Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #127
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
I did the same thing, lost one of the nuts in the trunk lid. I'll fish it out when I have more time to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same happened to me, I just said "screw it" and left it in there, figuring it wouldn't do any damage or anything. Then one day while opening the trunk I heard it near the bottom, got out my inspection camera and a magnet and fished it out pretty easily.

I didn't want to break the paint that was over the nuts holding on the trunk, and also didn't want to worry about misalignment while reinstalling or anything.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #128
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboNarwhal View Post
Lol. I didn't notice you were from Kentucky as well. I actually had a hell of a time installing mine to be honest dropped a screw into my truck lid. Pro tip: don't do that, had to remove the trunk to fish it out, though that made mounting a spoiler without studs easier, lol.

Mine has to come off come nicer weather as well, planning on pulling my stripes off and they are now solidly under my spoiler.
I've never seen a Z28 spoiler on a pre-2014/15 Camaro. Its different. I like it because it is different

Makes the booty look hella-fine!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #129
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
I've never seen a Z28 spoiler on a pre-2014/15 Camaro. Its different. I like it because it is different

Makes the booty look hella-fine!

I definitely like the side look. Makes it look much more planted to the ground for some reason. Looks fast! Hahaha

MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #130
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
What do you mean the holes didn't line up?
Will they not fit the factory spoiler holes? Is the spoiler lined up right?
I'm debating replacing my factory spoiler with this one, but only if it looks good and no new holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboNarwhal View Post
Got mine in a couple of days ago, and finally installed this morning. Finish is great but as MackMan said, the holes did not line up properly. I also was not satisfied with the supplied screws that came with the spoiler, they were only about 1/2 inch long, replaced them with longer ones that actually went all the way through the fiberglass, feel much better about it.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #131
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
From what I understand they had to widen the holes in the trunk lid. Not uncommon, I had to do the same for my spoiler.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #132
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

There aren't any new holes drilled, you just may have to bore out the existing holes a bit. Nothing major at all. I had a tool my dad used to make holes bigger and I just screwed it down in the existing hole slightly and it widened it just enough for me to fit the screw in the hole on the spoiler better.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #133
TurboNarwhal

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Twin Turbo
The manufacturer doesn't use a jig to align the screw hoes but instead use reference marks from the mould. What this means is the holes are very close but not quite perfect, you just need to widen them a bit. Being handy with a drill will get it done or a small metal file may be even better.

Last edited by TurboNarwhal; 03-07-2016 at 09:26 PM.
TurboNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #134
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Awesome. That's easy. I just didn't want to drill new holes.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #135
Magz_rule

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Got mine on today. Looks good. Like everyone else says the holes don't line up. Had to open them up a good amount. The only thing I do not like about this spoiler is that it doesn't use studs and bolts. It uses a lag screw right into fiberglass.. Only 5 of the 6 bolts tightened up for me. One came stripped apparently. Didn't over tighten it whatsoever :/ Besides that I like how it looks.
Attached Images

Magz_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #136
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz_rule View Post
Got mine on today. Looks good. Like everyone else says the holes don't line up. Had to open them up a good amount. The only thing I do not like about this spoiler is that it doesn't use studs and bolts. It uses a lag screw right into fiberglass.. Only 5 of the 6 bolts tightened up for me. One came stripped apparently. Didn't over tighten it whatsoever :/ Besides that I like how it looks.

Looking good! Yeah I'll be replacing the bolts once I take it off again. I was afraid to tighten the ones it came with too tight as I didn't want to strip them. Any suggestions on preventing that?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #137
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
What about installing nutserts into the spoiler?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #138
Magz_rule

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoshin View Post
What about installing nutserts into the spoiler?
I think that would probably be a better solution. Not a fan of the lag screws right now lol
Magz_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #139
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

eBay Z28 spoiler for 2010-2013?

I may check out the nurserts today. Never really used them but I will with the wickerbill I'm installing. I'll judge it from that and see. Good idea though!

Old 03-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #140
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You might want to try 3m highbond tape on the bottom before you mount it. That will for sure keep it from coming loose. Then all the stress won't be on the lag bolts in the fiberglass. Nutserts would be a good idea also. I am using both to mount my ZL1 spoiler this weekend.