Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
Shelf Life of Clay Lube?

I've had a spray bottle of Clay Magic lube in my cabinet in the house for about ten years along with the bar, still sealed. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to use the bar, but should I use the lube? The only other option I have right now is to use Adam's detail spray. I've read CamaroDreams07's Comprehensive Product Recommendation Guide (thank you for that), and I read where, even though it can be used for that purpose, there are cheaper alternatives. So, if no to the CM lube, what can I get at a local Autozone that will work? The weather tomorrow morning is going to be perfect for this job, so that's when I plan on starting the process. Thanks!

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
any quik detailer will work..but it's a great reason to have Optimum No Rinse (ONR) on your shelf as it can be a rinseless mix, a lube mix or a quik detail mix dpending on how you dilute it...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
It'll work fine... that Clay Magic is some of the best clay ever too... I still use some that's probably older than yours.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Mothers detail spray comes in the Mothers kit with the clay.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Any detail spray will work fine. The meguiars clay kit comes with a bottle of their detail spray for the lube. I'm sure Mothers is the same.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Thanks. Since I don't need another Clay bar, I'll get some ONR ordered from Autopia (hope the lid's on tight ) and use my Adams detail spray this time around. Just something about having product around for 10+ years leaves me somewhat skeptical about its effectiveness.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Well I think I should've been just as skeptical of the clay bar as the lube. Even though it was still in its original wrapping, first thing I noticed when I open it the corners of the bar were hard, but after about 15 minutes of kneading and adding some detail spray, it seemed as though it returned to the pliability I was expecting. So, I started on the front fascia after the dawn bath and wiping with more detail spray and everything seemed to go well. Very smooth surface and good wet look to the clearcoat. Fine so far and then I decided to work the hood over. This time I followed what I saw on a video where you go back-n-forth and side to side with not a lot of pressure. Everything seemed okay there as well, but after I washed the car with Adams car wash soap, dried with the waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray, the finish was not smooth at all. Doesn't seem like it was clayed. I noticed in the video where Adam said if the clay bar is sticky, it's effectively dead. Well, mine was sticky but I thought that amount of stickiness was just because there was no lube on it. I'm beginning to think the front fascia came out okay because I was bearing down on it as I have a tendency to do that, whether I'm washing or waxing (bad habit that I'm trying to break because it's not necessary anymore) but I made a point to go easy on the hood. So, do you think my clay bar failed? Time to chuck it?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Well I think I should've been just as skeptical of the clay bar as the lube. Even though it was still in its original wrapping, first thing I noticed when I open it the corners of the bar were hard, but after about 15 minutes of kneading and adding some detail spray, it seemed as though it returned to the pliability I was expecting. So, I started on the front fascia after the dawn bath and wiping with more detail spray and everything seemed to go well. Very smooth surface and good wet look to the clearcoat. Fine so far and then I decided to work the hood over. This time I followed what I saw on a video where you go back-n-forth and side to side with not a lot of pressure. Everything seemed okay there as well, but after I washed the car with Adams car wash soap, dried with the waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray, the finish was not smooth at all. Doesn't seem like it was clayed. I noticed in the video where Adam said if the clay bar is sticky, it's effectively dead. Well, mine was sticky but I thought that amount of stickiness was just because there was no lube on it. I'm beginning to think the front fascia came out okay because I was bearing down on it as I have a tendency to do that, whether I'm washing or waxing (bad habit that I'm trying to break because it's not necessary anymore) but I made a point to go easy on the hood. So, do you think my clay bar failed? Time to chuck it?
Clay requires you to put some elbow grease on it. Don't be afraid to bear down a little with it and apply some pressure (within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister). As long as you have enough lube, you won't do any damage.

As far as the stickiness, I haven't heard that before. Go get a brand new claybar from Mother's and unwrap it. It's very sticky and IMO, works extremely well.

If I were you, I'd chuck the clay for good and get one of the new clay replacements such as the Speedy Prep towel, or the Nanoskin sponge or towel.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Chubby
Account Suspended

Drives: Busted
If its sticky its too warm and not enough lube.

I use a diluted mixture of water and dawn soap. Of course I do a full wax/polish after.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Clay requires you to put some elbow grease on it. Don't be afraid to bear down a little with it and apply some pressure (within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister). As long as you have enough lube, you won't do any damage.

As far as the stickiness, I haven't heard that before. Go get a brand new claybar from Mother's and unwrap it. It's very sticky and IMO, works extremely well.

If I were you, I'd chuck the clay for good and get one of the new clay replacements such as the Speedy Prep towel, or the Nanoskin sponge or towel.
Thanks CD07 (<--- hope you don't mind) I think to finish up the job I'll stop in Autozone and pick up a Mother's clay kit, and add the surface prep towel to my Autopia cart (it's starting to fill up)

"(within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister)" Were you watching the French open this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
If its sticky its too warm and not enough lube.

I use a diluted mixture of water and dawn soap. Of course I do a full wax/polish after.
Chubby!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Thanks CD07 (<--- hope you don't mind) I think to finish up the job I'll stop in Autozone and pick up a Mother's clay kit, and add the surface prep towel to my Autopia cart (it's starting to fill up)

"(within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister)" Were you watching the French open this weekend?

Chubby!
Lol no. I don't watch Tennis, but those Williams sisters (brothers?) scare the hell out of me.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Chubby
Account Suspended

Drives: Busted
Quote:

Chubby!
Welcome. And by warm I mean the ambient air temp or metal surface temp. Keep it wet and cool and make sure it doesn't stick. I disagree that it takes elbow grease. It just takes time. Just let the clay bar glide over the surface. If its sticking, more water and lube. Obviously, stay out of the sun.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote