Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Smelling Antifreeze inside my 2014 Camaro

I was hoping someone could help me out, I have a 2014 Camaro RS V6 and the past week I've been smelling antifreeze, not strong smell, very faint. I thought it was nothing, I might of stepped in a leak or something while I was out. Well the last two days it's been getting worse. And today I was taking my son to work and we both smelled it so badly, had to open the windows. I began to smell smokey burning and I pulled over opened the hood and didn't see anything at all. Continued to drive but it got worse. It seems like when I have the defroster on, it's worse, almost like it's blowing in through the defrosters. And where the best comes out on th window, it gets a film, like when you put your breath on the window and draw on it, I think it's the antifreeze, but idk. No problem lights came on, the temperature gauge seems normal and from what I see, no leaks. Of course my husband is working all day and I can't reach him until tonight. Was just hoping someone give me an idea of what this could be. I'm hoping not a head gasket or something similar, had that a long time ago with my 98 Camaro. And I'm hoping whatever it is, should be covered under the warranty, I have a little over 18,000 miles on it so far. Please help, any idea would be greatly appreciated, just to ease my mind a bit. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Sounds like the heater core is leaking. Check to see if the passenger side carpet is wet. Also check the antifreeze level. Been there done that many times over the years.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The very common Camaro heater core failure. The forum pages are loaded with people complaining about this problem.

Call the dealer and get the car in before it lets go completely and your carpets get a coolant bath. If you happen to get coolant into the carpets, insist that the dealer replace the carpet AND the padding or you'll never get the smell out of the car.

This is a warranty repair but the entire interior and dash has to come out and most likely the windshield as well.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
babymandm

Wow. Thankfully it's covered under the warranty. So this is common with this year Camaro or Camaro in general? There's something with these 14's. My husband bought a new 14 Silverado Rally Sport edition and he only put 5,000 miles on it and the engine blew. The dealer told him at that time there were only a few of that engine in the USA and they had to have it shipped from somewhere and a friend of ours who used to work at dealership in another state told us they had the same thing happen with a customer with a 14 Silverado. I'm so disgusted. I'm guessing this could take a while to repair. Thankfully I'm on vacation all week, but when you don't have a car, that's when you want one. Thank you for the help.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
babymandm

Also, shouldn't this cause a light to come on in my car? You would think with it would, but there is no warning lights or engine light, seems fine.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymandm View Post
Also, shouldn't this cause a light to come on in my car? You would think with it would, but there is no warning lights or engine light, seems fine.
Not until your antifreeze level gets low enough or the car over heats. I would be willing to bet that if you were to check the level that it is low. I wouldn't drive it.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
babymandm

Thank you. Once my husband gets home, I'm going to have him check the antifreeze level. I'm going to have to drive it to the dealer, they're about 10 minutes away. I hope it gets me there with no problems. Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
motorhead

Quote:
Thank you. Once my husband gets home, I'm going to have him check the antifreeze level. I'm going to have to drive it to the dealer, they're about 10 minutes away. I hope it gets me there with no problems. Thanks again.
Driving to the dealer shouldn't be a problem when it's that close. Just keep an eye on the temp. Also make sure you check the carpets good. If it were mine I would make them replace the carpet if if got soaked with antifreeze.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
babymandm

I went out and checked and the floors are dry. I hope I can make it down ok. When my husband gets home, I'm going to have him check the antifreeze level. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
TheHorse13

Quote:
Wow. Thankfully it's covered under the warranty. So this is common with this year Camaro or Camaro in general? There's something with these 14's. My husband bought a new 14 Silverado Rally Sport edition and he only put 5,000 miles on it and the engine blew. The dealer told him at that time there were only a few of that engine in the USA and they had to have it shipped from somewhere and a friend of ours who used to work at dealership in another state told us they had the same thing happen with a customer with a 14 Silverado. I'm so disgusted. I'm guessing this could take a while to repair. Thankfully I'm on vacation all week, but when you don't have a car, that's when you want one. Thank you for the help.
Bad heater cores have plagued the Gen 5 Camaros from the very start of production. GM has never solved the issue.

Depending on your dealer and parts availability, the repair can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. If you search this forum for, "heater core" you can look at pictures from others who have gone through this repair.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
babymandm

Wow, I hope it don't take a few weeks. I had to drop it off this morning where I bought it and they're supposed to let me know. They are not the best for service and I know they give you a hard time if you ask for a loaner car. Does Chevy's warranty allow you a loaner or is that a service the dealer gives you? Cause if it's going to take weeks, I'm going to need a vehicle.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
TheHorse13

My dealer always provided me with a loaner when doing warranty work. I can't speak for other dealers though.