Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
There is a TSB for this. The issue is that the coolant is reacting with the rubber hoses in your engine bay. Go search the TSB sub forum for details. The short version is that they have to replace every hose in your car to get rid of that smell. If you want to be certain the TSB applies to you, just open your hood and take a good wiff next to the radiator.
ouch.... Yea, that would be way too much work for my dealership lol. And as long as its not a dangerous issue, I probably wont take it in. Ill check and see if its the hoses today.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
AC vents are notorious for growing mold... haven't had the issue in my Camaro, but in other vehicles I had cured the problem by spraying Lysol into the intakes (with AC/ vents open and running) every day or two for a week. Kills the mold, odor gone.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
-SS-

Drives: 45th Anniversary Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
AC vents are notorious for growing mold... haven't had the issue in my Camaro, but in other vehicles I had cured the problem by spraying Lysol into the intakes (with AC/ vents open and running) every day or two for a week. Kills the mold, odor gone.

Yup, As you run the A/C, some moisture condenses on the inside of the ductwork which allows mold/ mildew to grow in there. A good way to avoid this is to turn off the AC and run the blower for about 3-5 minutes on high before turning off your car and letting it sit. This dries out the ducts. I usually shut off the AC about 3-5 minutes from my house and have the blower on high til I park it. Works great, no stinky feet smells in the car!
-SS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
At least it doesn't smell like Aunt Jemima syrup! That's when you know you have a faulty heater core...the whole dash would need to come out, but you get a brand, spanking new windshield!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #19
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Ozium!
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #20
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS- View Post
Yup, As you run the A/C, some moisture condenses on the inside of the ductwork which allows mold/ mildew to grow in there. A good way to avoid this is to turn off the AC and run the blower for about 3-5 minutes on high before turning off your car and letting it sit. This dries out the ducts. I usually shut off the AC about 3-5 minutes from my house and have the blower on high til I park it. Works great, no stinky feet smells in the car!
Sounds like a great per- emptive maintainance thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
My truck has mildew in the air filter I suspect because it smells bad. My Camaro smells like brand new car at almost 3 years old.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #22
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Yea, im gonna buy some lysol today. That should fix the issue. If it persists ill look into the filter... If it still persists, Ill check out the TSB and buy some cool colored hoses.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Ozium!
+1

...ya really don't want to spray lysol in ya car do you?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
JustBill74

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT RS
I had this issue when I had my 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I couldn't stand it anymore and bought my Camaro. Toyota, if you do a google search for it, is well known to have that smell in a lot of their cars dating back to the late 90s.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=toyota+musty+smell
JustBill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Please dont get mad.Im not trying to hi-jack the thread(but i guess I am) but speaking of ac vents..... my Z seems to always blow warm air when its on vent. It doesnt matter if I have the recirc buttom pushed or not. Its not HOT air but it doesnt seem to be the same temp as the air outside. Its not a problem right now since its gotten cooler outside but when its warmer I have to run the AC even when normally(in other cars) I could just put the vent on. Anybody else have this problemThank you.
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Probably the CAF. I just bought a new one for mine last week and I also have 12k miles. It's really easy to swap out too.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87 View Post
If it gets wet it can get musty
Its happened to me before, it smelled swampy.
Just turn off the air and roll down your windows. San diego can't be that cold
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #28
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssasdad View Post
Please dont get mad.Im not trying to hi-jack the thread(but i guess I am) but speaking of ac vents..... my Z seems to always blow warm air when its on vent. It doesnt matter if I have the recirc buttom pushed or not. Its not HOT air but it doesnt seem to be the same temp as the air outside. Its not a problem right now since its gotten cooler outside but when its warmer I have to run the AC even when normally(in other cars) I could just put the vent on. Anybody else have this problemThank you.
You know I find if I have the blower off but the temp control turned to hot, hot air "leaks" out of the vents. If I turn the temp control to cold with the blower off cooler air "leaks" out. So depending on the weather I leave the temp control where I need it whether I actually turn anything on or not. Ive never pushed the recirc button...

I live near the beach so the weather is pretty steady. I rarely turn on anything and just leave the windows down. I may have turned the air on 6 times and the heat maybe a dozen.