Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Strange Response from Magnuson Rep here

So I have a Magnuson 2300 on my 2010 Camaro SS. I chose the Maggie because at the time, it was already in the process of getting CARB cert. So with several postings here from a Magnuson representative about the CARB cert "pending status - anyday now, finally got the CARB #" I pm'd the guy and asked it was or soon will be available, if I can just stop by their office (since I am not far), and pick up a CARB sticker to slap on their product or a cert for their SC that is already on my car. Well, his reply was a no reply to my questions. All he wanted to know.... who tuned my car and what other mods on it, period. Never mind that I went to an installer that they recommended.

WHAT?!!??

What is he saying? We can't get a CARB sticker unless we only use their tune and no other mods? What about ALL those cars Maggie'd and tuned with other performance parts by the many performance shops who are on this forum? We are all SOL? How do you sell that to a customer? Sir, the CARB cert that comes with our product is only valid if our product is the only aftermarket power-adder that is or will be on your car, otherwise.

Had I known this BS....

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 06-15-2010 at 12:53 AM.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
So I have a Magnuson 2300 on my 2010 Camaro SS. I chose the Maggie because at the time, it was already in the process of getting CARB cert. So with several postings here from a Magnuson representative about the CARB cert "pending status - anyday now, finally got the CARB #" I pm'd the guy and asked it was or soon will be available, if I can just stop by their office (since I am not far), and pick up a CARB sticker to slap on their product or a cert for their SC that is already on my car. Well, his reply was a no reply to my questions. All he wanted to know.... who tuned my car and what other mods on it, period. Never mind that I went to an installer that they recommended.

WHAT?!!??

What is he saying? We can't get a CARB sticker unless we only use their tune and no other mods? What about ALL those cars Maggie'd and tuned with other performance parts by the many performance shops who are on this forum? We are all SOL? How do you sell that to a customer? Sir, the CARB cert that comes with our product is only valid if our product is the only aftermarket power-adder that is or will be on your car, otherwise.

Had I known this BS....
This is all documented in the warranty and EO papers. In order to get CARB cert, it has to pass certain criteria. It's tested and approved with a completely stock engine/exhaust and the canned Maggie tune. Once you change ANYTHING to either of those, you're going beyond what the CARB sticker was granted for. The same goes for your warranty. If you install LT's, catback, axlebacks, any internal upgrades, or different tune, your warranty goes away. All these guys that have upgraded pulleys, exhaust mods, and dyno tunes have thrown away their MC warranties and CARB status.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Jontall

Drives: GTO
When I installed mine, I sent my computer to Magnacharger and they returned it with a CARB sticker. Go to your installer and ask if they have any.
Jontall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:

WHAT?!!??

Had I known this BS....
It's not a BS. Axis explained it clearly.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is all documented in the warranty and EO papers. In order to get CARB cert, it has to pass certain criteria. It's tested and approved with a completely stock engine/exhaust and the canned Maggie tune. Once you change ANYTHING to either of those, you're going beyond what the CARB sticker was granted for. The same goes for your warranty. If you install LT's, catback, axlebacks, any internal upgrades, or different tune, your warranty goes away. All these guys that have upgraded pulleys, exhaust mods, and dyno tunes have thrown away their MC warranties and CARB status.
yep .. what he said ..

Crowley
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Of course you void any CARB (emmisions) cert on any car or part when you alter and/or use/modify it outside the prescribed parameters. My point wasn't clear. Never mind. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Of course you void any CARB (emmisions) cert on any car or part when you alter and/or use/modify it outside the prescribed parameters. My point wasn't clear. Never mind. Thanks.
You know, I don't really think this situation is all that cool. I totally understand the previous posts, and agree with them, too, however, if you bought the CARB-legal kit, you should get the CARB sticker, IMHO. Maybe there are some new regulations or something that this sh*tty State requires that they ask those questions when issuing the stickers. Even still, if you bought the kit that was touted as pending certification, I believe one should be able to still get the sticker. It's not like it's Magnuson's job to certify that you car is currently legal.

Subscribed and keeping my eye on this. This could be valuable in the future... I can see all the other points - this is just a little suprising. I'm sure there's something I don't know.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
You know, I don't really think this situation is all that cool. I totally understand the previous posts, and agree with them, too, however, if you bought the CARB-legal kit, you should get the CARB sticker, IMHO. Maybe there are some new regulations or something that this sh*tty State requires that they ask those questions when issuing the stickers. Even still, if you bought the kit that was touted as pending certification, I believe one should be able to still get the sticker. It's not like it's Magnuson's job to certify that you car is currently legal.

Subscribed and keeping my eye on this. This could be valuable in the future... I can see all the other points - this is just a little suprising. I'm sure there's something I don't know.
Radz, you have a very valid point. Perhaps that was the OP's point too and we misunderstood him. True, it's not Maggies responsibility to police the cars after words.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Radz, you have a very valid point. Perhaps that was the OP's point too and we misunderstood him. True, it's not Maggies responsibility to police the cars after words.
That's why I'm so confused. Why would Maggie make it so hard? That doesn't sound right. Perhaps we'll get the second side of the story and get a clearer understanding of the situation
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
What is a CARB cert ? So does this mean I'm going to get a good deal on a maggie on ebay in about a year?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
No company can be responsible for another company's stuff. Asking for a certification on a product that does not fit that certification criteria is just not possible.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

Thanks Radz for getting my hidden point. I apologize guys for not being clearer in my frustration. I built a replica car with CARB and non-CARB parts from Edelbrock, Ford Racing, etc. etc. and not once was I asked if the CARB certified part I was buying would be going in a re-turned and modified car. I bought a CARB certified part so give me the document to prove it is! If I fail emmissions because of perhaps other parts I have installed on my car, then that is my problem to deal with. You can buy after-market performance parts from GMPP or Ford Racing or Edelbrock right now and do you think they will tell you they can't sell you the CARB part or deny you the cert document unless you prove to them that your car is mostly stock???

Ton of us here got our cars SC'd before the CARB cert was granted to Magnuson and the majority of the SC'd cars are likely modified outside of whatever the ceritification parameters state so what is going to happen? That sticker (if it is a sticker) is mostly to satisfy the visual inspection anyway when it comes to smog testing (at least in CA) but if the tester is anal, he/she can call and verify the cert # is valid.

There is no other side to the story here. I bought a (now) CARB cert part, give me the proof!

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 06-15-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
SSchizomaniac

Drives: WTB 2010 Camaro SS - Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
What is a CARB cert ? So does this mean I'm going to get a good deal on a maggie on ebay in about a year?
C.A.R.B. = California Air Resources Board. Their mission is to reduce CA's emissions of greenhouse gases. One way that they go about this is to restrict car mods, unless they are on an approved list of aftermarket parts. This board really takes the fun out of modding a muscle car. That is, unless you know the right people...
Old 06-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Quote:

Had I known this BS....
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. We do not certify anything other than our supercharger, and the calibration that comes with it. If you are running anything other than our calibration and supercharger package then the EO is not valid. I am sorry, but we are abiding by the rules and laws that are set in California.

Before putting me on blast you might have considered a phone call and or another PM to clear up some confusion. If the system was not purchased with our calibration, and I can only assume that it was not...then it will NOT be issued an EO#.

ANY manufacture that does not follow these rules is subject to serious fines and litigation with the state of California.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote