Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #29
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
do this... you'll win everything

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/image...en1_PScopy.jpg
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #30
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Why does everyone start talking about the Z06 like it's king when the ZR1 is a better (faster) car?

Is it because the Z06 is more common/attainable?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #31
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Why does everyone start talking about the Z06 like it's king when the ZR1 is a better (faster) car?

Is it because the Z06 is more common/attainable?
It's one of three top tier models ...

C6r , Z06 , ZR1
Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #32
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post

and Speed74SS - Please don't take this the wrong way, because you have a VERY nice car and I'm sure it's VERY quick, but 2-3 seconds per lap is an eternity on a road course. I wouldn't say that's competitive with a vette.

I don't take much the wrong way - everyone has opinions. I just have had some track time with a lot of different cars. It is a 2.4 mile road track which has 14 turns and 3 decent straights of between 120 - 150mph. 2-3 seconds on this track is competitive, depending on the drivers of course. Learning the lines of the track is the biggest thing. I know I can't hang in the corners because of the weight disadvantage but I know I am a lot closer than a stock Camaro is, thats for sure. I have also had better lap times than some of the other Z06's on the track but they aren't as good at the lines yet either, so I don't like to compare my lap times to them. I try to go for the better drivers times. It's just fun using the car to its full potential and seeing what you can do with it against other cars on the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
2-3 Seconds a lap is a LONG time in racing.
Depends on the track. It's not that long at the track I am at and I am still improving also. You see alot of car's times all over the place. I am consistantly faster than the GTR's at the track and I don't run race slicks. Does that mean my car is better or does that mean they can't drive or don't want to push it?? A lot of things play into track times when you are not a professional driver. Learn the lines at the track and you will take a lot of more expensive cars down. No matter what you are doing - it comes down to the driver mod.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #33
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSLY View Post
Depends on the track. My home turf is 2.9 miles and a fast lap is around 2 minutes. 2-3 seconds is pretty damn close - on that track.
Yep - Our track is 2.4 miles and I am running about 1 min 46 seconds. I have improved about 7 seconds from when I started at the beginning of the summer. A lot of fun

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #34
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
I wish so bad that I lived near a track. I would love it

see if you can get someone with a Z06 to let you track it. then you'd really see how close the camaro is!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #35
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I wish so bad that I lived near a track. I would love it

see if you can get someone with a Z06 to let you track it. then you'd really see how close the camaro is!
One of my good friends goes to the track with me. He has a 2009 Z06 with headers. I have ridden on track with him a few times and we usually have a good time going back and forth on the track. He is the one that got me hooked on road racing

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
wlorton

Drives: Looking to Buy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n!ght r!der View Post
The SS camaro and the base vette have the same engine. Thats what they compared em.
Yes and No, both are LS3's but they have different power outputs
wlorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #37
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
WEll the Camaro is a big brother to the Cobalt So the Camaro is the middle child...which would account for all of its badass-ery
Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 AM   #38
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
I've already beaten a few corvette's and porche's at the drag strip. Now that I have further modified my camaro I am quite sure even ZR1's are within reach. Spend the $$$ abd find out for yourself. The Camaro has alot of potiental with the right mod's.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #39
BlackieRay

Drives: 2002 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiot88 View Post
I know the camaro can put down some big numbers in hp. But will the camaro ever be able to compete with the corvette on circuit tracks? Wut mods wud u need? I guess wut I'm saying is I bought the camaro for its style. Now how can I make it run with the vette?
It's a marketing thing with GM. The only F-body that ever ran faster than the same year vettes was the 1975-1979 Trans Ams. In that case the people at Chevrolet cried to head office and eventually forced the Pontiac engine out of production.

You can't make a 2010 Camaro run like a Corvette. The car just doesn't have the structural dynamics, weight, balance or engineering. You can dump all the aftermarket parts into it you like, but the car's HUGE size will always be a hinderance. Camaro is a great straight-line racer that looks great, you should capitalize on what it does well. Drag racing is what a muscle car does well.
BlackieRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #40
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
just commenting on the Z06 vs ZR1 differance.
in the average joes hands the Z06 would be much better on track. yes the ZR1 has more HP but ive driven both on a road course and i was much quicker in the Z06. the traction control on the ZR1 is so sensitive that you cant get the power down on exit til the wheels are almost completely straight. if you were trying to go before the car was ready then you have to recover from the traction control before the car even launches down the straight,. an ameture does not want to turn the traction control off on a ZR1 because the power comes in like the power band on a 2 stroke dirt bike and your looking the other way before you feal the car get loose. a real pro driver could do great in a ZR1 but for average joes on track days, the Z06 is the car to not challange. anyone can go fast, superfast in a Z06.
i know, way too much useless info. your welcome. lol
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #41
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
in the average joes hands the Z06 would be much better on track. yes the ZR1 has more HP but ive driven both on a road course and i was much quicker in the Z06. the traction control on the ZR1 is so sensitive that you cant get the power down on exit til the wheels are almost completely straight. if you were trying to go before the car was ready then you have to recover from the traction control before the car even launches down the straight,. an ameture does not want to turn the traction control off on a ZR1 because the power comes in like the power band on a 2 stroke dirt bike and your looking the other way before you feal the car get loose. a real pro driver could do great in a ZR1 but for average joes on track days, the Z06 is the car to not challange. anyone can go fast, superfast in a Z06.
Makes sense though!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #42
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
We have to go through a certification class to run the course. I run with the traction control and the stabilitrac totally off. There is something to be said about learning to drive the car and not let the car drive you. It gets a little exciting when you are going 90mph mid corner and your back end starts to drift out though. The good thing is, if you make a mistake, they are all flat run offs. I tried to run some wet laps with all the aids off and that doesn't work so well though

I agree - if I wanted a pure track car, I would buy a Z06. Power to weight is the best and they look bad azz. I wanted a Z06 right away but needed a 4 seater and so the Camaro was my first, second choice. I however love the look of the Camaro and it is fun to have a muscle car again, so you do the best with what you have and continue to try and improve your driving skills. I would love the chance to drive a ZR1 - I'll bet you had fun driving and comparing both of the cars!!