Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Can Chevy or Ford beat the Hellcat monster

I have read a few things which lead me to believe (duh) that the Hellcat is such a monster that Chevy and Ford will have a tough time offering a competitive product. Your thoughts.

First off it seems to dyno around 650 to the wheels. That just an 8% loss from the cranks certified HP of 707. So the engine is probably putting out a lot more than 707 or Chrysler has found a way to make a more efficient power train.

Second I have now seen the Hennessy package for 800 hp and they don't do much to get it. Yeah I know, Hennessy always talks crank power, but another 100 HP with an ECU reprogram and a different throttle body. Seems like a lot.

Is the Hemi that much of a monster? Can we keep up with that thing?

Don't get me wrong I love all the muscle cars but I am running scared. I am soon getting ready to mod my baby but feel like I cant keep up.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Doesn't Chevy have a Z06 that beats it?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Beat it in what way? More power? on a road course? on a drag strip?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
I dont see a point to it.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Let me clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I dont see a point to it.
Maybe a Z06 will stay with it or beat it, but my point was about the insane power it seems to make and that small mods give it a lot more and that it is even underated at 707hp.

Can the Gm and or Ford engines match that thing.

Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
At the moment, no, but fear not as I'm sure the Bowtie and Blue Oval guys are not going to let this continue for too long.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
Gruby2k

Drives: '14 SS/1LE
Without a doubt in my mind, chevy and ford could beat the power. I follow motorsports and car news pretty closely, and the conclusion I've come to is that Ford and Chevy are more concerned with making a more well-rounded vehicle. The difference between a Hellcat and ZL1 stock on the dragstrip is arguably negligible, but put them on a road course and then you can see where the engineering and development dollars have been spent.
Don't get me wrong, the Hellcat is awesome it just seems to be two dimensional, if you know I mean. I'm also partial too, so.
Gruby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
I am sure both GM and ford will make another monster with the next generation mustangs and camaros.

although i would rather have a Z06 than a hellcat. When you factor in other things besides power. The Z06 looks better and takes turns better, yet still fast as shit.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Hell Kitten what now? I love the powerplant no doubt dodge did up the high end performance game this time around. Which is alot coming from dodge as they did consistently lag behind in the last round in terms of performance. I'm not saying that 392 was bad just they never went out of their way to do anything game changing like the ZL1 or GT500. We shall wait and see but i doubt the bowtie or the blue oval will let it stand as the only 700hp muscle car for long simply on pride standpoints. Enough of the Z06 comparisons it's an awesome car but thats a straight up sports car not a pony/muscle car your comparing apples to oranges again with it both are good for you both do entirely different things.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Ford already has a very competitive product, 13-14 GT500. In manual mode, both cars offer near identical performance. The ZL1 can be viwed as a competitor as well, as it bests both the shelby and hellcat cars at the road course. IMHO, you cant go wrong picking any of them.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruby2k View Post
Without a doubt in my mind, chevy and ford could beat the power. I follow motorsports and car news pretty closely, and the conclusion I've come to is that Ford and Chevy are more concerned with making a more well-rounded vehicle. The difference between a Hellcat and ZL1 stock on the dragstrip is arguably negligible, but put them on a road course and then you can see where the engineering and development dollars have been spent.
Don't get me wrong, the Hellcat is awesome it just seems to be two dimensional, if you know I mean. I'm also partial too, so.
You will see Ford bring something out to beat it I'm sure, GM can't so they will tell you that they are going for a well rounded vehicle. Drag strip, Hellcat KILLS the ZL1 stock for stock, not getting in the moded BS. I've driven the hellcat many times now. It is no slouch in the handling dept. Give it a big road course it will do just fine, so much power it can actually catch up time wise if given a few straights. There is a video out there in a closed course street race where the hellcat does the same course with the same numbers as our ZL1.

Until GM stops treating the Vette like the sacred cow we will always be #2.
I'm sure the plan is taking the Z06 motor and putting it in the Camaro, however the Camaro looks like it has more cooling intake so maybe it can use a bigger blower than the vette for more HP but GM won't allow it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
You don't need power alone to beat the Hellcat. A lighter car with better power to weight can get the job done.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Airway Monkey

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Beat it at what??? Having a higher horsepower motor? Faster in a straight line? Faster around a road course? Standing mile? I think that we should always compare apples to apples. I can't compare the Hellcat to a new Z/28....they are built for different uses. Yes, they are both sports cars (incredible sexy examples of sports cars)....but one is built more for brute power and going in a straight line....the other is built to balance handling and speed on a track. One is a comfortable on the street, the other not so much....so can we keep up with that thing??? Depends on the criteria....IMHO, we are already ahead of it in some categories. We may not have the highest output on paper...but we are leading in quite a few categories. Just depends on what you're looking for and what you want out of your car...

-Matt
Airway Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
If the Camaro handled like a boat Im sure GM would dump as much power into it as they can.

The Challenger rides just like the sedan Charger, a family car.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote