Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #15
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You don't understand engineers very well, do you? They say that the fastest way to get something done is to tell an engineer its impossible. Its a game for both sides. The SAE creates the rule book to even out the playing field. But like any other rulebook, its a paperback not chiseled in stone. There are ways to bend it which ever way you want. The manufacturers will try and get around the test procedure (in many cases, they help to write the procedure) and engines will be under rated (or over rated as the case may be). Then a new procedure will be created and the cycle will continue.

For reference, the 5.7L hemi in the Challenger (370 crank hp rating) dynos at about 335 to the wheel. The LS3 in the G8 has dyno'd 370 to the wheel (415 crank rating). This is approximately a 10% driveline loss. One of three this is going on here:

1. Those engines were unsually strong
2. They have very low drive line losses
3. They're under rated.

I'm leaning towards #3 because if you assume the standard 15% driveline loss from the 'regular' versions (390 hp Hemi, 436 hp LS3) you get . . . 332 and 371 which within error margin of what they dyno'd at.
Are you even a member at SAE? have you even checked out the site or read up the complete process and tolerances the manufacturers must meet? Based on your answer, it's obvious you haven't.

Your assuming 15% which is outrageously high. MAYBE for a modern automatic. The typical manual transmission car will lose ~11-13%. Some as low as 10% with the right set up.

I will agree, engines can be underrated. They just can't be underrated and SAE Certified at the same time.

BTW, according to SAE.org, the hemi is not SAE Certified.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
GOT PSI

Drives: SRT-4
Quote:
GTR: Get Transmission Replaced
No sh1t! I just saw this in another thread and it all became clear. LoL
Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
Are you even a member at SAE? have you even checked out the site or read up the complete process and tolerances the manufacturers must meet? Based on your answer, it's obvious you haven't.

Your assuming 15% which is outrageously high. MAYBE for a modern automatic. The typical manual transmission car will lose ~11-13%. Some as low as 10% with the right set up.

I will agree, engines can be underrated. They just can't be underrated and SAE Certified at the same time.

BTW, according to SAE.org, the hemi is not SAE Certified.
Actually, I have a membership that expires March 31
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982camaro View Post
i heard the gtr is underrated at 480 hp, i heard its really 500 plus hp
Beyond not being SAE rated. they are individually cast and hand built making each one its own unique system....

They only averaged that ratings... The one that did the Nurburgring lap was dyno'd at 515HP... the one Motor Trend god was dyno'd at 550HP...

Some I've seen out at 460HP... so yeah... its all different.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #19
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I'll go with #4 which is .... different dynos and different readings .. he could take that same G8 to another dyno and dyno lower .. or higher ... the good thing is that he got a baseline and can use that dyno to attempt to figure out gains of his mods ...

I do believe that there will be a certain % error in ratings .. Even if the LS3 in the G8 was certified at 415hp .. I think % error will have this rating fluctuate as well ..

I also do believe that most manual drivetrains will see around a 12% loss these days and a little higher for Automatics ..

Crowley

Quote:
You don't understand engineers very well, do you? They say that the fastest way to get something done is to tell an engineer its impossible. Its a game for both sides. The SAE creates the rule book to even out the playing field. But like any other rulebook, its a paperback not chiseled in stone. There are ways to bend it which ever way you want. The manufacturers will try and get around the test procedure (in many cases, they help to write the procedure) and engines will be under rated (or over rated as the case may be). Then a new procedure will be created and the cycle will continue.

For reference, the 5.7L hemi in the Challenger (370 crank hp rating) dynos at about 335 to the wheel. The LS3 in the G8 has dyno'd 370 to the wheel (415 crank rating). This is approximately a 10% driveline loss. One of three this is going on here:

3. They're under rated.

I'm leaning towards #3 because if you assume the standard 15% driveline loss from the 'regular' versions (390 hp Hemi, 436 hp LS3) you get . . . 332 and 371 which within error margin of what they dyno'd at.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

3. They're under rated.

I remember reading the way GM used to get around certifications was to not referrence power at the power peak but lower. For example, I believe the ZL1 was rated by GM at 430 horse' at 5800 (for example) but it actually came closer to 500 at like 6500. I can't find the literature on-line (I think I have it in a Hot Rod article from back in the day, but it goes along what DG' said. I mean, the LS3 will make what GM certifies it to make at that RPM, but it could make more.

Quote:
Actually, I have a membership that expires March 31
You're a P.E.?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I remember reading the way GM used to get around certifications was to not referrence power at the power peak but lower. For example, I believe the ZL1 was rated by GM at 430 horse' at 5800 (for example) but it actually came closer to 500 at like 6500. I can't find the literature on-line (I think I have it in a Hot Rod article from back in the day, but it goes along what DG' said. I mean, the LS3 will make what GM certifies it to make at that RPM, but it could make more.

You're a P.E.?
The SAE Certification process didn't start untill a few years ago (2006 I believe). That same dancing around and manipulating that worked before won't work anymore. Talk of rating at a specific/different RPM with the SAE Certification process is how rumors and wrong information is spread.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
You're a P.E.?
Not yet, it is a student membership that I received for last year in order to compete in an SAE design challenge (mini Baja). But I do have membership to the Society of Automotive Engineers.

Quote:
The SAE Certification process didn't start untill a few years ago (2006 I believe). That same dancing around and manipulating that worked before won't work anymore. Talk of rating at a specific/different RPM with the SAE Certification process is how rumors and wrong information is spread.
GM was the first to adopt it in 2005, I believe the first engine they certified with it was the LS7.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I meant to add that, but do you know if they are completely tied to listing the highest output? I mean, like my post, where the ZL1 was stated as making power at a certain RPM, it really made more power at higher RPMs. I know that SAE didn't test like this back then, but do they now? I'm asking in all seriousness, not to be difficult

Quote:
Not yet, it is a student membership that I received for last year in order to compete in an SAE design challenge (mini Baja). But I do have membership to the Society of Automotive Engineers.

GM was the first to adopt it in 2005, I believe the first engine they certified with it was the LS7.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #24
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
I had one too. I was with the formula team, but that didn't last long as the whole program here is very disorganized and I ditched. Then I switched to a business major lol.

I think it still might be possible to get around a few things still to underrate the power, the thing we need to know is the real drive line efficiency.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
I had one too. I was with the formula team, but that didn't last long as the whole program here is very disorganized and I ditched. Then I switched to a business major lol.

I think it still might be possible to get around a few things still to underrate the power, the thing we need to know is the real drive line efficiency.
if they want to underrate, the manufacturer just wouldn't certify the engine. it's as easy as that.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Quote:
I meant to add that, but do you know if they are completely tied to listing the highest output? I mean, like my post, where the ZL1 was stated as making power at a certain RPM, it really made more power at higher RPMs. I know that SAE didn't test like this back then, but do they now? I'm asking in all seriousness, not to be difficult

SAE has all the dyno's with all the related information (engine/coolant temps, oil temps, etc.) for download. They are expensive, but the information is all there.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
SAE has all the dyno's with all the related information (engine/coolant temps, oil temps, etc.) for download. They are expensive, but the information is all there.
So SAE posts all of the results then? If that's the case, I understand now; yeah, it wouldn't really be possible to underrate an engine in that case.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #28
mp11

Drives: .
Quote:
if they want to underrate, the manufacturer just wouldn't certify the engine. it's as easy as that.
Then just what is the purpose of certifying? Is there a benefit to the car company?
mp11 is offline   Reply With Quote