Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
turbopote

Drives: 2013 LT
AC / Ventilation and smell Issues – 2013 Camaro

Is anybody having problems with the AC system? I run the ventilation on recycling mode most of the time, however I smell outside fumes on a randomly basis and it’s very annoying. My dealer hasn’t found any problem yet, but I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing similar issues.

Last edited by turbopote; 02-08-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: clarification
turbopote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopote View Post
Is anybody having problems with the AC system? I run the ventilation on recycling mode most of the time, however I smell outside fumes on a randomly basis and it’s very annoying. My dealer hasn’t found any problem yet, but I was wondering if anybody else was experiencing similar issues.
Yes I am having the same issue, but it only lasts for a quick period and not all the time so i'm sure its going to be a hard find for the dealer. The weird thing is there is no smell in the engine bay at all so I'm not sure what it could be.

I'm hoping its just a break-in thing and will go away, if it continues much longer I will head to the dealer.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 02-08-2013 at 09:55 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
turbopote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Yes I am having the same issue, but it only lasts for a quick period and not all the time so its going to be a hard find for the dealer. I'm hoping its just a break-in thing and will go away, if it continues much longer I will head to the dealer.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
My dealer couldn't find any problem; they had the car for 4 days and ran several diagnostics in the shop. I told them to take the car for a ride to see if they could duplicate the problem on traffic conditions, but they had no luck. They did mention there's a bulletin from GM saying that if you use the defroster, the recycling function may fail. The only temporary solution is to push the recycling button twice to force the outside ventilation inlet to close.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
My dealer couldn't find any problem; they had the car for 4 days and ran several diagnostics in the shop. I told them to take the car for a ride to see if they could duplicate the problem on traffic conditions, but they had no luck. They did mention there's a bulletin from GM saying that if you use the defroster, the recycling function may fail. The only temporary solution is to push the recycling button twice to force the outside ventilation inlet to close.
Holy crap they had your car for 4 days? I seem to notice it more when the car is 1st started but like I said not all the time, today there was no smell at all. What do you think it smells like? Sometimes I think it's an exhaust smell but sometimes it almost smells like a burning smell.

Also you should add the word "smell" to your topic title as that may get more people with the issue to reply. I also don't think its and AC issue as it happens with the AC off, it has to be some kind of ventilation issue.

The strange thing is I have a weird sound when starting and someone mentioned the compressor, I wonder if the 2 are tied together? Maybe the compressor is doing something funny at startup that is creating a buring smell.

I'm glad you posted this so I know I'm not the only one. I'm betting there will be others.

Last edited by nyrfan; 02-08-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
turbopote

Quote:
Holy crap they had your car for 4 days? I seem to notice it more when the car is 1st started but like I said not all the time, today there was no smell at all. What do you think it smells like? Sometimes I think it's an exhaust smell but sometimes it almost smells like a burning smell.

Also you should add the word "smell" to your topic title as that may get more people with the issue to reply. I also don't think its and AC issue as it happens with the AC off, it has to be some kind of ventilation issue.

The strange thing is I have a weird sound when starting and someone mentioned the compressor, I wonder if the 2 are tied together? Maybe the compressor is doing something funny at startup that is creating a buring smell.

I'm glad you posted this so I know I'm not the only one. I'm betting there will be others.
I've only noticed exhaust smell so far and it only occurs when I'm driving in traffic. Although I've noticed a weird sound when I get the engine started, I couldn't confirm if both issues are related. It doesn't matter if I have the AC on, or just the fan running in cool or heater mode. Most of the driving I do is on the highway, so I don't experience bumper to bumper conditions very often; that may be the reason why is so random.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
I've only noticed exhaust smell so far and it only occurs when I'm driving in traffic. Although I've noticed a weird sound when I get the engine started, I couldn't confirm if both issues are related. It doesn't matter if I have the AC on, or just the fan running in cool or heater mode. Most of the driving I do is on the highway, so I don't experience bumper to bumper conditions very often; that may be the reason why is so random.
Can you describe the startup sound you hear?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 02-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
turbopote

Quote:
Can you describe the startup sound you hear?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
I don't know much about engines but when I get it started the RPMs seem to increase erratically. Much like if there was an internal combustion problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Please let us know if your dealership comes to a resolution for you. Also I can check your VIN.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
shella076

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt rs/package
Looks like I'm not alone here!

Quote:
Yes I am having the same issue, but it only lasts for a quick period and not all the time so i'm sure its going to be a hard find for the dealer. The weird thing is there is no smell in the engine bay at all so I'm not sure what it could be.

I'm hoping its just a break-in thing and will go away, if it continues much longer I will head to the dealer.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
I has a similar problem with the a/c I noticed a couple days after I got the car the a/c wasn't as cold as I thought it should be. I asked my husband if he noticed it and he said yes but maybe because it was 103 outside? I have no clue a month later I was behind a p.u and I had the worst fumes come into the car smelled like brakes burning, and fumes. I first thought it was the car in front of me, I pulled over to give it some time opened my windows because I was literally chocking shut the air off and kept on going. It went away I never thought about it again, then it happened again and a couple days later I got a letter in the mail there is a recall on the a/c motor when I finally got my car into the dealership for the recall I no longer had a/c it blew out a horrible burning smell and a loud screeching sound. I dropped it off just for a recall got the car back with a check engine light on, donut powder all over my dash and crumbs on my floor oh and a large crack in windshield. Way to go service dept!!! A+ for trashing a brand new car I was told the reason my check engine light came on is because my sunroof needed to be reprogrammed. Really??? Do I look that stupid? I told the receptionist to get a clue before she tells me her diagnostics! I said to her in a nice way I may be a woman but I can tear down a 405 big block faster than she can put on her make up! Unless I am wrong but every mechanic that I asked said there is no way possible for the sunroof to set off the check engine light. Regardless that I said only the recall they call me to tell me I need a fuel injection flushing and I needed new brakes. I asked them who told them to go and check the fuel injectors.. the Service manager was silent I said only the recall. Well this is the problem of course they try to make money off you no matter why you bring in the car for service, they see a female and say let's take advantage of her... Not with me you won't! I told them they better fix my car and replace the windshield before the car will be back on the showroom floor through the front window! I seriously hate Chevy, Now my engine is leaking??????
shella076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
shella076

Drives: 2011 camaro 2lt rs/package
Quote:
I had a simialr issue where my a/c compressor was replaced I found this service bulletin below:

GM SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. 2011 CAMARO. AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR MAY NOT TURN ON OR OFF. THIS IS CAUSED BY THE BODY CONTROL MODULE. *RM
shella076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
turbopote

Quote:
Originally Posted by shella076 View Post
I had a simialr issue where my a/c compressor was replaced I found this service bulletin below:

GM SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. 2011 CAMARO. AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR MAY NOT TURN ON OR OFF. THIS IS CAUSED BY THE BODY CONTROL MODULE. *RM
I haven't used the AC yet. I bought the car in December 2012 and it hasn't been hot yet in South Alabama. I guess I'll have to wait a few months and see what happens when I have the AC running all the time.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Nick821

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS Convert
Same problem here...at first I that it was some of the labels and fluids that needed to burn off. 600 miles later still smells maybe not as bad but certainly enough for my wife to open the windows yesterday to get some fresh air. Seems to be only when the heat is on. I tried turning the heat full blast for an extended duration to accelerate any burn off to no avail. I'm not getting any fogging of the windows as you would with a bad heater core. Carpet is not wet. It's very frustrating and is ruining a otherwise great new car experience.
I'm a bit concern since my last experience with GM a 2004 and 2006 GTO with V8s had some major issues (replace engine and rear diff) although my 2011 CTS (V6) has had no issues.
Nick821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick821 View Post
Same problem here...at first I that it was some of the labels and fluids that needed to burn off. 600 miles later still smells maybe not as bad but certainly enough for my wife to open the windows yesterday to get some fresh air. Seems to be only when the heat is on. I tried turning the heat full blast for an extended duration to accelerate any burn off to no avail. I'm not getting any fogging of the windows as you would with a bad heater core. Carpet is not wet. It's very frustrating and is ruining a otherwise great new car experience.
I'm a bit concern since my last experience with GM a 2004 and 2006 GTO with V8s had some major issues (replace engine and rear diff) although my 2011 CTS (V6) has had no issues.
for me I get no smell when the heat or A/C is in, it's only on cool in fresh air mode.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 02-27-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
turbopote

Quote:
for me I get no smell when the heat or air is in, it's only on cool in fresh air mode.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
I get the smell both on heat and cool mode. I'll have to wait until temperatures rise and I can use the AC to see what happens. Very disappointing!