Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #15
Les7311

Drives: 2017 Zl1 (M6)
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
Cost less than my deductible. ..and definitely way less than a new engine....bite the bullet and get it....prevention better than cure....
Ordered mine this week from Apex
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #16
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
700 mile drive = 1/4 inch in my catch-can.

hell yeah it's necessary!!!!
Yes, always good prevention
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #17
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
This subject is almost as controversial as the CAI subject. They probably help some however how much may be somewhat overstated in some cases. It is true that DI engines are more prone to intake and valve build up because the fuel is injected after the intake valves however some assumptions are made with these cans that may not be totally true, One being that all of the liquid you catch in the can will end up stuck on the intake parts causing build up. Some probably will but some will most likely still end up getting by the intake valve and be burned off in the combustion process. How much is hard to say and probably varies depending on many things. The only real way to know is to pull your intake off and inspect everything down to the valves and see how much build up is actually in there. I have seen some of the horror pictures on the net but I fear many of those situation don't apply to our cars. Just food for thought here, have not decided if I'm going to add one yet or not.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #18
Arkios

Drives: 2015 Summit White 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
...however some assumptions are made with these cans that may not be totally true, One being that all of the liquid you catch in the can will end up stuck on the intake parts causing build up. Some probably will but some will most likely still end up getting by the intake valve and be burned off in the combustion process. How much is hard to say and probably varies depending on many things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Here's another angle to consider: oil in the intake charge absolutely kills octane.
Hmm... So you are saying that even if this stuff isn't getting caked on the valves as thick as some say, there may actually be some performance benefit. By catching the oil before it gets burned up in combustion, you can potentially reduce the amount that the fuel is "diluted" (for lack of a better term) with that PCV oil, and prevent the fuel's octane rating from degrading. Higher octane has been shown to be good for these LFX engines... interesting.

Traded in my V6 for a V8. She looks pretty similar, but sounds a whole lot different!

Performance Mods:
3.91 rear-dif gears, Solo J-pipe axle-back exhaust, New Era Performance OTR intake, Vitesse throttle controller

Cosmetic / Ergonomic Mods:
SRP racing pedals, APEX skip-shift eliminator, RPI stealth splash guards, Plasti-dipped wheels and bowtie inserts,
Matte black hood spears, rear copo spears, "Le Mans" hash marks, gills, and smoked tail lights / side markers
Arkios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
songsj

Quote:
Hmm... So you are saying that even if this stuff isn't getting caked on the valves as thick as some say, there may actually be some performance benefit. By catching the oil before it gets burned up in combustion, you can potentially reduce the amount that the fuel is "diluted" (for lack of a better term) with that PCV oil, and prevent the fuel's octane rating from degrading. Higher octane has been shown to be good for these LFX engines... interesting.
I am not an expert in this area so I will defer to others. However if I had to guess I would think that PCV oil mixed with intake fuel is probably not a good thing for performance however again to what degree may be hard to measure. The amount that gets by and burned on each combustion stroke may be so small that it could be insignificant to performance.

Last edited by songsj; 09-06-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I just changed my oil yesterday and my catch can caught 5oz over 3.5k miles (I made the mistake of using Royal Purple). Usually it doesn't catch this much honestly.

Another thing to realize. "Carbon build up". Carbon implies post burn. Direct injection does not have that problem much (if at all). Oil and sludge building up on the intake valves and in the manifold is the issue. That's what the catch can prevents.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 AM   #21
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I just changed my oil yesterday and my catch can caught 5oz over 3.5k miles (I made the mistake of using Royal Purple). Usually it doesn't catch this much honestly.
So, you are crediting RP with the higher levels in your CC? Interesting.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #22
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Just do it! Get an upper induction cleaning first.

Oil in the intake manifold and carbon on the valves disturbs the airflow. Over time it will cause a rough idle. When you are in a rough idle state you will have diminished acceleration across the power band.

Take your throttle body off and stick your finger into the manifold and wipe around the opening. You will most likely have a good deal of oil on your finger. Put your finger into the catch basin just inside the opening. There will probably be a lot of oil in there. All this oil is just the very tip of the iceberg.

If you want to get your new car performance back you need to clean all of this oil out. Once you clean it out, the catch can will help prevent it from happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Another thing to realize. "Carbon build up". Carbon implies post burn. Direct injection does not have that problem much (if at all). Oil and sludge building up on the intake valves and in the manifold is the issue. That's what the catch can prevents.
On these engines the buildup on the valves turns to carbon due to the heat.

Last edited by intensifi; 09-06-2014 at 11:14 AM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #23
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
So, you are crediting RP with the higher levels in your CC? Interesting.
Being that I've had over 25k miles only using Mobil 1 with 50% less in my can over almost twice the time per oil change, and then this happens one time I use Royal Purple? Yes, actually. Lol
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #24
songsj

I would love to see some pictures of the intake and valves on an LFX with about 50k on it with no catch can. I am the curious type.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #25
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Honest to god most simple answer....

Needed: no

Beneficial if you plan to keep car in long run: yes

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Needed: no
Some people will never be convinced no matter how much empirical evidence. Good luck with your setup.