Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: Pay the Shop or DIY for AAC Dual Halo Install
DIY 11 57.89%
Pay the Shop ($395) 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Dual Halo Install Poll - please vote

I have a set of blue/white headlight and foglight halos sitting in my bedroom currently. They have been there for awhile. I haven't been able to find a shop until recently (Springfield Auto), they are about 45 min away and need the car overnight. Flat rate is $395 + ?? in the case of anything going wrong/coming up. I have everything needed for the DIY install, and have been going over every and all write ups/tips/videos/etc on how to do it. I also have no commitments until Wednesday, so 4 days in which I can do this.

I'm on the fence really. I want to do the DIY because I really enjoy working on my car and like the feeling of accomplishing something. On the other hand I don't want to screw up and be out A LOT of money. I'd greatly appreciate your opinions/comments arguing one way or the other. Thanks.

Sooo.... DIY or Shop
Old 01-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
rado06

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT RS
I am like you. I like to do everything myself so I can feel like I accomplished something or learn something new. But if you have the extra cash sitting around then let the shop do it so that way if they screw it up they will have to fix it.

Chevy Performance Exhaust
Injen Long tube CAI
RX catch can
BBK long tube headers(coming soon)
rado06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Will the shop do all the wiring in the install, or are they simply putting the halos in the lights? If they aren't doing the wiring I would say try it yourself or send your lights to AAC for the install. I believe they will do it for about half the price if I'm not mistaken.

I going to get the white/blue halos as well and plan on sending my lights to AAC because I don't feel comfortable about splitting and resealing the housing.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
The Stig

I believe it is all the wiring as well. Though the guy on the phone said its their set price for halo install. I have all the parts for re install: silicon, 5 pin relay, gloves, oven, tools.

Just hesitant about screwing up the lights. I mean if something with this install would go wrong *knock on wood* would it be the melting of my lights?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
i am for DIY, as you say you have the parts etc...if you have some mech. knowledge, then go for it..slow and easy....my biggest reason for this is that it is sooooooooooo
hard today to find someone who can and or will be able to install most anything today with care for your stuff. wheather its car,bike or home products.. good luck!
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
The Stig

Well this shop sounds pretty reputable. They are the first shop I found that will open up the headlight housing. So thats a first.

If anybody else has any input I would greatly appreciate it. I'm starting to lean towards the DIY but not sure if I want to risk it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Shadow Camaro

Drives: Rally Yellow 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
dont be a girl :P. wiring is very easy. use a saughtering iron for better connections tho.

Rotofab CAI, SW LT Headers and High Flow Cats, SW Cat-Back, Eibach Pro rear wheel spacers, SS Grill Insert, Street Scene Front Splitter, Blacked out rear emblem, blacked out bezels, plasti-dipped lower bumper, plasti-dipped rims with yellow pinstriping, dyed interior stitching yellow, 2x Kicker CVR 12's w/ 1200 watt kicker amp. MORE TO COME!
Shadow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
The Stig

Yup not worried about soldering. More concerned that I'm biting off more than I can chew.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i do the halos for aac locally and i can tell you there not easy nor hard, it takes time and patients and lots of attention, you need to have full concetration doing it, the camaro has a hard seal and is not the easiest to open and if you over heat it you will melt the housing . the instructions aac gives you are pretty on point. but make sure the shop you might go to has an oven that they dont use a heat gun, i have seen some hack jobs when useing a heat gun and no i have never tried it
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Have you seen turboguy327s thread. He did mine and I watched him. The glue is a pain but keep it hot. He put the lights in the oven at 275 for 15 minutes and they didnt melt. Put it on wood when its in the oven.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
The Stig

Pulled the trigger and did it DIY style this afternoon. 7.5 hours with a friend helping.

Fun fact: on 2011 camaros -> to remove the bumper it is four 10mm bolts and one 7 mm bolt on each side. Not just the left.

Got late so I am saving the wiring for another day. Wiring it up with a 5 pin relay so I can have whites on as if they were oem and then blue on a switch.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
cubjag

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black
So did you make the right choice to DIY?
cubjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
The Stig

Yes. Hands down. So glad I pulled the trigger on doing it myself. I feel so accomplished and pretty proud to know that I rigged it all up. Though I did steal my wiring schematic from another thread here. Set up so I can run my dual halos on one toggle switch. White on the open channel and blue on closed.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
its always nice when you do something and your happy with it. i love it. congratulations.

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote