Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
IamLliw

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro
what's better? turbocharger or supercharger?

i know this might have been asked before...but I really don't want to go searching for it cause I just woke up.

i was wondering what's better for a V6. a twin turbo like jay leno or a supercharger.

i am not too sure bout the differences between the two. could someone explain it to me?

thank you! =)
IamLliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Well at the So Cal meet they had in April they ran all the supercharged Camaro's and a turbocharged Camaro as well and the numbers showed that the turbo had better numbers simply because they are more efficient (as far as not loosing any power due to the extra belt etc) but these were V8's running them not the V6 however that shouldn't affect the results of how they would fare with each other again.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
this is the turbo vs super charger argument in a nut shell:

a turbo is better for high speed boost, the power from a super charger is available throughout the entire rpm range. if you want reliability then you should go with a super charger, if you want better gas milage you should go with a turbo.

in all reality if you dont care about spending more money on gas then a super charger is better because they last a lot longer, and are less prone to breaking down.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLliw View Post
i know this might have been asked before...but I really don't want to go searching for it cause I just woke up.

i was wondering what's better for a V6. a twin turbo like jay leno or a supercharger.

i am not too sure bout the differences between the two. could someone explain it to me?

thank you! =)
TURBO FTW.......

Fastlane Performance Turbo Package for the SS ran....10.86 @127 MPH during the LSX shootout. That's with 585rwhp, with a L99. All that for 9k FLAT. Can't be that.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do some reading, don't make your decision off what a bunch of guys on the internet told you. Find out how a turbocharged or supercharged system works first.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If properly setup, a modern turbo system > blower. It's simply a more efficient design and with the right compressor sizing turbo lag is non-existent.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
If properly setup, a modern turbo system > blower. It's simply a more efficient design and with the right compressor sizing turbo lag is non-existent.
Better turbo technology has certainly REDUCED turbo lag significantly, but whenever you're using a turbo lag WILL be present. How much, depends on the setup of course, and can be greatly reduced...but the less lag, generally, the less power as well. Typically, people using power adders are doing it for exactly what the topic name implies...adding power. So a tiny turbo that has nearly unnoticeable amounts of lag most likely isn't going to make the power the owner wants.

I do agree that the turbo is a more efficient design, though.

In the end it all comes down to preference. In my experience, turbos can add mind blowing power. The problem lays in the initial lag, and then the sheer suddenness of the onset of the power (sudden large increase in power = more shock to driveline components). Though recent technological improvements have made this less of a factor, turbos also tend to be less reliable than their belt-driven counterparts. Turbos can also be more difficult to tune for, imo. Also, turbo's don't mix that fantastically with manual transmissions, since they pretty much lose all boost with every shift, having to spool again after gear engagement. If you're gonna go turbo, you'll wanna have either an auto-tranny, or a well programmed no-lift-shift feature and a lot of confidence in your shifts.

Superchargers, on the other hand, don't seem to make the same kind of efficient power that turbos can (since by their very design they're parasitic to the engines power, using a good portion of the engine's power output to compress the incoming air.) Personally, I find SC's easier both to maintain and to install. Being the kinda guy that feels awkward with an auto, the SC is a better fit for me and my M6 because it's not going to bleed off boost every time I back off the throttle to shift.

Like I said, it all comes down to preference, and it's probably obvious where my preference is. Something about the whine of a supercharger gets me all giddy

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
esfkotaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Sequential twin turbo ftw!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I vote for whichever one actually comes into existence. These cars have been out for over a year now and we still don't have anything better than "nearly finished" prototypes.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
verboten

Drives: Black
Turbo has better handling due to lower center of gravity.
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Eleven Charley

Drives: White 2010 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten View Post
Turbo has better handling due to lower center of gravity.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #12
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLliw View Post

thank you! =)

Hey, when you wake up do the search. There are tons of thread on this topic.