Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
First STS Kit in Chicago Area

I've finally have got arround to creating this thread. (My Bad)

I sort of slipped out the secret earlier than I wanted to cause I was just too excited. Anyway, my STS kit is installed and ready for me to pick up at Performance Unlimited in Ringwood, IL (near Mchenry). I am at work right now drooling over going to pick it up at 8am Saturday Morning.

I am going to get my car dyno'd at Benchmark Tuning at about Noon tomorrow (Saturday, 11/20/2010)
Tomorrow evening I will have some better pictures posted, and a video of it getting dyno'd.

This is the meat of the kit. The TURBO!! Its a bit blurry, I'll have better pics tomorrow

This is the blow off valve on the left side of the car.

This is the pipe that brings the boost from the turbo to the engine on the right side of the car

This is my intercooler behind the front facia of my lower bumper. I didn't want the front facia cut in anyway, I still want my car to have a stock look to it, sort of a sleeper.

This is the screw underneath my intercooler that is used to drain condensation. I need to have something fashioned custom to get at it. Right now my lower bumper covers it and I do not want to just drill a hole in the underside on the bumper

This is the boost pipe again near the front

This is the boost pipe again at the front but shown at the top. You can see the 2nd blow off valve here

This is the oil pump that pumps oil from my turbo back to the pan

This is the air filter near the turbo in the rear. That piece that is covering it is not plastic. It is a mesh and its called a prefilter.

This is where my wideband O2 guage reads how lean my exhaust is.

Here is my new oil cap. You can see where the oil is returned from the turbo sticking out the top

These are my new tips. They were shortened the from what the were last weekend, so it doesn't look so obvious that the car was modified. I did not like the way STS designed then to stick WAY out originally.

Here's the box the turbo came in

This is my custom gauge pod. It turned out awsome, it matches the trim on my door panels and dash trim in my car. I have beige interior, and the panels are sort of a Champaigne color that looks really sharp. Look for some better pics of the gauge pod tomorrow. This turned out really really sharp.

MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Very cool! Looking forward to hearing more about your setup!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
i al actually really looking forward to see the results of the dyno. i have been dying to know how much these STS cars are making.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 AM   #4
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I got some questions if you dont mind.

So the car goes from dual exhaust to single exhuast into turbo correct?

Which side of the car do they run the cold side up?

What do they bolt the cold side pipe that runs under the car to?

I will think of some more for sure...
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
waiting to see and hear more........
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Swing by tinley park sometime and we can do lunch, I would love to see this in person...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Great news man! It looks awsome, and I really like the gauge pod. PM me when you get your numbers and I'll add them to the V6 FI List thread.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
MyWorld

Drives: RJT 2LT RS
Somewhat of a setback has been encountered this morning. The shop that installed the turbo loaded the kit tune that STS provided them. They just test drove it around the block and didn't test out the boost

Well, I drove it home and after the car was sufficiently warmed up, I went to test the boost and after the turbo had just started kicking in, it immediately went Lean.

Im not sure why the kit tune did this. I would of hoped the kit tune would of provided a nice safe tune right out the box that was nothing specatular, but would allow the turbos to kick in.

Anyway. I couldn't take it on the dyno with the way it goes lean. I went to Benchmark Tuners anyway to see their thoughts. They are going to contact Trifecta on Monday to inquire about becoming an independant tuning shop. They aren't too crazy about trifecta as they can't do any tuning themselves, Trifecta has to mail them all of the tunes.

I also am going to bring my car back to Performance Unlimited on Monday. They did a great job of installing the system. Their mistake, was assuming that the kit tune would work without an issue.
MyWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
Somewhat of a setback has been encountered this morning. The shop that installed the turbo loaded the kit tune that STS provided them. They just test drove it around the block and didn't test out the boost

Well, I drove it home and after the car was sufficiently warmed up, I went to test the boost and after the turbo had just started kicking in, it immediately went Lean.

Im not sure why the kit tune did this. I would of hoped the kit tune would of provided a nice safe tune right out the box that was nothing specatular, but would allow the turbos to kick in.

Anyway. I couldn't take it on the dyno with the way it goes lean. I went to Benchmark Tuners anyway to see their thoughts. They are going to contact Trifecta on Monday to inquire about becoming an independant tuning shop. They aren't too crazy about trifecta as they can't do any tuning themselves, Trifecta has to mail them all of the tunes.

I also am going to bring my car back to Performance Unlimited on Monday. They did a great job of installing the system. Their mistake, was assuming that the kit tune would work without an issue.
Sorry to hear that. Looks like a week of disappointment on the turbo front. However, when all is done, I think we'll be real happy.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
So far it seems no one can tune these cars, Is it the direct injection or?
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
So far it seems no one can tune these cars, Is it the direct injection or?
Vince at Trifecta can tune these cars.... and is in the one providing the tune for STS.. HOWEVER, I think the main problem is Vince is doing all this work remotely... and on CUSTOMERS cars! STS should have had their own car and brought Vince ON-SITE and basically kept him there until ALL the bugs were worked out... and ALL of this should have been done BEFORE STS sold a single kit!!!

I don't care what anyone says... this kit wasn't ready for release...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Ok Im no engine ace by any stretch. This DI thing is a mystery even with nitrous. We are jetting for what normally would be about 90 PSI of fuel pressure for a 100 shot and the pre fuel injector pump where we run our nitrous fuel line from is spec'd at 45 PSI. Also the more fuel you run, the greater you have to bump the nitrous jet size more than normal. I will be posting my dynos shortly when they are emailed to me. My dyno guy sent them to Dynomite to have them fine tuned with more specific specifications. He just traded out his Dynojet for a Dynomite and is still learning all the parameters etc from what I understand.
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
Rdditten

Drives: 2010 ABM Camaro 2LT RS, STS TURBO
Send a message via AIM to Rdditten Send a message via Yahoo to Rdditten
Hey XX_ED_XX, In answer to the installation of the exhaust and how the intake tube is run on the car:
The exhaust has an existing crossover pipe from the factory. The turbo is mounted on the passenger side of the car and the wastegate is on the drivers side. All the exhaust flows thru the passenger side until boost pressure opens the wastegate. Then both sides are functional. The intake tube (fits nicely) is run on the passenger side using existing mounting points and holes that already exist in the car.
The screw that is referenced for moisture is really not needed. If the hole is drilled correctly no screw is needed and is left open to drain at any time. In this way you would not need to worry about access. Only one issue is if the hole were to plug. So, it is something to check occasionally based on the driving conditions you encounter.

Last edited by Rdditten; 11-21-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Rdditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
xtreme industries

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdditten View Post
Hey XX_ED_XX, In answer to the installation of the exhaust and how the intake tube is run on the car:
The exhaust has an existing crossover pipe from the factory. The turbo is mounted on the passenger side of the car and the wastegate is on the drivers side. All the exhaust flows thru the passenger side until boost pressure opens the wastegate. Then both sides are functional. The intake tube (fits nicely) is run on the passenger side using existing mounting points and holes that already exist in the car.
The screw that is referenced for moisture is really not needed. If the hole is drilled correctly no screw is needed and is left open to drain at any time. In this way you would not need to worry about access. Only one issue is if the hole were to plug. So, it is something to check occasionally based on the driving conditions you encounter.
without the screw, would you not have a boost leak?
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote