Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #57
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree878 View Post
It doesn't on mine.
Comes on regardless.

Biggest problem I'm having now is going to turn right on red on a small hill. I don't realize the assist has come on because I'm looking at the heavy traffic coming my way looking for an opening to shoot into, then when I try to go, I'm being held. I'm not stalling as much now, but I'm burning the clutch a lot more.

Does it tell you somewhere when the hill assist comes on???

If you pull up the e-brake does it turn off? Or does it turn off if you pull the e-brake and then take your foot off the brake pedal?
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #58
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by metthem View Post

If you pull up the e-brake does it turn off? Or does it turn off if you pull the e-brake and then take your foot off the brake pedal?
It is random I have found. Some inclines it will engage and some it will not. I think if you're on an incline and release the clutch and re-engage it and you roll back a little bit it will engage.

It engages at the top of my parking garage sometimes and I'm not sure why as it is complete flat it does cause me to stall at times because it is not an incline and the hill assist does not work right on a flat surface.

It's an annoying feature but does not come up very often and should NOT discourage you from owning and enjoying a Camaro.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #59
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:

You do get a message flashed on the DIC when you put the stick in 1st or Reverse. So far the best workaround I've found is pulling up one click on the e-brake.
As was stated above, this shouldn't be a deal-killer for anyone considering a '13. There's plenty of other new things this year that I love about the car, and I'm slowly getting used to HSA (I try to work with it about half the time it engages, I have a lot of inclines around me).

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #60
ZL1Reaper

Drives: '13 Silver Ice Metallic ZL1
The best alternative for me has been stepping on the brake pedal just enough the prevent the car from rolling.
ZL1Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #61
metthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
You do get a message flashed on the DIC when you put the stick in 1st or Reverse. So far the best workaround I've found is pulling up one click on the e-brake.
As was stated above, this shouldn't be a deal-killer for anyone considering a '13. There's plenty of other new things this year that I love about the car, and I'm slowly getting used to HSA (I try to work with it about half the time it engages, I have a lot of inclines around me).
What happens when you pull the e-break up one click? Does it turn hill assist off? Do you then take your foot off the brake? Please clarify what you do and what it does.
This whole hill assist thing sounds like a clutch burner
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #62
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I cant believe there isn't a damn fix for this yet. I know how to work around it but I shouldn't have to on my car. It really is the dumbest damn thing I have ever dealt with on a vehicle. I will never buy another car chevy or not with this stupid ass option on it......
Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #63
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
You could try to go through Brandon or in the U.S., call the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. In Canada, call General Motors of Canada Customer Care Centre at 1-800-263-3777 (English).

I would like the option to shut this feature off as well, maybe a poll of ZL1 owners would help convince GM to address this customer request. I did get the call from GM shortly after my purchase asking me if I had any concerns for the engineers and I wish I had experienced this before they called.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #64
only the beSSt

Drives: IOM 1LE, awaiting my return
We need to get this thread stickied to garner some more attention to the issue. Are there any other good ways to get a petition, poll, or any other ways for us to mass together and get GM's attention?
only the beSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #65
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
What happens when you pull the e-break up one click? Does it turn hill assist off? Do you then take your foot off the brake? Please clarify what you do and what it does.
This whole hill assist thing sounds like a clutch burner
One click is enough to turn off the HSA, so you'll want to have your foot on the brake pedal and drive normally. Only drawback to this method is you'll get the chime reminding you your brake is "set" when you start moving.

Someone else mentioned before that the HSA will set the brakes according to the last pressure you used. This is true also, and you can change it when HSA engages by easing up on the brake pedal to where there's just enough pressure applied to hold the car in place, and then you drive through the lighter braking. I tried this method, it works, but I'm not a fan of it. The e-brake method is just simpler, IMO.

Last edited by OzzySS; 02-15-2013 at 02:46 AM.
OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #66
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I have started shifting to neutral on hills before I stop. Then shift to 1st as I lift off the brake. Seems to trick the computer. As long as you are in neutral you can roll back and not engage HSA.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #67
metthem

Poll started http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277285
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #68
DLUX

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange 1SS RS
I can't stand the HSA either. Didn't realize it at the time, but it's why I stalled the car twice during test drive on inclines.Didn't know the car had it before I bought it. Been driving manuals for 24yrs, and really hate the HSA on this car. Wish it could be turned off. I can get going on a hill on my own without rolling back at all, don't need the assist. Been using light brake pressure on hills like others here. Have had the car for about 5 months now, and it's probably the biggest compalint I have along with the skip shift (which I got the plug for) and a very noisy transmission when you disengage clutch.
DLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #69
Lifelong GM

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Honestly, this is bullshit. I don't even have my '13 yet, and I'm already really pissed off that I'm going to have to deal with this. They need to add a way to disable it, even if it's a permanent switch done at the dealership. And they need to get on it ASAP.
My order of my 2013 is on hold until this feature can be disabled by the owner /operator .I don't want to relearn how to drive!
Lifelong GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #70
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
I'm definitely more used to it now, but it still bothers me.

Yesterday I pulled into a mod shop in Birmingham. Several car guys hanging around and 5 nice cars inside for dyno time or just BSing and showing off.
It's a steep incline into the shop and none of these people know me. And HSA kicks on when I'm pulling in. Had to ride the hell out of the clutch and after being there a while one of the guys asked me if I'd just gotten a stick since they thought I had trouble with the hill.
I explained, but I'm sure they don't believe me.
Fricking embarrassing.
I've been driving a stick for longer than some of them have been alive and my last car had more power on motor than their boosted examples
Dupree878 is offline   Reply With Quote