Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
Kirk - Out of curiosity if someone were to have one of your tunes and the factory declined warranty coverage based on the tune not matching the factory tune would you be willing to cover the cost of repairs?
Don't go there. The last thread about this went way off track and got closed.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #30
cwalms

Drives: 2SS Red Jewel Tint
Send a message via Skype™ to cwalms
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
Don't go there. The last thread about this went way off track and got closed.
Sorry, didn't know that. I was just curious.
cwalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #31
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalms View Post
Sorry, didn't know that. I was just curious.
You can read up on it here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39558
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the G8 ISNT the same ECM, its the same family, but the Camaro gets one with quite a few new revisions (one being the addition of the third medium speed data bus that the Tech 2 cant be used to read).

Just because you dont consider the OLMS an actual mileage counter does not mean that GM does not as well.
The 2009.5 ECM is most certainly ther same ECM. I have plenty of them in running Camaro's right now. We call it a E38V2.

If GM wants to call a owner re-settable system a mileage counter, I guess that is OK. It will only show the mileage from the last user re-set.

On a side note, I just replaced a ECM in a new Camaro and didn't have to re-set the oil life, it was still correct.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #33
Enginerd

Drives: GM
The internet is a great place to disseminate information, this message board is no exception however there seems to be a lot of misinformation relative to our ECM family specifically the Camaro ECM so I’d like to take a minute to address some statements to allow a glimpse into how we program these controllers.

Does the E38 have a “flash counter”?
Both the original E38A and E38B have support for a flash “tracking system” of sorts. While it’s not as in depth as the Bosch E35 used on the LMM trucks it does exist however current production releases have it disabled, but this could change at any time. When programmed by a GM Facility the unit already stores the programming date (as sent by the programming software) as well as the programming station or repair facility ID.

OLMS/Odometer
OLMS does have an Odometer?
Yes it does, its used for a very small part of the OLMS system operation.

“OLMS is partially in the ECM”
OLMS resides in it entirety in the ECM. On this note OLMS does not read mileage from the IPC or any other module in the vehicle.

“The 2009.5 G8 ECM is the same as the Camaro”
While they both have the revisions for the new version 8 software they are most certainly not the same. The 2009.5 L76/LS3 G8 uses the 12625455 ECM for software rev 8.9 while the Camaro uses the 12633238 for the newer 8.10 software. In fact if you load a Camaro calibration into the G8 ECM it will render it unusable.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
AFM actually can be controlled by the transmission status bit, this is how it’s turned off in Manual mode otherwise when the ECM saw the conditions even in manual mode to enter AFM it would. The AFM enable by trans status bit can be set in the ECM.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
kelley@vectormotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
The internet is a great place to disseminate information, this message board is no exception however there seems to be a lot of misinformation relative to our ECM family specifically the Camaro ECM so I’d like to take a minute to address some statements to allow a glimpse into how we program these controllers.

Does the E38 have a “flash counter”?
Both the original E38A and E38B have support for a flash “tracking system” of sorts. While it’s not as in depth as the Bosch E35 used on the LMM trucks it does exist however current production releases have it disabled, but this could change at any time. When programmed by a GM Facility the unit already stores the programming date (as sent by the programming software) as well as the programming station or repair facility ID.

Thanks for helping clear this up.

OLMS/Odometer
OLMS does have an Odometer?
Yes it does, its used for a very small part of the OLMS system operation.

“OLMS is partially in the ECM”
OLMS resides in it entirety in the ECM. On this note OLMS does not read mileage from the IPC or any other module in the vehicle.

My main point is there is no "hard" milage counter in the ECM. That is what the original question was.

“The 2009.5 G8 ECM is the same as the Camaro”
While they both have the revisions for the new version 8 software they are most certainly not the same. The 2009.5 L76/LS3 G8 uses the 12625455 ECM for software rev 8.9 while the Camaro uses the 12633238 for the newer 8.10 software. In fact if you load a Camaro calibration into the G8 ECM it will render it unusable.

I have yet to purchase a 2010 ECM I always use 2009.5 E38's. I have not had an issue running them in a 2010 Camaro. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=74
AFM actually can be controlled by the transmission status bit, this is how it’s turned off in Manual mode otherwise when the ECM saw the conditions even in manual mode to enter AFM it would. The AFM enable by trans status bit can be set in the ECM. [

You are correct here, but we can not find this as of yet. I think I know why you can.
a
Old 10-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #35
Enginerd

Drives: GM
Without getting into any security infringement the Odometer for OLMS is hard but there are other things that work with it and store other info relative to it.

As far as the '10 software on the 09 ECM, the only way that would work is if it was a new green unit and you loaded it and even that is short lived. The unit will load but once the MEC decrements down to 0 and turns security on the unit will be a paperweight for all intents and purposes. It will run but more than likely with a RAM error however it will be unable to be re-written past this point.

This was the issue that Corvette owners have run into as of late I'm sure others in the aftermarket have encountered this as well as I've seen a lot of these units with '10 software on them from people trying to add launch control to the 2009 Corvette.
Enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

You can't lose your warranty if you don't jack with the ECM and tune your car. Simple as that. And if you tune, ....and if something breaks....., don't go crying to GM telling them to fix it. In fact, for those wanting to change out ECM's to try and hide the fact the car had been tuned, ask yourself.....

Is the possibility of losing the entire 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over 20 to 30hp really worth it?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #37
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

In fact, for those wanting to change out ECM's to try and hide the fact the car had been tuned, ask yourself.....

Is the possibility of losing the entire 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over 20 to 30hp really worth it?
Shouldn't this decision be up to the people who actually are on the fence about geting tuned rather than your obviously biased opnion about tuning?
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
I've said it before...where is the integrity among enthusiasts? Stop treating you pride and joy like you hiding your income from IRS! Do what you like (tune or no tune), don't try to HIDE it, and IF you get caught, D'up and accept the fact that you like everyone before you has to PAY TO PLAY!
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #39
EAkrish
Scout Sniping

Drives: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew
Send a message via AIM to EAkrish
I have been in for warranty work directly related to reprogramming using the diagnostic port and had no issues.

Now I drive a F150 Supercrew
EAkrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #40
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Vectormotorsports View Post
Shouldn't this decision be up to the people who actually are on the fence about geting tuned rather than your obviously biased opnion about tuning?
He's simply trying to protect our members, and you guys seem like you take offense to us questioning you. But I always tend to ask more questions on things that interest me.......that's just me though.

Also, don't be rude, especially towards any of our moderators, we don't take that too kindly.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #41
kelley@vectormotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tightwads View Post
I've said it before...where is the integrity among enthusiasts? Stop treating you pride and joy like you hiding your income from IRS! Do what you like (tune or no tune), don't try to HIDE it, and IF you get caught, D'up and accept the fact that you like everyone before you has to PAY TO PLAY!
Agreed!

Truthfully I have seen more warranty claims from aftermarket wheels/tires than from tunes (which I have seen none).
Old 10-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #42
Steve@Vectormotorsports

Drives: Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
He's simply trying to protect our members, and you guys seem like you take offense to us questioning you. But I always tend to ask more questions on things that interest me.......that's just me though.

Also, don't be rude, especially towards any of our moderators, we don't take that too kindly.
Well your "moderator" made a statment saying, is it worth losing your 5 year/100,000 mile warranty over being tuned. Instead of trying to mislead members on information that isnt factual, it may have been better stated as losing your powertrain warranty. I have an email box full of emails and p.m's from members who say that the cheerleading from the anti tuners is getting to be a bit much. Your questions are always welcome.

We consider the members of this board to be a well informed community and can make educated decisions on there own.
Steve@Vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote