Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
rahz28
Z28 Historian

Drives: 73 Z28,86,87 Z28, 2010 1LT/RS
2010 Challenger vs. 2010 Camaro - V6 models

Just got back from a weekend trip to North Carolina for family event, and had a chance to rent a 2010 Challenger SE....actuall both the Challenger and Camaro were available for rental but since I have a V6 Camaro on order, so wanted to try the Challenger SE out.

Cut to the chase: Camaro is the right decision. (no i don't want to talk about 'you should have got the SS.....I have other V8 Z28's for the 'thrill' of it).

The Challenger is big, comfortable, quiet, and a nice 'cruiser'. It was white, and i was having 'Vanishing Point' Flashbacks! The V6 is ok, and we got 25mpg while 'driving enthusiastically'. The automatic transmission is still a 'chrysler' product tho, and 'hunts' WAY too much....typical 'lockup'....then lose steam, wait too long before it 'unlocks'....the locks again, repeat...UGG!!

I am glad the camaro v6 has the 6-speed manual option, which i ordered.

Challenger trunk ate up all our luggage with no problem, and was comfortable cruising...but the interior design left me cold...kinda 'felt' like a rental car...especially the 'white' gauges at night...i did NOT like that.....

The Camaro's i have test driven, feels more of a sports car, and you feel a 'part' of the car....and from the inside looking out of the camaro, the hood bulge, and the rear fender bulges in the rear mirrors remind you that you are in a very stylized car.

The Challenger view out the front , you don't notice the hood bulge, and the sides are very 'flat'....

This is not a 'bashing' Challenger blog...just some thoughts.....

My wife said it best...they shouldn't be 'compared'....they are different cars for different reasons...

I am very glad i have a Camaro on order...

1st Camaro memory: Cousin's brand new 1969 Z28 Black w/White stripes...I was 7 and a Camaro fan forever after.Multiple Camaro Owner...Latest 2010 1LT/RS.
rahz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
thanks for the review. I really like the looks of the challenger, personally I think its a beautiful car. Dodge did a great job of taking it back in time to look like the original. But, I love my camaro and from what I have read the camaro is the better car. I haven't driven a challenger so I can only go by what I have read. Hmmmm maybe I should go test drive one just for the hell of it.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I'm a Dodge guy and I can say that in the V6 trims and powertrains the Camaro and new Mustang are easy choices over the Challenger.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
I am a Dodge/Pontiac guy myself. I love Camaros, but if they had a Firebird... welll lets just say I would have me a screaming chicken! I love the Challenger looks as well, but they frankly priced themselves out of the market for a decent one.

Dont get me wrong, it was Camaro first, then Dodge! unless they had a Trans Am... with a T-Top...

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
It's difficult to get a good impression from a rental car. they are rentals and don't typically come with many thrills. Too bad they didn't have an upgrade on the lot. Go take a real test drive, that should help if you want a better idea of the car.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJeeper View Post
Dont get me wrong, it was Camaro first, then Dodge! unless they had a Trans Am... with a T-Top...
Oh, do NOT get me started! 2010 Trans Am with a T-Top... whoaaaa... I'd buy it in a heartbeat! I've been in love with the Trans Am for YEARS, so I know exactly what you're sayin'.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
i think the challenger looks bad ass man. it is also true that styling wise they are two totally different cars. the challenger SRT sounds unbelievably mean !!!

if the challenger SRT8 wasn't so damn expensive i would seriously have considered it !!
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
az2009se

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS 2009 Challenger SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahz28 View Post
My wife said it best...they shouldn't be 'compared'....they are different cars for different reasons...
You have a very wise wife. I own both a SE Challenger and LS Camaro. They are indeed very different cars and I love both of them.
az2009se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
dreeve

Drives: 1993 lt1 z28
ill admit one thing i do like about the challenger is that you can see the whole hood while your sitting in the car...just like the old muscle cars, but thats all
1993 lt1 z28,BBK 52mm throttle body,accel 30lb injectors,edelbrock intake,port/polished heads,1.6 rockers,erson 222in/226ex .480 lift cam,Dougs shorty headers,pcmforless chip,RK Sport competition intake , monster transmission, 3.73's, bmr suspension
[IMG][/IMG]
dreeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #10
marcao

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My wife and I test drove both cars, the Camaro SS and Challenger SRT. We both fell in love with the look of the Chally, but when we stepped in it, we were a little disappointed to say the least. My GF owns a Jeep, and our 1st impression was that they used Jeep parts to build the dashboard. Not great for a sports car. I also had a hard time finding a good driving position. Performance wise, it was something else though. The car is big, but the power is there and the handling is good. But in the end, we ordered a Camaro because it beats the Chally in all aspects. We fell at home the minute we sat in it. And the power...and the handling... what can we say about them? That's why we placed our order in January 2010 and received a beautiful IOM 2SS/RS last week!!!
marcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcao View Post
My wife and I test drove both cars, the Camaro SS and Challenger SRT. We both fell in love with the look of the Chally, but when we stepped in it, we were a little disappointed to say the least. My GF owns a Jeep, and our 1st impression was that they used Jeep parts to build the dashboard. Not great for a sports car. I also had a hard time finding a good driving position. Performance wise, it was something else though. The car is big, but the power is there and the handling is good. But in the end, we ordered a Camaro because it beats the Chally in all aspects. We fell at home the minute we sat in it. And the power...and the handling... what can we say about them? That's why we placed our order in January 2010 and received a beautiful IOM 2SS/RS last week!!!
"My wife and I test drove both cars.........My girlfriend owns a Jeep....." Pretty understanding wives up there in Canada. I'd let her pick whatever car she wants!
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:37 AM   #12
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Test drove the V6 Challenger as well as the SRT. Looks wise, they were great. But the interior left me very "cold". And the handling was not what I expected. And when I checked on the insurance, both models were much more expensive than comparable Camaros. I drove the Camaro and the choice became easy.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
Igottahaveone
Car lover

Drives: '10 Challenger RT Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART-2008 View Post
"My wife and I test drove both cars.........My girlfriend owns a Jeep....." Pretty understanding wives up there in Canada. I'd let her pick whatever car she wants!

too funny!

It's nice to see a thread where car bashing isnt going on but actual good comments and thoughts are being shared. For me the choice was a Challenger more so for the trunk space and being able to carry 4-5 people comfortably since I need to fit a wheelchair in the trunk from time to time and to taxi around stepdaughter and stepson as well as their friends occationally. Both cars have a great look to them. The way i look at it, so far in my life, well driving life of 20 yrs or so, I have driven some fords, a chevy and now onto a Mopar. Just doing my part to support the American automakers.
Igottahaveone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
I was on the highway today and next to a car carrier full of Challengers...they are nice looking cars on the outside!!...
I have not seen the inside or driven one, but I do admire their looks....