Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Baseball and Hockey Card collection

Hey everyone , I am in need of some help/direction. Long story short, my brother can use some cash. He has a collection of hockey and baseball cards going back in excess of 20 plus years. Most of the cards are probably worth less, but I am hoping a few cards could be worth a few bucks. Any idea where I can go and not be taken advantage of. I literally know nothing about this stuff, I know marvel and dc statue's but this is not my thing. My brother would rather throw everything out as he really is down in the dumps, but I am hoping he can get a few bucks. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Go to a local book store and get yourself a Beckett price guide for each sport. Then just start sorting through them and price them out. Unless the card is in high demand I would expect to get maybe a tenth of what they price out at. I used to work in the business and sports card prices fluctuate FAST. Anything from about 1980 and up was made in mass quantity so you really need a rare card in mint to pristine condition for it to be worth anything. If you find anything you think is worthwhile and want an opinion just PM me and I can try to help you out.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
h422694

Drives: '16 Z06 7 Spd, 2024 High Country HD
Here's an on-line web app that you can use to get an idea. Pick the type card(baseball, football, etc) and continue to select parameters that apply. There was an article on one of their pages that discusses how cards get graded and said most cards are graded good to very good, especially if they were handled by kids.
Average baseball card from 1997 graded above very good sells for around 50 cents.
http://www.deanscards.com/c/1/Baseball-Cards
h422694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 AM   #4
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Thanks . I will have to start sorting through his stuff next week. Appreciate the advice and help
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Man that's tough for your brother.

I collected in the 80's when I was a kid and kept on until the 90's. One of my fondest memories was in 1987.....use to wait for the drug store to put the Donruss packs on sale....3 for .99 and I would clean the out. I don't know how much I had in "book value" but it was a lot especially considering I was a kid...somewhere between 50k-100k. Card collecting use to be fun......

Every once in a while I make a purchase but it's rare. Last large one I made was a case of SI 4 Kids that has the issue with the Lebron James rookie.

Unfortunately the card industry, like many "things", has taken a hit and it's more of a "business" now instead of having fun. Like stated earlier cards started being mass produced and in addition companies started putting out "special sets", having "special" (like autographed, or a tiny piece of a "game worn" uniform on the card) and the price of "regular" cards was driven down.

Then along came "grading" companies (same thing happened in the diamond industry which is the business I am loosely in). This further drove the price down. It's not enough for a card to graded MINT now....it has to have a piece of paper from someone saying it is what it is.

All of this said I'd be glad to look at everything for your brother if you want to ship it to me. (I ain't gonna run off with your brothers cards lol). I'm sure there would be some things I'd like to have I'd make you an offer.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
easiest way to sell is online on craigslist or ebay. dealers won't give you anything.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I feel that pain -- sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky I was able to recover and I'm back to having complete sets from '67 to current' tops only -- My 66 set is lacking about 5 cards -- VERY hard ones to find and expensive ;o)...

Hope he gets back on his feet...

From about '76 on, those sets are up and down. Individual cards may need to get certified -- but even that costs... If they're in good shape -- ebay is the place to sell them. You can get a good idea of the value buy researching the avg cost. Dealers are gonna low-ball for sure, they are in business to make $$ so, they'll want to have room to make a profit, just part of the deal...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
I feel that pain -- sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky I was able to recover and I'm back to having complete sets from '67 to current' tops only -- My 66 set is lacking about 5 cards -- VERY hard ones to find and expensive ;o)...

Hope he gets back on his feet...

From about '76 on, those sets are up and down. Individual cards may need to get certified -- but even that costs... If they're in good shape -- ebay is the place to sell them. You can get a good idea of the value buy researching the avg cost. Dealers are gonna low-ball for sure, they are in business to make $$ so, they'll want to have room to make a profit, just part of the deal...

-Don
Yes. And even at that there are different companies that grade and they are not all alike.

But even comparing same card, same grade from the same company, prices are all over the map. This is just one card I pulled for example....

1975 Yount Rookie....PSA 9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-2...3D263046079065

vs

https://www.ebay.com/i/263046079065?chn=ps&dispItem=1

vs this one....NM but not graded....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-TOPPS-M...3D263046079065

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
I wish I still had some of those cards I put on my bicycle spokes back in the 60s.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I wish I still had some of those cards I put on my bicycle spokes back in the 60s.

Careful, or you will show your age, haha just kidding. But i remember doing that too, I mean who would of thought. Appreciatte all the good ideas. Going next week to sort through and see what he has, would be easier if he was there but his mind ain't in the game, bad wife, bad life, lives paycheck to paycheck , two kids. So hopefully he can make a little bit of money, every little bit helps
Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
Careful, or you will show your age, haha just kidding. But i remember doing that too, I mean who would of thought. Appreciatte all the good ideas. Going next week to sort through and see what he has, would be easier if he was there but his mind ain't in the game, bad wife, bad life, lives paycheck to paycheck , two kids. So hopefully he can make a little bit of money, every little bit helps
Hopefully things turn around for him. I recently went through a rough patch...deaths, medical, financial, Camaro broke down, etc...

Let me know if I can help.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Hopefully things turn around for him. I recently went through a rough patch...deaths, medical, financial, Camaro broke down, etc...

Let me know if I can help.

sorry for the rough patch as well, thanks appreciate the offer. will let you know.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #13
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
download 'OfferUp' and/or 'LetGo' apps - I've sold a bunch of collectible items there...

Facebook even has a 'Marketplace' you can list items - best part, they're all free to list items...
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote