Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #449
Pokergirl

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Hi!

If you're looking for an "over the counter" product, I'd recommend either Mothers California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer or Meguires Ultimate Qwik Detailer.

Ed
doesn't have to be "over the counter". I'll special order it.
Pokergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #450
Mason44

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Hi

WD40 is OK to use, but I'd recommend washing the affected area afterwards and maybe hit it wait a quick detailer too.

Ed
Thanks Ed, oh is there anything you would use over WD40?
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #451
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokergirl View Post
doesn't have to be "over the counter". I'll special order it.
Have you used any wax/polish yet?

I'm asking as you could stick with the brand of wax/polish you're already using.

The brands I was thinking of which you would have to order would be Zaino, Adam's, etc......but unless you've already used their polishes, Mothers or Meguires would be just fine.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #452
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason44 View Post
Thanks Ed, oh is there anything you would use over WD40?
Mason,

I'd follow up using the WD40 by washing the affected area with a good quality car wash, then either go over the area with a spray detailer, or a wax/polish, just to add some more protection to the area.

I hope that clarifies things for you, but if not, let me know.

Ed
Old 03-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #453
Mason44

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Mason,

I'd follow up using the WD40 by washing the affected area with a good quality car wash, then either go over the area with a spray detailer, or a wax/polish, just to add some more protection to the area.

I hope that clarifies things for you, but if not, let me know.

Ed
Lol I'm sorry Ed I wasn't very clear on what I was asking. I meant is there any other product besides WD40, that you would use to clean tar or any other stuck on particles before clay barring (to try and keep large particles out of the clay)?
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #454
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Lol I'm sorry Ed I wasn't very clear on what I was asking. I meant is there any other product besides WD40, that you would use to clean tar or any other stuck on particles before clay barring (to try and keep large particles out of the clay)?
isopropyl alcohol... dilute with water for a less harsh mix, but be aware that it will dry out trim so don't let it get all over the place. Spot treat areas with a clean microfiber and allow the IPA mixture to disolve the tar as much as possible before wiping away. Follow up with a neutral pH car soap or a heavy dousing of detail spray afterwards and make sure to wax... the IPA will strip EVERYTHING off of the paint.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #455
Pokergirl

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Have you used any wax/polish yet?

I'm asking as you could stick with the brand of wax/polish you're already using.

The brands I was thinking of which you would have to order would be Zaino, Adam's, etc......but unless you've already used their polishes, Mothers or Meguires would be just fine.

Ed
I used the Meguires...worked great. Thanks Ed
Pokergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #456
Moose

Quote:
A product I use alot is by 'Stoners' - "Tarminator". Works great for me.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #457
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokergirl View Post
I used the Meguires...worked great. Thanks Ed
Glad I could help!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #458
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Ed, car is in paint for stripes. I asked the owner and painter what they recommend once it's finished as far as cure time and all. It's all DuPont automotive paint to include the clear they're putting on. Was told by both that there is no additional cure time and would not have to wait for the paint to cure. Would be ready for wax the day I bring it home.

I've read and heard so many different things so I think I'll wait to wax, BUT, would a polish have any negative effect to fresh paint? I don't want to hit it with anything that would damage/destroy this new paint!! Thank you!!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #459
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Ed, car is in paint for stripes. I asked the owner and painter what they recommend once it's finished as far as cure time and all. It's all DuPont automotive paint to include the clear they're putting on. Was told by both that there is no additional cure time and would not have to wait for the paint to cure. Would be ready for wax the day I bring it home.

I've read and heard so many different things so I think I'll wait to wax, BUT, would a polish have any negative effect to fresh paint? I don't want to hit it with anything that would damage/destroy this new paint!! Thank you!!
IMO, I'd wait about a week, then "hit" the stripes with a good quality wax/polish. (Polish will have no negative effects.)

Just be sure of the "normal stuff", ie; the car is clean, and you're using clean applicators and towels for drying and polishing.

Ed
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #460
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Absolutely. Thanks so much
Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #461
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
Would like your advice on using the California car duster. whether to use it or not. I have accomplished the whole zaino process so I am "maintaining" the shine at this time until the next round of polishing
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:45 PM   #462
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer778 View Post
Would like your advice on using the California car duster. whether to use it or not. I have accomplished the whole zaino process so I am "maintaining" the shine at this time until the next round of polishing
I use mine all the time and I'm scratch free from it. Its all in the technique in how to use it properly so you don't scratch your paint, you should watch Junkman's videos on proper use of waterless wash; he explains proper use of california dusters as well.