Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
sweet99ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Vibration from rear of car under acceleration above 67+

So I bought a 2010 SS camaro a few days ago and I notice I have a pretty bad vibration from the rear of the car when I accelerate at 65+ mph. I can throw it in neutral at anytime and rev it from 70-100mph and never get the vibration. It's only when the car is in gear and under acceleration. It does not do it with the cruise set at any speed only acceleration.

So this leads me to believe it can't be engine related, wheel related, or exhaust related. It must be something in the driveline I jacked the car up and can't see anything wrong. It appears all the bolts are tight and can't see that anything is bent.

So my guess is the driveshaft is bent or out of balance or one of the axles is bent? Anybody have this problem? Let me know what you think!

Last edited by sweet99ss; 07-19-2017 at 05:45 PM.
sweet99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Earnhardtfan77

Drives: Summit White 2012 1LT/RS
i dont have the ss but it could possibly be the rear differential
Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMaxx ported throttle body, RX catch can, Led Interior Lights, Led License plate lights, Hood Spears, Blacked Out Rear Trunk panel, Gills, Blacked Out Front Fascia, and Bow tie
Earnhardtfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Possibly something to do with the drive shaft.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
sweet99ss

I'm thinking driveshaft as well, but I think it's still possible it could be one of the axles or the differential.. Hoping its the driveshaft. I need to go check and make sure the weight are on it.. That's the one thing I haven't checked yet.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
sweet99ss

An update I got the exhaust off to get a better look at all the driveshaft bolts. I put the car in neutral and turned the shaft over and sure enough found 2 loose bolts. in case everybody has this problem. If you have a vibration in the rear check the rear bolts very good. If you have vibration in the middle or front check the front ds bolts good.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet99ss View Post
An update I got the exhaust off to get a better look at all the driveshaft bolts. I put the car in neutral and turned the shaft over and sure enough found 2 loose bolts. in case everybody has this problem. If you have a vibration in the rear check the rear bolts very good. If you have vibration in the middle or front check the front ds bolts good.
Which bolts?

Probably you should replace all the bolts at that location, and if these are the bolts that go through the rubber flex coupling, maybe replace that too.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Sounds like the car was worked on before and the quibo bolts were not replaced....I have 6 on hand when I eventually have to drop it...AT LEAST locktite the bolt/nut if not replacin at this time...good luck...
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
sweet99ss

It was the rear bolts to the diff. I tightened them down good. If any start coming loose again I'll replace. I'm not worried about it now.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
It was the rear bolts to the diff. I tightened them down good. If any start coming loose again I'll replace. I'm not worried about it now.
These are "no reuse" bolts. Also there are alignment marks on the drive shaft and differential flange that should be checked.

My advice on problems with a used car is that "bubba was here". Remove the bolts, check the flex coupler and replace it if necessary (and it is necessary because of the loose bolts and vibration), and re-assemble with the correct new bolts and the correct torque, which is 85 lb ft.

Just sayin'.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Out of round tires can cause a vibration too. Such was my dilemma.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Well clearly the OP has a drive shaft related vibration because it comes and goes with torque. He has quick fixed it by tightening bolts but he is at risk because the bolts shouldn't be re-tightened and reused, and because the "guibo" is toast from all the vibration that already happened.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #12
sweet99ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
These are "no reuse" bolts. Also there are alignment marks on the drive shaft and differential flange that should be checked.

My advice on problems with a used car is that "bubba was here". Remove the bolts, check the flex coupler and replace it if necessary (and it is necessary because of the loose bolts and vibration), and re-assemble with the correct new bolts and the correct torque, which is 85 lb ft.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Well clearly the OP has a drive shaft related vibration because it comes and goes with torque. He has quick fixed it by tightening bolts but he is at risk because the bolts shouldn't be re-tightened and reused, and because the "guibo" is toast from all the vibration that already happened.
the guibo is fine... Vibration is gone only one bolt was slightly loose and then one just broke free easily and I torqued them all down.. The worst thing that will happen is it will come loose again lol I'm not worried about it. Just glad to know what was causing vibration with a car I just bought. I have another 9 second camaro. People worry way to much about piddly stuff IMO. If I have a problem with them continually comming loose I'll get new ones and put some blue loctite on them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
If it was just at a speed that it happend I would agree. The reason I knew it was drive train related is because it only happend under acceleration. I could keep it at a steady speed anywhere from 70-120 with no vibration. I also took the exhaust out of the equation by going through those speeds and revving in neutral. This told me it was not an exhaust vibration.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
the guibo is fine... Vibration is gone only one bolt was slightly loose and then one just broke free easily and I torqued them all down.. The worst thing that will happen is it will come loose again lol I'm not worried about it. Just glad to know what was causing vibration with a car I just bought. I have another 9 second camaro. People worry way to much about piddly stuff IMO. If I have a problem with them continually comming loose I'll get new ones and put some blue loctite on them...

If it was just at a speed that it happend I would agree. The reason I knew it was drive train related is because it only happend under acceleration. I could keep it at a steady speed anywhere from 70-120 with no vibration. I also took the exhaust out of the equation by going through those speeds and revving in neutral. This told me it was not an exhaust vibration.
The "no reuse" bolts have locking material pre-applied.