Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
I'm having a similar issue on my 2010. Small occasional spot left on the floor. My car only has 6k miles on it, however with the mods I have I doubt Chevy would help me under the power train warranty. I was quoted $375 if it's a rear main from the shop I use.
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by vclark6 View Post
What's up guys I'm new to this. I live in the houston humble area. But I have a question. Most of the time afte a drive longer than 30 mins or so I have a small amount of oil under my care. After a drive when I get out and look under the car I don't see anything but when I come out in the morning again I have a spot or two. Anyone can help me with this please and thank you
Chevy small blocks always have had a rear main leak issue....

Back in 1997 I bought a new Camaro SS, 2500 miles later, rear main leak. I never raced or abused the Camaro at all. GM wanted the engine pulled and a new rear main installed and I refused because we all know that a dealer would make matters even worse. After 1 month they agreed to buy it back and had me another 1997 Camaro SS delivered to a dealer local to me and I gave up the original one. So fast forward 6000 miles, same issue, another rear main leak.

By that time I was so fed up with Chevrolet's that I sold it and drove Mustang's with V8's (never one engine or rear main issue) and just recently bought this 2014 Camaro SS and if it does develop a rear main leak then I am done.

Seems to me after over 50 years of building small blocks that Chevy could get it right.

So I hope that is not your issue....
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by vclark6 View Post
It was the rear main seal. She's at the dealer
Oh sorry, just saw this last post of yours....Damn rear main.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #18
Silverado60

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
My car had the oil cooler leak. At first, I thought it came from a lower point on the engine, but after a closer look, I tracked it down to the oil cooler (which is higher up on the driver side of the motor). The leak trickles down and gets the bottom of the engine wet and it appears to be coming from the middle section.
Just purchased a 2010 camaro ss with 14k miles found wet oil filter and wet oil pan this weekend. Dealer said they put dye in oil so they can use a uv light to find the leak. Hope the don't have to pull the engine!
Silverado60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
There is a TSB on the Oil Cooler gasket driver side, It's a cheap small somewhat oval gasket and can be replaced when you get an oil change in about the same time. I caught it when I was cleaning under the car and saw some fresh drips hanging from the aluminum housing on the cooler. If you let it go awhile, it's harder to pinpoint that leak for some. Every dealer should know about this TSB and be willing to take care of it. if they are not, find a new dealer. as for the oil pan, well yep needed that too a year after the other leak was detected. That's a BIG job. the subframe has to come off the car and they support the engine from the top end with a bar over the tower struts or they rig something up under. And make sure you have it realigned after you put the subframe back on
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
Silverado60

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS M6
Dealer said they are pulling the tranny to replace a seal .and that's all the info I could get! What ever happened to having an experienced mechanic behind the counter? I'm assuming they are replacing the rear main. Said it's covered under warranty
Silverado60 is offline   Reply With Quote