Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
HPE550 vs GT500 vs SRT8

The HP550 is one quick car.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt8/index.html
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Lol thats awesome nice find! Bout time someone got the official comparison!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Was just going to post this myself! 2010 GT500 rocks!
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
those e-mail responses they got sound like some of the ford guys in the gt500 vs ss forum... they all have the same mentality of throwing price range out the window...isn't it logical, that a higher priced performance car should out perform a lesser priced performance car? i'll take one of the examples from the article

"What a crock you guys did. How do you guys sleep at night? What upset me on the test was you didn't use the SRT or the Shelby in the comparison...you used the R/T and GT to keep the price more inline...I have an idea for next month's test. Compare the Camaro SS against a Kia Rio. They're both cars, have 4 wheels, have an engine and transmission. Close enough."

if we can throw price range out the window then i guess motortrend can just do ZR1 vs. GT500 vs. SRT...see how throwing price range out the window, when comparing performance cars, throws any kind of logical comparison out the window. yes the gt500 outperforms the ss...but at 10-15k more shouldn't it?

props to the gt500 in the article tho, got a lot of good marks and comments from the driver...more proof of it being a solid car for the money

Last edited by benjj; 08-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
I agree with everything benjj said.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
those e-mail responses they got sound like some of the ford guys in the gt500 vs ss forum... they all have the same mentality of throwing price range out the window...isn't it logical, that a higher priced performance car should out perform a lesser priced performance car? i'll take one of the examples from the article

"What a crock you guys did. How do you guys sleep at night? What upset me on the test was you didn't use the SRT or the Shelby in the comparison...you used the R/T and GT to keep the price more inline...I have an idea for next month's test. Compare the Camaro SS against a Kia Rio. They're both cars, have 4 wheels, have an engine and transmission. Close enough."

if we can throw price range out the window then i guess motortrend can just do ZR1 vs. GT500 vs. SRT...see how throwing price range out the window, when comparing performance cars, throws any kind of logical comparison out the window. yes the gt500 outperforms the ss...but at 10-15k more shouldn't it?

props to the gt500 in the article tho, got a lot of good marks and comments from the driver...more proof of it being a solid car for the money

Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
MuscleCarz

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimsoblack View Post
I agree with everything benjj said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rsa180 View Post
Get over it! This a new comparison.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
At every gun fight someone will have a bigger gun...
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
get over what? i've fully accepted the different levels and price tags of the different pony cars. i've also acknowledged that the gt500 is a nice car and for the price your getting more in the gt500 than you would with a car like the hpe550.

i see your "get over it" and raise you with the fact that it was ford fans that wrote into motortrend to express their publicly. these comparos are done for bench racers to on the internet...notice how suddenly the gt500 was able to go from 12.8-12.4? they could have gotten that in the first comparo as well, but what kind of controversy would that bring?
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
The GT500 is a great car but even though it won the article didnt it lose on basically every performance level to the maro???
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
KoTToN

Drives: 2005 SilveradoSS AWD
wow so there is finally an apples to apples comparison (minus the srt-8) , and the camaro ends up crushing the gt500 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but loses in the twisties. The key to that is the fact that they questioned hennessey on it and he admited the suspension setup was off. Seems like this is just what everyone was expecting, and pretty much shows what a z28 would be doing to the gt500. I think if its possible they should do another comparison down the road with an LS7 camaro setup similar to this to see how it would match up NA chevy vs Supercharged 5.4 . Ford better hope it isnt setup like this http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36872 ...

I agree with Benjj, all of those emails they got sounded a lot like the idiotic responses we get on this site. I have to give credit to MT on this as the writer pretty much shoved some common sense right down their throats with his price response.

Hopefully more people get to read this article before the thread gets deleted for upsetting some other car brand members.
Like I said before, there is a dealership that is 4 miles away from my house that has 3 2SS's just sitting on their lot. And this is a very small dealership it's not a high volume dealership in a populated area., Come early summer, when 2011's are coming out, the camaro will be offered for 0%. I guarantee it
Sales Forcasting 101B:
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofcc View Post
apparently you didn't understand my post correctly. If there are 4 (now 6) camaros sitting at a low volume dealership, just imagine how many are sitting at the high volume dealerships
KoTToN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
MuscleCarz

Quote:
get over what? i've fully accepted the different levels and price tags of the different pony cars. i've also acknowledged that the gt500 is a nice car and for the price your getting more in the gt500 than you would with a car like the hpe550.

i see your "get over it" and raise you with the fact that it was ford fans that wrote into motortrend to express their publicly. these comparos are done for bench racers to on the internet...notice how suddenly the gt500 was able to go from 12.8-12.4? they could have gotten that in the first comparo as well, but what kind of controversy would that bring?
I could care less about some people that cried to motortrend.

.96g on the skid pad is pretty impressive also.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
BAD BRAD

Drives: 1969 CAMARO 2010 CAMARO
WE NEED TO SEE SUPERCHARGED SRT8 CHALLENGER IN THE MIX
BAD BRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
MuscleCarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomjohn View Post
The GT500 is a great car but even though it won the article didnt it lose on basically every performance level to the maro???
Shroomjohn is very logical.

Quote:
isn't it logical, that a higher priced performance car should out perform a lesser priced performance car?