Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
brandi576

Drives: 2010 synergy green camaro
Something needs to be done about bullying in schools

There are to many young kids taking thier own lives these days due to other kids being bullys at school! This subject has hit close to home..Monday a friend of the familys 13 yr old son took his life due to being bullied at the middle school! Not only do we know this family but my 13yr old goes to this same school as well!! No parent should have to burry thier own child especially because other kids have pushed them to thier limit! Its very sad and its becoming to common to read about this sort of thing in the news!! I ask everyone to please talk to thier children about this matter, whether they are the ones being a bully or the one being bullied...no more children should fell compelled to take thier own lives due to this matter!!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
this is a double edge sword. . . I do agree with you 100%. . . I do not know the situation or anything, but where were the parents? I believe the parents should be in every aspect of a child's life. . . I know mine where. . .yes I was pissed at the time, but looking back now, I do see why it happened.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's definitely a growing problem. Glad I don't have kids yet.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
I was accused of bullying a couple of kids at the bus stop in middle school, I had no idea they were intimidated by me. Their older brother came with them one day and spelled it out to me....blindside sucker punch! my point being at least they told someone.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Parents need to take charge. Parents know if their Kids are little assholes. The problem is that the Parents are probably big assholes. It's a vicious cycle :(
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Sorry to hear about that - no child should have to endure the results of bullying - IMO

Our local school district has a very good system in place and it is very effective... Because it's the Law in Wisconsin that each school have a policy against it:

Harassment/Bullying

All persons are expected to respect the feelings of others. Vulgar, abusive, or defamatory language is not acceptable. Intimidation of peers such as threats, comments, name-calling etc., is also unacceptable. Intimidation
may result in suspension, referral to law enforcement officers, or others with sanctions determined by the school administration. Students who feel threatened or harassed are encouraged to notify a teacher, school counselor, or principal.

Bullying is deliberate or intentional behavior using words or actions, intended to cause fear, intimidation or harm. Bullying may be a repeated behavior and involves an imbalance of power. The behavior may be motivated by an
actual or perceived distinguishing characteristic, such as, but not limited to: age, national origin, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical attributes, physical or mental ability or disability, and social, economic or family status.

Bullying behavior can be:
• Physical (e.g. assault, hitting or punching, kicking, theft, threatening behavior)
• Verbal (e.g. threating of intimidating language, teasing or name-calling, racist remarks)
• Indirect (e.g. spreading cruel rumors, intimidation through gestures, social exclusion and sending insulting messages or pictures by mobile phone or using the internet-also known as cyber bullying)

Bullying behavior is prohibited in all schools, buildings, property and educational environments including any property or vehicle owned, leased, or used by the school district. This includes public transportation used by students to go to and from school. Educational environments include, but are not limited to every activity under
school supervision.

All school staff members and school officials who observe or become aware of acts of bullying are required to report these acts to the school administration. Any other person, including a student who is either a victim or is aware of the bullying or any other concerned individual, is encouraged to report the conduct to a school staff
member or administrator. Reports of bullying may be made verbally or in writing and may be made confidentially. All such reports, whether verbal or in writing, will be taken seriously and a clear account of the incident will be documented. A written record of the report, including all pertinent details, will be made by the recipient of the report. There shall be no retaliation against individuals making such reports. Individuals
engaging in retaliatory behavior will be subject to disciplinary action.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Drives: C6, 2005 Corvette
The problem is the schools won't allow the kids to fight back!! If a child is bullied they are given the same punishment if they push back! Its a bunch of bull sh**!!!!!! So If a bully pushes another kid down and that kid stands up and pushes back they both get suspended, and the teachers know who the trouble makers are!!! BUT RULES WILL BE RULES!!! ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
brandi576

Yes parents definately need to take charge..if i hear of any of my boys being mean to another child they get into a lot of trouble...i constantly tell them if u dont like someone for some reason just stay away from them! i also tell them just remember theres always going to be someone out there that doesnt like things about you either and u wouldnt want them to pick on u or put u down for it!!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
brandi576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
The problem is the schools won't allow the kids to fight back!! If a child is bullied they are given the same punishment if they push back! Its a bunch of bull sh**!!!!!! So If a bully pushes another kid down and that kid stands up and pushes back they both get suspended, and the teachers know who the trouble makers are!!! BUT RULES WILL BE RULES!!! ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!
that is very true bonnie!
Old 10-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
send your kids to karate class.

problem solved.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
The only day of School my youngest son missed in 13 years was for this reason.Another kid started something ,My son stood his ground and got suspended one day for his efforts.The other kid got 3 days I think.
One of the things we had to do before they let my son back in school was to have a conference with the Principal.
During this "Conference" the Principal told my son that he shouldn't fight and he should tell a teacher what is going on.But this happened during recess on a cold day.All the recess "monitors" were huddled in the doorway ,so it was not possible to get a teachers attention.
After the Principal was done speaking her piece I turned to my son and told him that if he feels threatened by ANYONE at anytime he has every right to defend himself.The Principal couldn't believe I told my son this.
There were witnesses to the fight that stated the other boy started it and put my son in a headlock ,so it wasn't possible to "tell a teacher" at that moment.The Principals view on fighting is "it takes two to fight" so my son was suspended for one day ,which was the only day of school he missed in k-12.
As a result my son was never bothered by anyone in school again,maybe because other kids new he would stand his ground.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
...After the Principal was done speaking her piece I turned to my son and told him that if he feels threatened by ANYONE at anytime he has every right to defend himself.The Principal couldn't believe I told my son this...
Good for you for telling him this!! Same advice my pops gave us when we were kids, "Don't fight, but if you do you'd better win..."

A few years ago, a girl in my sister's high school took her life because people were making fun of her constantly saying that she was ugly and no guy would date her, but eventually they made up other things. She didn't even get to see her 20th b-day :(
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
First of all, I'm sorry for your friend and her family.

I agree with Bonnie as part of this. Basically you're asking children to repress anger and frustration.

I don't know any specifics in the case above, but I see this as an increase in suicide period. I have had personal experience with suicide in my family and the very first instinct is to look at an outside source to blame. Then over time in our case you realize that really it was mostly an internal thing and outside sources just added fuel to the fire.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Parents need to take charge. Parents know if their Kids are little assholes. The problem is that the Parents are probably big assholes. It's a vicious cycle :(
Sad, but true.

I taught middle school (7th grade) for 7 years and did my best to look out for all my students, but even with eyes in the back of your head it takes more than just the schools. Now with facebook, texting, etc.

Best thing to do is educate kids what to do if (when) they are bullied....It will happen to all kids at some point...They need to speak up and let people know it's happening.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote