Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
easy-to-diy suspension mods

Ok, so let's say "hypothetically" that I were bored and had about $500 to blow on some suspension mods I would have probably bought in the future anyway... and let's also say, "hypothetically", that the mods would have to be good for daily driving and the occasional strip racing / standing on the gas pedal. Let's also say, FOR REAL, that my car makes big power (550+ hp/tq).

What would you buy and who would you buy it from?

Only criteria: installs in 3 hours or less with novice tools (or stuff I can pick up cheaply at a store) and skill.
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Sway bars

Bushings (a little more difficult, but easily done with basic tools)

Jason
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
like i said before

trailing arms

differential bushings

either sway bars/drop springs (this option probably more up your alley) or rear subframe bushings

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I did sways and springs on my own took about 7 hours to do it all with breaks. I am getting ready to to trailing arms, toe arms, rear cradle bushing inserts and differential bushings. I expect to do all of that in a 2 day span hopefully
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
like i said before

trailing arms

differential bushings

either sway bars/drop springs (this option probably more up your alley) or rear subframe bushings

Differential bushings are not easy nor a three hour job.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Differential bushings are not easy or a three hour job.
maybe for you they aren't.... doesn't take much to get the rear end out... i think i got mine out in 45 mins by myself, on jackstands. cut out the bushings... put new ones in... put it back on.... not that hard.....

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
I installed springs on my car and took about 3.5 hours. All I needed was a spring compressor. I had all the other tools.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Guys, he is asking for suspension mods that will help with traction on a 550rwhp car, that's not springs and sway bars. The most beneficial way to spend your $500 would be on trailing arms and cradle bushings. 3 hours might be pushing this install for the weekend wrencher but even a novice with a floor jack and hand tools should be able to do it in 4 hours and you still have $180 left!

Whether you have wheel hop or not, it will eventually creep up on you when you add more power, swap tires, etc., and the last thing you need is a broken CV. Trailing arms and cradle bushings are cheap insurance against wheel hop. The cradle bushings really help with handling too by removing the notorious cradle movement these cars have.

I would definitely recommend differential bushings sometime in your future as well but even though they would fit into your budget now, they take 3 hours by themselves to install...
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
AdamCzap

Drives: 18 zl1, 17 sierra denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
Guys, he is asking for suspension mods that will help with traction on a 550rwhp car, that's not springs and sway bars. The most beneficial way to spend your $500 would be on trailing arms and cradle bushings. 3 hours might be pushing this install for the weekend wrencher but even a novice with a floor jack and hand tools should be able to do it in 4 hours and you still have $180 left!

Whether you have wheel hop or not, it will eventually creep up on you when you add more power, swap tires, etc., and the last thing you need is a broken CV. Trailing arms and cradle bushings are cheap insurance against wheel hop. The cradle bushings really help with handling too by removing the notorious cradle movement these cars have.

I would definitely recommend differential bushings sometime in your future as well but even though they would fit into your budget now, they take 3 hours by themselves to install...
thanks a lot to you and the other guys who responded! i love this forum
AdamCzap is offline   Reply With Quote