Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-18-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Mario Maldonado

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
2013 SS 1Le transmission throw out bearing whine

The throw out beaing makes a sharp whine when the outside tenp is 50F and under until i drive it 15mins plus for warm up then the whine stops and the normal throw out bearing noise stays i know these cars transmissions are noisy i just wanna make sure i dont have to make a dealership appt soon car has 47k miles

Noise link
http://youtu.be/Itk93cOvO8g
After warm up
http://youtu.be/c13I0vb15Sc
Mario Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
It's done, you'll need to replace it and upgrade to the billet bearing support.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Mario Maldonado

Damn would they do it under warranty ? I mean i really dont wanna do the work unless i have to.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Warranty is only to 36,000.
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #5
Mario Maldonado

I mean the 5yr 100k mile warranty for the drive train
Old 11-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
White_SS/RS

If your under warranty, yes, they should fix it. But they will just put the same weak part back in and your more than likely to run into the problem again. You may be able to convince them to put in the billet piece. I had the same problem, it melts the bearing support and subsequently destroys the release bearing. I changed it out myself since the dealer wouldnt put in the billet piece. The slave and release bearing come as one part and you need to dissasemble it to install the billet bearing support.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Mario Maldonado

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
If your under warranty, yes, they should fix it. But they will just put the same weak part back in and your more than likely to run into the problem again. You may be able to convince them to put in the billet piece. I had the same problem, it melts the bearing support and subsequently destroys the release bearing. I changed it out myself since the dealer wouldnt put in the billet piece. The slave and release bearing come as one part and you need to dissasemble it to install the billet bearing support.
Awesome well thanks for the quick response ! I just bought the car less then a month ago i dint buy the 2015 cause i hate the taillights but now am stuck with this car i mean the noise it makes only happens on a cold start which by cold i mean cold weather because today is 72f and i hear nothing i guess the video makes it sound alot worse i will ride it until it squeels like a pig or blows up
Old 11-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Maldonado View Post
Awesome well thanks for the quick response ! I just bought the car less then a month ago i dint buy the 2015 cause i hate the taillights but now am stuck with this car i mean the noise it makes only happens on a cold start which by cold i mean cold weather because today is 72f and i hear nothing i guess the video makes it sound alot worse i will ride it until it squeels like a pig or blows up
I suppose you could run it until it goes completely out. I'm guessing since its whining that the bearings already burned up and starting to come apart.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Since its used you may want to try changing the transmission fluid. If the previous owner put in a non-spec thicker trans fluid it could be affecting the cold temp flow. Some of the manual transmission fluids out there are close to gear oil in viscosity while the Tremec is spec'd for ATF.

Edit: ah the throw out bearing is likely outside and is greased?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I started having this exact same noise when cold after I installed the Z/28 diff cooler kit, and another member also has this noise (only at cold), and his car is a new 1LE (with the Z/28 diff cooler installed by the dealer before delivery). In other words,I wonder if this might be something else, considering the other guy's car is new, and his bearing shouldn't be shut.

Here is yenkostyle's related post:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...14#post8716514

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkostyle View Post
The OP sent me a pm so I sent one back.Here is what i wrote:

I do have the cooler.I added it when I made my order through Becky at rodgers chevy. It was installed at the dealer prior to delivery of the car to me. It is under warranty as well

As far as any difference it makes: I really can't answer that yet. I just finished my first track day but ambient Temps were in the mid 50*-lower 60* so I am sure not enough to really tell.

Once installed there is an audible gurgling noise when the car is cold, which, is unsettling if you don't know it's supposed to be there.

Anyway that's about all I can report for now. I hope it helps.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
Inferno1LE

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
I had mine start making that noise last year. 10 minutes later, my clutch pedal dropped to the floor, the spring from the throw out bearing got tangled up in the clutch fingers and destroyed everything in 1 shot. Dealer would have fixed it under warranty, but I didn't want that clutch in the car anymore, so I bought a Mantic clutch (which came with a GM throw out bearing) and took the new GM parts to sell. Low and behold, the new throw out bearing was a totally different design and now has a metal sleeve inside the plastic bushing. No one would know this if they didn't have both parts side by side. Attached is the picture so you can see what I'm talking about. Bottom line, I'd have the dealer fix it under warranty, but make sure the bearing they are putting in has the brown boot and metal sleeve, not the green boot with the all plastic bushing. Or, as others have said, replace the plastic bushing with a metal one. Oh, and my car only had 7,000 miles on it, so I think mileage is irrelevant.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #12
White_SS/RS

Mine was at 7000 when it failed as well. Do you have a pic with the boot pulled back and the bearing off to get a better look at the bearing support?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Inferno, do you have the GM # for the slave furnished by Mantic?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
Inferno1LE

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS 1LE
Those are the only pictures I have, it's in the car now. If you look at the first pic, you can see a metal sleeve on top of the white plastic bushing (new style), while the one on the right has a solid black piece of plastic (old style). There was no part number change to my knowledge, probably because that would be admitting that they knew there was a problem with the old design. GM doesn't like to admit that they make mistakes (ever tried shifting from second to 3rd at 6500 RPMs in a 1LE????), they told me that the grinding sound was "acting as designed", but I digress.

Mantic supplies a direct OE bearing with no modifications, I called them to ask. The one I got from Mantic is actually the older design, but I bought my Mantic clutch from someone here who had it sitting on a shelf brand new in the box for 2 years... Hence the older model slave I suspect.
Inferno1LE is offline   Reply With Quote