Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Iraqi Dinar investment.... DON'T DO IT!

Just wanted to put the warning out, if you get someone trying to talk you into investing in the "new" Iraqi Dinar, do not listen. 9 times out of 10 it will be a scam, and there is a consumer alert FROM THE GOVERNMENT specifically about this:

http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/aler...inar-scams.htm

Quote:
The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions is warning consumers about potential scams regarding Iraqi Dinar currency exchange services. While foreign exchange scams are not new, the sudden popularity with the Dinar and resulting consumer complaints to our banking partners is concerning. Consumers can read about the investment-related risks in our previously-released consumer alert, “Forex: Risky Business?” at www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/alerts/forex.htm.

Several websites have recently begun advertising investment opportunities in Iraqi Dinars, the currency of Iraq. These websites are asking the consumers to send a check, wire, money order, or pay cash upon delivery of the Dinars. What consumers are not told is that the Dinars can be redeemed only in Iraq, as most of the established currency exchange houses and banking institutions cannot convert the Dinar to US dollars. Since no exchange exists for the Iraqi Dinar, dealers can charge whatever they want to sell and buy back the Dinars.

These dealers often register with the U.S. Treasury as a Money Services Business (MSB). An MSB registration is nothing more than a form they file; it does not reflect any experience in trading currency nor entail any qualifications on the part of the dealer, other than basic anti-money laundering requirements. The reason dealers seek this registration is to lend legitimacy to their scam and avoid more stringent regulation.

In addition, most of these websites are operating illegally in Washington State, without a currency exchange or money transmission license issued by the Washington State Department of Financial Institutions. Make sure you only deal with licensed, legitimate companies when making financial decisions.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I have friends with thousands of dollars tied up into the dinar, hoping for some big payout "Oh, as soon as the dinar hits we're going to..."

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
I bought some off of Ebay, one can only hope..
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
omg.......in this world of SCAM AFTER SCAM on the internat, why ANYONE would do this is beyond me......some people are so gullable, and they are lookinjg for a "GET RICH QUICK" scheme....and thats exactly what that is.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
omg.......in this world of SCAM AFTER SCAM on the internat, why ANYONE would do this is beyond me......some people are so gullable, and they are lookinjg for a "GET RICH QUICK" scheme....and thats exactly what that is.
But you do get rich quick...if you are the person that starts the scheme, that is.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Skogen
Hell Yea!

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS & 2012 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I have friends with thousands of dollars tied up into the dinar, hoping for some big payout "Oh, as soon as the dinar hits we're going to..."

Tell your friends I have some Ocean Front Property in Arazona for sale....

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat - AGP 54/57 Twin Turbo with Meth injection. 704 RWHP.
2015 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ
1969 Chevelle SS396 - Numbers matching
Skogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
mastertypodemon
Late Night Crew

Drives: 2010 SIM 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
I bought some off ebay too. And some of those Zimbabwean trillions too.
mastertypodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post

you have some dumb friends... unless this thread is a conspiracy to keep people form buying the Dinar...

that must be it! make it look like crap, then buy a whole bunch of them for next to nothing, sit on them for a while then turn around and make millions!!!!

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
Well, I don't see any problem with buying like maybe $10 worth... having traveled to various countries, I really enjoy bringing back samples of everyone's currency, and I do have what I think is a $10 dinari note that I brought back from a trip to baghdad (as well as yen from Japan, and some dollars from the Grand Caymans). But unless you really know what you're doing, investing large amounts of money in foreign currency is really risky.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Before the war one 25,000 dinar was worth 75,000 us dollars. I bought 10 of the new 25,000 for 100.00 off Ebay awhile back. See what happens I guess.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
As with any investment or speculation, only shell out what you're willing to lose....

Alot of my buddies that came back from Iraq (military and contractors) have quite a bit.
DesertCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you have some dumb friends... unless this thread is a conspiracy to keep people form buying the Dinar...

that must be it! make it look like crap, then buy a whole bunch of them for next to nothing, sit on them for a while then turn around and make millions!!!!

Now that I can see the light, I am going out to buy dinars will every dollar I own!
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Man o' man, don't tell me that the good ol' Dinar ain't what she used to be. Say it ain't so!!!

It's always been the Rock of Gibraltar whenever the Dollar or gold were shaky, there was the solid Dinar.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
CJ Man
Missing my SS :(

Drives: 2012 Ford Explorer [ :( ]
Uhhhh so I guess I'm going to have to empty my safe deposit box and cash my retirement in Iraq! Is it still worth something if sadam's face is on the bill?

Atleast I sent those thousands of dollars to south Africa to expidite my long lost relative fortune! They left us everything! As soon as those guys that contacted me in my email get that wire transfer I'll be rich! Who's laughing now!
CJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote