Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
2014 2SS - Best wheel/tire size for tracking?

I'm beginning to look ahead to the fall and plan another HPDE to VIR. I can already tell from my trip in May that tracking my 2014 2SS on the stock Pirelli's would wear them out in no time, and on this car that would get very expensive very quickly. (21' rims = nearly $600 a tire)

So, I'm going to be purchasing a dedicated set of track wheels and tires and swap them out for track days. I'm going off of the assumption that generally the wider the tire, the more grip it will provide which should result in better lap times.

Is that assumption true and if so, what is the widest tire that I can or should run on a stock SS without flaring the fenders, and what wheels would be best for that tire? I'm talking about track/racing/slick tires too, not street tires, as these will only be used at the track.

Also, I have no problem going to smaller wheels for the track, but would the computer have to be re-calibrated? If so, where would I have that done?
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
The width will obviously vary depending on the diameter of the wheel, as well as much your car has been lowered, if at all.

The only two real reasons to run the fender flares, areodynamics (if you aren't racing for money, then it isn't necessary), the other is to keep road debris from flinging up ( not really a big deal on the track either, just rubber mostly).

I think 315's on 18's and 305's on 19's; if you are trying to keep a square set up. if not, i think some have ran 325's in the rear. Again, dependant on if you lowered your car.

Also, the amount of negative camber will effect what size tire.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I run 19s and i think they are perfect.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Balok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
I run 19s and i think they are perfect.
What width? I'm starting from the assumption that the widest tire I can run on my car without modding the fenders would provide the most grip.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
What type of camber do you plan to run and do you have factory struts? Both would impact fitment and offset needs. A split 19x10/19x11 would be good or 19x11 all around if you have coilovers. It will stick out a fair amount but the fenders will be ok. For a track only setup don't worry about the speedo being off.

Forgestar CF5V's are the best deal going for a lightweight track setup.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balok View Post
What width? I'm starting from the assumption that the widest tire I can run on my car without modding the fenders would provide the most grip.
I have 19x10 front and 19x11 rears. Only thing with the rears is the parking brake cable had to be re located due to rubbing on the inners of the wheel. Parking brake still works btw.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
Balok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
What type of camber do you plan to run
From another thread, Orange Crush 1LE recommended this: -2.2 degrees front / -1.1 degrees rear camber, 0.25 deg toe-out per side, front (a couple of people recommended less, more like 0.16 deg toe-out per side max), 0.10 toe-in per side, rear. So I'll talk to my mechanic and see if this can be done on my car.

Quote:
and do you have factory struts?
Yes, the suspension is 100% stock right now.

Quote:
Both would impact fitment and offset needs. A split 19x10/19x11 would be good or 19x11 all around if you have coilovers. It will stick out a fair amount but the fenders will be ok. For a track only setup don't worry about the speedo being off.
I don't know if I have coilovers or not, like I say, it's 100% stock.

Quote:
Forgestar CF5V's are the best deal going for a lightweight track setup.
I'm hpoing I can find some stock rims somebody wants to sell for pretty cheap. I think there's a lot of them in the 5th gen Camaro Club of NC. I definitely like the idea of a smaller wheel just for the amount they will lower the car.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Balok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
I have 19x10 front and 19x11 rears. Only thing with the rears is the parking brake cable had to be re located due to rubbing on the inners of the wheel. Parking brake still works btw.
I already have 275's on the back, aren't they pretty close to 11"? They divide out to 10.82" if I'm understanding tire size correctly.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Virus

9inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Virus

I have 315s on the 11s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 AM   #11
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
19x10 or 19x11 (with coilovers).

The 19" square setup is proven. The smaller wheel/tire package gain you in unsprung weight and a slight gain in final rear drive ratio.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I already have 275's on the back, aren't they pretty close to 11"? They divide out to 10.82" if I'm understanding tire size correctly.
Chevy mounts the 275/40's on 20 x 9 wheels. That results in the tire having some bulge out past the edges of the wheels.

Chevy's main considerations seem to be ride quality and scuff protection for the wheels, which I guess is a reasonable position to take when considering random drivers who only care about normal street driving in traffic plus maybe the occasional run down at the local drag strip. It's not so good where hard cornering is involved, where you want the wheels to be somewhat wider relative to the tires.

275/xx is a little narrow for a car as heavy as the Camaro even for just the occasional track time. In any case I personally wouldn't run 275's on wheels any narrower than 10" even for 100% street use.

On edit, something in the width ranges that the 1LE uses is perhaps a reasonable place to start. 285-wide tires on 10" wide wheels as a minimum, on 10.5" or even 11" being preferable. 11" wide wheels will let you up-size the tires a bit, where 10" really doesn't. The downsides are that offset gets more critical and you may have to tweak alignment in order to make them fit under all driving circumstances.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
Balok

Thanks for your feedback guys. I've been doing some more research and it looks like the 19X11's is the way to go based on your responses and tires available. However, the 19" wheels limit me to only Hoosier R6's in in these sizes:

295/30-19 & 295/35-19

Just to throw this out there for discussion, an 18" rim gives me a little more options in that I could also try the Kuhmo Ecsta V710's in a 305 if I wanted to at some point. What are your thoughts on 18's?

Also, I was talking to the service manager at the dealership where I bought my car and discussing the re-calibration of the computer and was told that the calibration is set at the factory to the size of wheels the car comes with, in my case 21", and CANNOT be recalibrated to a different size wheel! Can anyone confirm this as being accurate or is this guy in error?

As long as it don't affect the ABS I'm ok with that as I was going to take all the training wheels (TC and Stabilitrack) off the next time at the track anyway. I only saw Stabilitrak come on once and that was on exit of the Oak Tree turn and I got on the curb on track out. But I'd like the ABS to still work.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I've been doing some more research and it looks like the 19X11's is the way to go based on your responses and tires available. However, the 19" wheels limit me to only Hoosier R6's in in these sizes:

295/30-19 & 295/35-19

Just to throw this out there for discussion, an 18" rim gives me a little more options in that I could also try the Kuhmo Ecsta V710's in a 305 if I wanted to at some point. What are your thoughts on 18's?

Also, I was talking to the service manager at the dealership where I bought my car and discussing the re-calibration of the computer and was told that the calibration is set at the factory to the size of wheels the car comes with, in my case 21", and CANNOT be recalibrated to a different size wheel! Can anyone confirm this as being accurate or is this guy in error?

As long as it don't affect the ABS I'm ok with that as I was going to take all the training wheels (TC and Stabilitrack) off the next time at the track anyway. I only saw Stabilitrak come on once and that was on exit of the Oak Tree turn and I got on the curb on track out. But I'd like the ABS to still work.
I am running a 305/30/19 Hankook RS3, 140 tread wear as I use the car when I instruct.

I was informed by my dealer the computer can be flashed with their TechII for different tire diameters if they came on the car. I will know tomorrow if the Z/28 305/30/19 setting is in there. If not, it can be done with an aftermarket flash.