Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
BGKySS

Drives: Cyber Grey 2010 2SS RS
variable vane turbo..

I know these are getting used like crazy in the diesel world but why have they not jumped over into our world. I've been watching videos of of guys being able to pkay with them and build boost at idle. I just think something like thiat would be awesome for a street car and finally give the supercharger guys something to worry about off the line.. so with that, thoughts?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
VGT (variable geometry turbo) is popular in diesel in OEM forms, we all jump to traditional turbos in the aftermarket. Diesels need lots of torque down low for hauling, we don't need that power curve, so we don't use vgt.

Not to mention, VGT turbos on diesels are usually sub 60mm, and have very little power potential. Our cars need 70mm or greater compressor wheels. If there was one thing from my diesel I'd like on my camaro, it'd be the compounds. Nothing like a 85psi of boost spoolin up

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
They use to be popular back in the 80's and 90's, but didn't hold up well to the exhaust heat and they were expensive back then so OEM went to twin turbo's, one small and one medium size to get the same results and racers just went to larger turbo's.

Last edited by swiftkart; 07-02-2013 at 11:31 AM.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
BplumCrazy-SS

Drives: 416 w/TH400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
VGT (variable geometry turbo) is popular in diesel in OEM forms, we all jump to traditional turbos in the aftermarket. Diesels need lots of torque down low for hauling, we don't need that power curve, so we don't use vgt.

Not to mention, VGT turbos on diesels are usually sub 60mm, and have very little power potential. Our cars need 70mm or greater compressor wheels. If there was one thing from my diesel I'd like on my camaro, it'd be the compounds. Nothing like a 85psi of boost spoolin up
sounds like my old cummins.... and don't forget the smoke screen lol
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKySS View Post
I know these are getting used like crazy in the diesel world but why have they not jumped over into our world. I've been watching videos of of guys being able to pkay with them and build boost at idle. I just think something like thiat would be awesome for a street car and finally give the supercharger guys something to worry about off the line.. so with that, thoughts?
Modern Porsche 911's use them, although the problem is heat. Making the variable aspect reliable with the EGT's seen on a gasoline car is much more difficult than a diesel.
Diesel's by nature just run far far cooler.

In time though I'm sure they will become more mainstream.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post

Not to mention, VGT turbos on diesels are usually sub 60mm, and have very little power potential.
This is not really true. Back in the 90s and early 2000s maybe, but there are many manufacturers in the medium and heavy truck industry using electronically controlled VGTs. Now I'm not saying they would necessarily work in our situations, but there are plenty of Large VGTs out there. Heat and packaging would be two major issues to contend with. Not to mention the fact that a VGT would add significant cost to any turbo kit.
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
jordoza

Drives: 2012 camaro ss, 2010 silverado
As a pro diesel tech at a large dealer i know a lot about the vgts. I'm actually planning to use two hole set vgts for a remote twin set up on my 2012 but the big hurdle is vgt control. I'm gonna go with a waste gate actuator using drive pressure to operate the actuator. Not the best option but sticking with the keep it simple idea.The ones I'm using are he451ve. The compressor is only a 64mm but it will flow 80lbs per hour. Two of the should be good for north of my 800 rwhp goal. The exhaust ar can go from .23 to 1.90. So it should really help spooling in a rear mount. Anyway biggest draw backs are size and weight. The exhaust side of the turbos I'm using are 11 inches round and each turbo weights 33 pounds which doesn't hurt as much in a rear mount but is really not a good thing. As for we don't need the low rpm boost I don't understand why all those Maggie guys brag about low rpm power if it isn't a great thing. So low rpm boost, high rpm efficiency are great. Weight and size are bad. But everything comes with good and bad. Ok next cost a turbo like im using new is 2800 but used on ebay 450 and the 250 for a rebuild kit. Yes high cost but not crazy high if uou go the used route.Any specific questions. Ask and I will answer as best as possible.
jordoza is offline   Reply With Quote