Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
jdpeezy91

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Eletrical problems!

So ive been having some pretty bad eletrical issues in my 2012 2SS when the car is cold it fires up fine but once it runs for awhile even in a short drive sometimes when i go to start it just clicks like the battery is dead and ill have to wait a few seconds and try it a few more times usualy just getting a click again but eventualy it will start tho very weak and slow along with the starting issue my dash gauges flicker slightly sometimes its just barley noticable but consitant in all light conditions so not the headlight sensor and gets worse if i use the breaks or wipers it dims or flickers considerably.. this eletrical issue seems to be effecting performance as well as from time to time it has a slight miss or studder and gets alot of fast after fire pops like its getting to much fuel or not enough spark so it is affecting my ECM... ive been reading around the forums moved my main engine ground back to the block instead of sandwiched between the two nuts on the stud that helped for awhile but the issues came back been looking into this problem for sometime and still have get it figure it out any advice or help would be much appreciated! Also my car is modded tick "stage 2" cam gm high perf heads 1 7/8 headers CAI etc but i dont really belive this to be a heat soak issue as im having all these other eletrical gremlins
jdpeezy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
If you have the original battery in the car, it's 5 years old and that's about the term of life expectancy.

With headers, heat soak on the starter is a possibility, as well as the main power wire possibly getting burnt against a header. But given your description, it seems like the battery might be your problem.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
AutoZone and have them test the battery......

Seems that would let you know if the battery is shot.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Check Battery... not battery? Check ground points... all good? Replace Starter. Still having issues? Could be the BCM.

I was having similar issues until I replaced my starter. Slow crank. Sometimes wouldn't start at all. Other times it started, then all the bells and whistles and lights went off.

After Starter replacement:

Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
jdpeezy91

Autozone tested battery says its good on my meter at home its only reading 12.5v which seems low to me although its over 12v ive had other battery that would read 13 or higher on a full charge.. checked the grounds under the hood as i said after moving the ground back to the block it helped for awhile but the issue returned. Havent got under to check the wires on starter or engine mount ground? Excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the BCM
Old 08-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

There's an image somewhere (google) that shows the grounding points on your Camaro. Also, BCM stands for Body Control Module... this controls a lot of the functionality like lights etc.

I had a video of how it sounded before the starter replacement, but for some reason Youtube brought it down. Check it out:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=464447&page=2
Old 08-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Had a similar problem recently. Turned out the wiring harness that is secured to the passenger side of the engine had been cut by the clamp that holds it in place. Repaired the wires, rewrapped and rerouted the harness and all has been good.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Had a similar problem recently. Turned out the wiring harness that is secured to the passenger side of the engine had been cut by the clamp that holds it in place. Repaired the wires, rewrapped and rerouted the harness and all has been good.
Ill have to check the wiring harness hopefully whateverr it is is an easy fix BCM sounds complicated and expensive
Old 08-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 View Post
Ill have to check the wiring harness hopefully whateverr it is is an easy fix BCM sounds complicated and expensive
Its a small box maybe 6" x 6" if I recall correctly, and it will run you around 400 bucks, plus labor.

I recommend you change out your starter.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
jdpeezy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Can u send a pic of the harness i looked for a harness and do not have one on the passenger side of the block only wore on the block is a ground.. harness might of been moved by previous owner
Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 AM   #11
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504199

This might help
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You have a starter heat stroke most likely made worse by the heat of summer and a weak battery. Your car should be throwing a CEL with it resetting to rich mode,(safe) as mine does if I really drag the starter slow due to the heat then I simply limp it somewhere, let it cool and disconnect the battery and reconnect to clear the codes...after cooling...Its fine.

Other than that the replacement of the battery might be needed bad, a sanding inside of the ground connection which is crap in the trunk, and you could have a bad Module but if not heat stroke its too much initial timing, ( unlikely as tune works fine in cold). and the age of the starter which starters rarely last more than a few years of header heat from my experience over decades of hot rod driving. Good Luck. Also I always had to replace batteries long before their time at about 1/2 life.....
Old 08-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #13
jdpeezy91

Okay so just replaced my battery to a premium AGM battery and the issue got WORSE when driving battery charges good probley 15v or more judging from the poopy checy gauge get better number when i hook my tiner up but once i shut the car off i can watch my battery gauge drop rapidly to 12v almost immediately and when i try to turn it over now it just clicks and dosnt even try to start i takes between 5 - 10 trys just clicking before it will turn over what could be drawling all my juice like this
Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpeezy91 View Post
... poopy checy gauge
Are you typing on your cellphone?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote