Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
Unit453

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Stock intake...

I was looking at it today. It really doesn't seem all that restrictive and appears that it would flow plenty. The stock paper filters probably out filter anything else out there on the market. The only thing I would do is cut off the resonators in the intake tract and just use a nice, smooth tube.

I also haven't seen many replacement filters out there as drop ins.

I've been modding diesels for a lot of years now and even those intakes are supporting upwards of 500 rwhp, in stock trim.

So, with all this talk about the CAI, exhaust and a tune, it got me thinking. Are the stock intakes that bad?

Sorry if this was a repost. I've been reading the stickies and searching all day.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
they aren't that bad, or restrictive. the stock intake is well engineered but there *are* gains to be had from aftermarket, if you are looking for more power. I would look at Janetty Racing's CAI testing threads to get an idea of what they can produce.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
It's not that restrictive, but there are a few CAI out there that give a justifiable HP increase for the money. CAI Inc.'s intake, per Janetty's testing, gave a 12 rwhp increase, so I would think that's a gain worth spending the $400 on.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There are a few shops that have replaced the intake pipe only. Unfortunately, the ones tested didn't fair so well. Basically they pulled about the same numbers as stock. Testing what works and doesn't, for a CAI, isn't as easy as it may seem. You'd be suprised at just how much testing and datalogging goes into making one. If it was as easy as replacing the pipe with a smooth one, no one would spend $300+ to get a aftermarket one.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #5
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I was thinking about replacing my stock intake with a New Era Intake pipe and a drop in K&N filter. Do you think this is a waste of money? ($150) Would the gains be much more noticable with a cai?

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote