and the joy everyone else gets from droving my car makes the risk well worth the reward. A lot of my friends are not car guys so it is fun to let tem experience my hobby and the ones that are car guys dont have the disposable income i have to purchase and build something like my car. In my experience everyone i have let drive my car is infinately more careful and responsible with it than even i am. Most of them i have to tell to get it into boost a little bit. To answer your final question would they pay for increased rates or damages? Most would offer but i know they couldnt afford it and i wouldnt expect them to.

This video is a great representation of why i think the way i do: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGlydjQI09o
Spot on and a great vid. I value friendship with my friends over any car out there. After all, its just a car. Also ive known almost all my friends 20+ years and they don't even ask or care to drive it. One has because I didn't want to move my car and let him take it instead. Its all about trust. I totaled a friends mustang in 94 after I graduated and he never once lost his cool. Taught me a lot. Cars can be replaced, friends cant.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #78
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I hardly even let my husband drive it but that is because he won't let me drive his SS. I have let both of my kids drive it with me in the car with them. Otherwise, Uh, NO!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:37 PM   #79
Alex Benavitz

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro LFX
Absolutely not. The chances of one of my friends wrecking because they can't handle the horsepower are through the roof!
Alex Benavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #80
Briby37

Drives: Chevy Camaro Lover
Hell yeah! but only one of them.

I've known the guy forever though, and he's a much better driver than me. He's even run it around for a session at track day with me in the passenger seat!

Plus i get to drive his Vette, which is nice.
Briby37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #81
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
If and ONLY if they have ever owned a 400hp+ RWD vehicle.
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #82
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
I've let one drive it. That was only because he has a camaro lol
Old 08-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #83
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:

I agree 100% with all you said. The video reinforces this opinion. When I was younger, I was a bit more protective and concerned about it, but I still let people drive them. I agree with other people's use, it would pale in comparison to how I use it, and that is what they were made for!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #84
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Maybe family but not friends.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote