Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Forced Induction Interchiller Impressions

Thought I would post this here for those with A/W intercoolers that don't frequent the ZL1 section:

Sorry for the long wait, I know some of you have been waiting quite a while for me to finally get my act together and get this thing finished. Well, the wait is over.

Okay, so before I begin, I want to explain why I decided to go this route. My car is a 2013 ZL1 convertible (read heavy) automatic with just bolt-ons at the moment. The usual suspects for mods as listed in my sig. The car has run multiple passes in the 10’s but I’ve been wanting more before going to internal mods.

As we all know, these superchargers put out A LOT of hot air as you spin them faster. I was seeing IAT2 temps in the 165F to 175F range at the end of a quarter mile run. And even worse, it took forever with the car sitting to get the temps back down so I could make another pass. It wasn’t uncommon for me to have to let the car sit for an hour and a half between runs. I don’t know about you, but I absolutely hate not being able to get as many runs in as possible on test-n-tune nights.

That’s when I started looking into other cooling options. I already have the Roto-Fab reservoir and the Ron Davis H/X so I started researching ice boxes, fan and pump mods, etc. All of that seemed like a lot of work for minimal gains or gains that only last as long as the ice. I then started looking at interchillers. I know there are a few different vendors that sell them but only two that make kits specific to ZL1’s. I was aware of the wait time for one of the vendors so that’s when I decided to work with Forced Induction.

I reached out to Kirk (GenF-GTS) when he offered a deal to work with them on a kit for our car. After a pleasant, informative conversation and a few measurements we were on our way. The kit arrived very quickly considering the distance and with everything necessary for the install.

With the AC evacuated I had the nose off the car in no time. Then ‘life happens’, I got the flu that didn’t want to go away and then work backing up with me out delayed me even further. I finally got it installed and it fits like a glove. It went in without issue, the instructions are very clear and detailed with pictures of everything and Kirk was prompt and available for any questions I had. The hardest part was cutting the section out of the crash bar for mounting. If I had to take a guess, there was probably a total of 8 hours in the entire install. And that is working alone. With some assistance it can be done even faster.

I was further delayed by the Thanksgiving holiday with family in town and not being able to get the AC recharged for the same reason. But now that it’s completely finished, I’m suffering from a severe case of Perma-Grin. The wife thinks I’m crazy because all I talk about is what the difference is between IAT1 and IAT2 every time I drive the car. I’m truly amazed that this system works so efficiently. Even in stop and go traffic it’s amazing. With IAT1’s in the high 90’s I’m seeing IAT2’s in the 30’s (pic below was in stop and go traffic)! I can’t stop smiling!

I plan to hit the track this Saturday, weather permitting, and do some comparison runs with the interchiller off, like stock, and the interchiller on. I also plan to hit the dyno very soon and do the same comparison. Between those two, that should fully show the real world benefits of this system. Other than the Forced Induction interchiller, I’ve made no other changes to the car since my previous best so I’m really looking forward to what she does. Results to come, stay tuned…

IAT1 97F IAT2 39F using Dashlogic

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
That's awesome!!! Kirk is a really good dude. I spoke with him at length about his inter-chiller. I'm probably going to be swapping my TrekGTO inter-chiller for one of his. Looking forward to the results!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
What is the cost of this if you don't mind me asking?
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
swiftkart

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttshovel View Post
What is the cost of this if you don't mind me asking?
I would like to know as well, I've heard it's twice as much as the other kit available, but you can get it.
swiftkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I'll leave the pricing part up to Kirk as I was the guinea pig so my deal was unique. Just shoot him a PM and he'll respond very quickly. Even if it is twice the price, I think it's one of the best mods I've done so far. If I regain the timing pulled during a run due to high IAT2's it'll give me back the lost power and I'll also benefit from a faster recovery. And, as stated above, it's available! It only took a week from the time of order for me to get mine.

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
I would like to know as well, I've heard it's twice as much as the other kit available, but you can get it.
We have the best performing Interchiller system on the market, our temperatures are the lowest possible in any climate. Our CNC connections are of the highest quality standards, there is not one single area of our Interchiller system that hasn’t had a lot of fine engineering put into it.
We have perfected every aspect of our Interchiller system. You really do pay for what you get with our Interchillers.
GenF-GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
swiftkart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
We have the best performing Interchiller system on the market, our temperatures are the lowest possible in any climate. Our CNC connections are of the highest quality standards, there is not one single area of our Interchiller system that hasn’t had a lot of fine engineering put into it.
We have perfected every aspect of our Interchiller system. You really do pay for what you get with our Interchillers.
So with all of the fine engineering, the kit comes with full replacement hoses that bolt right in with no hoses needing to be cut or any clamps, referring to all of the ac lines?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftkart View Post
So with all of the fine engineering, the kit comes with full replacement hoses that bolt right in with no hoses needing to be cut or any clamps, referring to all of the ac lines?
All hoses are clamped and cut to length.
You simply bolt it on and it's done.

See Marty's post and system layout/install here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
It really was quite easy. Everything went in with simple hand tools. Like I mention in the write-up, the hardest part was cutting the crash bar. I used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and it took me about an hour. If I had access to a plasma cutter it would have taken 10 minutes. If you haven't seen it yet, here's a little video I made (excuse the quality and the cough) showing the install.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
swiftkart

That's good, it looks well engineered and the results speak for themselves.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Also so you guys know our dollar is currently about 30% weaker than yours so there is quite a saving to be made.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
ttshovel

Drives: 12 camaro ss, 72 chevelle, 91camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenF-GTS View Post
Also so you guys know our dollar is currently about 30% weaker than yours so there is quite a saving to be made.
Could you pm me a price on a kit for a zl1 please
12 camaro ss 427lsx, th400, f310 heads, crower shaft mounts, gpi specd solid roller, shearerfab 2k hp a/w, twin bullseye 88mm turbos, hughes pro ssx bolt together converter, holley dominator, 8.50 cert, backhalf, Ford 9", 33x17x16 tires, c16 fuel
ttshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
GenF-GTS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttshovel View Post
Could you pm me a price on a kit for a zl1 please
You are best off emailing so you can get the product PDF which contains all the info and questions you may have along with pricing etc info@fiinterchillers.com
Old 01-05-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Mcnairbear

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS, twin turbo
I sent out an email. I hoping i get back some good news. Dont know if there is a setup that works with my hellion top mount tt. Looks like it only works on superchargers

Havent got it back from the shop yet but it looks like its doable
Mcnairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:17 AM   #14
Mcnairbear

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS, twin turbo
Here is the top mount hellion tt
Attached Images

Mcnairbear is offline   Reply With Quote