Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Trunk or Hatchback?

I have seen Camaro's with a traditional trunk, and I have seen more recent versions with fully opening hatchbacks... anyone have any guesses on which the 5th gen is going to have?

Personally I am hoping for the hatchback... it'd just add to the car's daily driver usefulness without any drawbacks.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Ive got a 4th gen and Ive grown to love my hatch (even though I didnt like it that much when I first bought her)...looking at all of the concept pics it dosent look like it has a hatch, and Ive seen some pics of the concept on the GM proving grounds, and some tech guys were doing something in the trunk of the camaro...no hatch again. But you never know???
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
The 5th gen will have a trunk.
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
The 5th gen will have a trunk.
Trunk it is...and thank God, IMO. Everywhere I go, I'm always worried someone will break into my car and steal my goodies. With a trunk, you are that much safer.

Word to the wise...in three years of taking police reports and burglary of vehicle reports, I've only taken ONE report where the trunk was opened after they broke into the car. That's right...only ONE. And, I'll tell you why they broke into the trunk. The guy who had his car broken into was in the same parking lot where 3 other cars were actively getting broken into. The actors saw my complainant placing his luggage from the inside of his car to the trunk (2 laptop bags, luggage, etc. - items burglars always look for first in case you wondered).

He was then followed to two places. He had a cell phone in plain view in the center console. The window was broken, the cell phone LEFT IN PLACE, and the trunk was popped. There was NOTHING else inside the vehicle. Again, this is the only report I've ever taken where someone popped the trunk. Now, this is an extremely good reason IMO to have a trunk.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't really believe we're having this conversation?
Trunk is the ONLY way to go...hatchback-looks, okay; but not practical in MHO.
I happen to like the way cars look with trunks much better than they do with hatchbacks, cleaner - I guess. Oh, and all of the points TAG stated...

and btw, just kidding above - any conversation is good conversation.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
OK, well it looks like this isn't much of a debate... I guess the trunk is the way it will be.

But the other (related) question is will the 5th gen have folding seats? If you have a trunk with folding seats, its almost as functional as a hatchback... What do we think of this possibility?

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'll bet you money it will have folding seats. Just about every year model had folding seats and I wouldn't doubt it for one second the Camaro will have them.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
Well if I am going to hold out hope for my t-tops, I have to hold out hope for my hatchback...
Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Folding rear seats have been so useful on cars the past few years. I hope the 5th gen follows suit.

At least then our new Camaro and the 67 will both have folding rear seats
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
You know what, I don't think I care either way.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Trunk it is...and thank God, IMO. Everywhere I go, I'm always worried someone will break into my car and steal my goodies. With a trunk, you are that much safer.

Word to the wise...in three years of taking police reports and burglary of vehicle reports, I've only taken ONE report where the trunk was opened after they broke into the car. That's right...only ONE. And, I'll tell you why they broke into the trunk. The guy who had his car broken into was in the same parking lot where 3 other cars were actively getting broken into. The actors saw my complainant placing his luggage from the inside of his car to the trunk (2 laptop bags, luggage, etc. - items burglars always look for first in case you wondered).

He was then followed to two places. He had a cell phone in plain view in the center console. The window was broken, the cell phone LEFT IN PLACE, and the trunk was popped. There was NOTHING else inside the vehicle. Again, this is the only report I've ever taken where someone popped the trunk. Now, this is an extremely good reason IMO to have a trunk.

(I know the 5th Gen will be a trunk, this is just for argument's sake.)

They could easily make the 5th Gen a hatch while keeping it looking exactly as it does now. A hatch doesn't have to have the 'dome' that the 3rd and 4th Gen's had. Just have the 'trunk lid' lift along with the rear window as one unit and it wouldn't look any different at all.

Just look at the Scion tC. It doesn't look like a hatch, but it is.

I'd much prefer a hatch over a trunk. Even with folding rear seats you can't fit something a bit taller in a trunk like you can with the hatch (just leave the hatch open as you drive).

The only vehicle I've owned that could move more than my 82, 91 or 02 Camaro's was my 2000 S10 Xtreme.

Hatch > Trunk
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I could see a 5th gen hatch - but I don't want to...
I've also heard that hatchback cars are higher in insurance rates than trunk cars, due to saftey...is this true?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
acscamarochick06
Chevrolet Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS ;)
When I first got insurance rates before I got my car, I asked about insurance on a Mustang and a Camaro and they were both nearly the same. I have State Farm Insurance so I really don't know if it makes a difference, but I know for me it was pretty even.

P.S. I wasn't planning on buying a Rustang, I was just curious as to how my friends that had Mustangs were coming out since they argued that they are "so much cheaper." Psh...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm kinda leaning towards a trunk myself. Hell, I'm likely going vert, which would have to be a trunk anyway.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote