Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Steering Noise

For a little while now I have noticed a noise when I turn the steering wheel. I notice it most in the car and do not think it is audible from outside the car. It almost sounds like the power steering pump noise or the steering wheel itself is rubbing something in the column. I checked the fluid and all it good. Do the 2011 LT's have electronic steering assist? Any thoughts on causes?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
For a little while now I have noticed a noise when I turn the steering wheel. I notice it most in the car and do not think it is audible from outside the car. It almost sounds like the power steering pump noise or the steering wheel itself is rubbing something in the column. I checked the fluid and all it good. Do the 2011 LT's have electronic steering assist? Any thoughts on causes?
Shu71,

I apologize for the steering noise concerns that you are experiencing. I understand that you're seeking opinions of this matter, and wanted you to know that we're also here if you need additional assistance. Feel free to send me a message if needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Shu71

Thanks CCC. Yes I am looking for thoughts on the cause. I have 49000 miles on my 2011 so trying to figure out if this is something covered under warranty or not without diving to the bottom of my wallet at the dealer to find out.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Thanks CCC. Yes I am looking for thoughts on the cause. I have 49000 miles on my 2011 so trying to figure out if this is something covered under warranty or not without diving to the bottom of my wallet at the dealer to find out.
There is a TSB for a steering noise, but I can't lay my hands on it. The service was to change the fluid.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I understand,

Feel free to contact me privately if there is someone at your preferred dealer that you'd like me to discuss this with before heading in for service.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I have a simliar noise on my 2010. Taking it in to a non-dealer shop soon to have it looked over. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I have a simliar noise on my 2010. Taking it in to a non-dealer shop soon to have it looked over. I'll let you know what they say.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Shu71

Well I took it to the dealer and they looked it over and said they have seen this problem on several other models but not on the Camaro yet but that it is the rack that is bad. I noticed now that every now and then on a slight steer into a corner and I actually get a small spot where the steering jumps. I'm frustrated this wouldnt be covered under a warranty repair because Chevy wants over $600 just for the rack, add to that labor, fluid and "shop supplies" and this is going to be a $1000 repair.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
JusticePete

The service department may be right, but it wouldn't hurt to change out the PS fluid and replace it with GM Dexron tranny fluid.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Shu71

Jacked it up and looked it over. It does not make any noises or send and vibration anywhere with engine/power steering off. Only with engine running does it do it. It only does it on initial movement and slight movements. If you crank the steering wheel further it doesn't appear to have the problem. You can feel the vibration in the tie rod ends and up through into the steering wheel. It would be great if I had the TSB regarding changing the fluid out. I asked service manager and they checked on any recalls and I would suspect any TSB but they didn't see any.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Shu71

The dealer did a full review yesterday and the rack and pinion is in fact defective and needs to be replaced. Thank you GM Customer Service for your help on this. They had to order a new rack and will call when it arrives. To ease everyone's minds, the dealer had stated that this is the first Camaro they have seen with the problem so this does not appear to be a common issue.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
The dealer did a full review yesterday and the rack and pinion is in fact defective and needs to be replaced. Thank you GM Customer Service for your help on this. They had to order a new rack and will call when it arrives. To ease everyone's minds, the dealer had stated that this is the first Camaro they have seen with the problem so this does not appear to be a common issue.
Shu71,

You're very welcome and thank you as well for the acknowledgement. I'm glad to hear that parts are being ordered for you. I look forward to your eventual posts, so please keep us updated!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Shu71

...Reminds me to a give a thank you to my local Chevy dealership; Shottenkirk Chevrolet Service Department in Quincy, IL. Everyone in their service department is top notch, thank you all.