Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #15
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
If you are getting an SS or RS, those LS wheels won't fit your car because you'll have brake caliper clearance issues.
ORLY? Nobody ACTUALLY know whether or not you can fit the stock 18s over the Brembos yet. The 2004-2006 CTS-V ran the same Brembo setup that the Camaro is getting and came stock with 18s. And either way, the RS/LT is still going to have those single piston sliding calipers, so the 18s will still fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Time to educate a few -

When you order an RS, you get the 19 inch wheels. This actually triggers the SS hubs in the rear and you end up with a 4.5 link rear end vs the 4 link in the LT and the 5 link in the SS. Spoke to Al Oppenheimer to great length about the rear suspension unit. I suggest some poeple do their own research before calling people names or assuming someone is speculating. Good day.
So, following your logic, an extra SUSPENSION MEMBER is going to keep 18" wheels from fitting the RS/LT? And the LS, RS/LT, and SS all have different rear suspensions? GM really engineered 3 different rear cradles for the Camaro?

Well, here's the rear suspension out of the LS and LT. Why don't you show us where this 5th member is going to be that is going to physically contact an 18" wheel, Mr. Inside Scoop? Remember, for the suspension to actually contact the wheel, it has to, at least, stick out farther from the center of the hub than the outside of the caliper.

I think you're still speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Now that's what I call a burn
Too soon, Junior.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #16
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
So, following your logic, an extra SUSPENSION MEMBER is going to keep 18" wheels from fitting the RS/LT? And the LS, RS/LT, and SS all have different rear suspensions? GM really engineered 3 different rear cradles for the Camaro?

yeah they already told us that.....

and if hylton says that Al told him that, i would bet my life on it.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #17
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Some of the new members need to really learn to respect others.

I mean seriously? Calling someone a moron because you think they're wrong. Even though you are the one that really is wrong.

Last edited by Milk 1027; 01-16-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
YA DITTO THAT ......... when you read all the posts from July 08 on maybe you will be less likely to call anyone who has been here that long or longer anything but a moron.
Some people actually understand what they read ........
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #19
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
ORLY? Why don't you show us where this 5th member is going to be that is going to physically contact an 18" wheel, Mr. Inside Scoop? Remember, for the suspension to actually contact the wheel, it has to, at least, stick out farther from the center of the hub than the outside of the caliper.

I think you're still speculating.
We discuss things here. We don't attempt to show how smart we are by calling other people names or even assume things about someone. I will not be responding to any question you or others like you will have until you learn how things are done around here. I don't believe this is the website for people like you or t3chfr3ak. Have you considered joining Camaroz28.com?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3chfr3ak View Post
OK Ill admit my mistakes. having a shit day. alright already.
Is that your version of an apology?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
INSERT RANDOM INSULT!!

SOrry, I wanted to feel like I was part of this "conversation" even though I have no idea what anyone was talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
I want to ask a question that may or may not be relavant, so please excuse my ignorance. A friend of mine told me that the transmission will be calibrated to the size of the wheels at the factory so your speedometer will be calibrated for that size tire. Is this correct? Because I was also considering the heritage steelies for winter time. I am not that familiar with this argument. Does what he said , make any sense? I also ordered the 2LT RS package....Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer56 View Post
I want to ask a question that may or may not be relavant, so please excuse my ignorance. A friend of mine told me that the transmission will be calibrated to the size of the wheels at the factory so your speedometer will be calibrated for that size tire. Is this correct? Because I was also considering the heritage steelies for winter time. I am not that familiar with this argument. Does what he said , make any sense? I also ordered the 2LT RS package....Thanks
Please don't apologize for not knowing something as we are all here to help each other.

To be specific, the tranny speedo has been configured to tire height and final gear ratio, not wheel size. Assuming you get 18 inch wheels that will fit, the speedo will not be affected, provided that the height of the winter tire is equal to the height of your 20 inch tire. With me so far?

Now, with respect to the rear end, Chevrolet designers decided to put the rear spindle/hub assembly of an SS on any LT Camaro with the RS package. This was done so that the 20 inch wheels on an RS car would have the same positioning as the SS cars otherwise the offset would track the car incorrectly and affect handling. The downside of this is that this offset will now make it impossible to put the factory 18 inch wheels on the SS hub without having clearance problems.

Someone can chime in here but didn't Chevrolet say last week that they will only be offering a 20" winter wheel/tire package? Not saying that you can't put 18" winter tires on factory LS steelies.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #24
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
got to say, that rear end looks like a work of art. As for the wheels question, I think the biggest problem was going to be the 18" wheels fitting over the brembos...if you look at most of the pics of the ss or ss/rs models, you will see that there really isnt enouph clearance around the calibers to go down 2"s....and while Im posting (since I have been on the site for well over a year,but just dont post much) why do people feel the need to insult each other? I dont care if you have 1000 posts or 10, this site is dedicated to a car that we want and the common shared interst by the members of this site...in other words we're on the same team!!! so stop with the hating!!!(exclamations for extra effect)

Hylton...question from what you said above "This was done so that the 20 inch wheels on an RS car would have the same positioning as the SS cars otherwise the offset would track the car incorrectly and affect handling."....does this mean that since I got a lt model without the rs package, that I wont be able to put the 20's on without having tracking problems?
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron8879 View Post
Hylton...question from what you said above "This was done so that the 20 inch wheels on an RS car would have the same positioning as the SS cars otherwise the offset would track the car incorrectly and affect handling."....does this mean that since I got a lt model without the rs package, that I wont be able to put the 20's on without having tracking problems?
I believe the stock 20" wheel will stick out farther on your non RS LT. It might actually look good but can't say how it will effect the handling. Pretty sure that the aftermarket will have to offer wheels in different off-sets to the 5th gen community to deal with the difference.

The rear quarter wheel lips have been turned up from the factory which will be nice for those who want to get a big tire in there and are concerned about it rubbing against the wheel lip.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
Hylton, thanks for your explaination.It's a bit clearer to me now...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #27
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
I think some deep dish polished like chrome rims would be kewl for the camar. Like the old schoold craigers.
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #28
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
I think some deep dish polished like chrome rims would be kewl for the camar. Like the old schoold craigers.
ditto =P