Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Gauge advice

Hey all, could use your help again. I think it's about time to put on some guages and could use your advice.

I like the Aeroforce interceptor and PLX dm-100 odb. Are these boost gauges as well, do I need to order a separate line to run to my whipple? Is there a reason you'd recommend one over the other?

If they are not boost gauges as well could you recommend one please?

Why should I get a wideband guage? Is there any particular need for it, can a scan gauge like those above give me AFR?

There seem to be two options for pods, honestly I'm not fond of either (Actually the Nicky Chicago one is bad ass, but can't give up my AC vent.) Autometer and Fesler. Am I missing any? Is either a better product than the other?

Thanks for your help folks.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I have the Fesler dual gauge pod... With the cobalt AEM gauges...

I asked my builder about his recommendations, and I ended up with an analog vacuum/boost and an electronic fuel pressure gauge.. I was told that fuel pressure gauges are more rapid responding and give you an indication of the overall fuel system condition... I'm sure there are arguments for different gauges, but this is why I went the way I did...

Try to get a boost gauge that will show your expected peak boost in the middle of the boost section... If you expect to run 8 - 10 psi, then get a gauge that goes to 20 psi... Accuracy is in the middle of any gauge sweep...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
bigsquirrel

Thanks SSE, any opinions on the scanner gauges?

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
Thanks SSE, any opinions on the scanner gauges?
I've never used one, but, check with Kyle.gilmour, I think he is using one, not too sure...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
east TX Muscle cars

Drives: 2x 05 Vettes/65'AC cobra/68 camaro
we have used and sole the aeroforce for 4-5 years now and they are a AWESOME gauge.
you cannot beat what all they can do. if you want boost you have to buy the separate map sensor and then just input it into the aeroforce gauge and then it will display boost just like anything else on it.

the PLX we have also sold for many years and is a good gauge.

in all my personal cars i run the dual aeroforce gauges. Let me know if you have any questions about them.
east TX Muscle cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
bigsquirrel

Thanks, called you guys waiting for the price. A pillar pod, dual gauges, boost hookup

Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
if you buy a separate map sensor (3 bar), you need to change some variables in the tune via hp tuners or efi live....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #8
bigsquirrel

I've got mixed opinions on the three bar, my tuner (a very well educated man) kinda laughed when I asked about it, his opinion that unless I was putting out almost twice the power I put down now there was no point.

Last edited by bigsquirrel; 06-25-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: drunken grammar