Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
10camaro89

Drives: 2010 summit white 2lt rs package
Hand porting throttle body

Hey I am wondering if anyone has ported there stock throttle body themselves I've. Done this on previous cars I've owned with success mainly wondering if there is a big benefit from just regular porting to the spiral porting like the vmax ported throttle body. I tried searching to see if anyone has asked but haven't found anything so figured I would
Danny
10camaro89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Colt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS Victory Red
This was discussed in the past some, and I think the general conclusion, was if you are completely comfortable doing it, go ahead. I haven't heard of any problems from people who know what they're doing.

I'll see if I can find a couple of the links for you.

EDIT: Here you go,

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142637

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290585
Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
I want to purchase a VMAX Throttle Body but it seems to be more then 150.00 . . .

It's $150 after you get $200 refunded back to you after you send them back the throttle body you currently have. You also have to ask for a "used" ptb to make it $150. That's what I did.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10camaro89 View Post
Hey I am wondering if anyone has ported there stock throttle body themselves I've. Done this on previous cars I've owned with success mainly wondering if there is a big benefit from just regular porting to the spiral porting like the vmax ported throttle body. I tried searching to see if anyone has asked but haven't found anything so figured I would
Danny
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Some people do more harm than good. You also cannot use a hand ported TB as a VMAX core if you decide to go that route, so keep that in mind.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
It's $150 after you get $200 refunded back to you after you send them back the throttle body you currently have. You also have to ask for a "used" ptb to make it $150. That's what I did.
who's selling new ones for more?

I have 12 in stock
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I got a used one from JDP, as a "new" one added $125, but I didn't really get this since I thought they always just took users' cores and ported those. Are "new" ones cores straight from the factory or something?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I got a used one from JDP, as a "new" one added $125, but I didn't really get this since I thought they always just took users' cores and ported those. Are "new" ones cores straight from the factory or something?
Sometimes customers will want to keep their core, so we have to replace the core with a new TB to keep the program going.

There are also those with very little miles on their car who want the new option. That is why we offer both options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Should I get the ported Throttle Body? I got the ICE-olator
It's a great mod and compliments the ICE-olator nicely. I would recommend it.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
There's a motorcycle shop here in town that mainly gets work from car people wanting to get ported parts done maybe I could try them instead?

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote