Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
STS Turbo Worries

So I'm starting to seriously think about getting an STS turbo for the V6. I had a few worries, because of the location of the turbo though, and I was wondering if people who already have this setup can shed some light.

So, I was curious if in heavy rain, is it possible to flood the intake or damage the hot turbo?

Also, is driving in the snow even possible? What about salted roads?

I'm curious because I would like to go turbo, but STS is the only option currently, and we still want to drive the car regularly.

Maybe I should wait for an alternative?
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
CamaroFreako
KMK

Drives: Slow V6 Camaro
Save the money for the coming Z28
CamaroFreako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
a red maro

Drives: Victory Red 2lt RS V6 auto
i was thinking the same thing also. why isn't there an option that the turbo is placed in the engine bay? lol

a red maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Unknown SSRS

Drives: 2011 VR SS/RS
there is.... turbonetics single turbo kit.. bot on kit.. no modification needed. comes with diable handheld tuner.... rated 600+ whp
Unknown SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown SSRS View Post
there is.... turbonetics single turbo kit.. bot on kit.. no modification needed. comes with diable handheld tuner.... rated 600+ whp
I don't think that statement is accurate. It might be rated at 600rwhp on the V8 but not the V6.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
ZNOLMT

Quote:
Is this kid available yet ??

Keeping in mind we're talking about the V6.

STS seems to be the only available one I've seen. I am yet to hear of anyone with a turbonetics kit on their V6 Camaro.

Quote:
Save the money for the coming Z28
Z28 is a possibility.

A very tempting one at that. Should be unveiled next week at Detroit !

The cons though, would be a higher car payment, and likely a killer insurance payment ..

Can we trade in the V6 if it isn't payed off yet?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
AftershocK

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LT/RS
You can trade in your v6 if its not paid off, but you probably wont get $h!t for the trade-in. In most cases anyways....
AftershocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Unknown SSRS

lol sorry... didnt read your sig... thought u had a v8... mybad...
Old 01-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
ZNOLMT

Quote:
lol sorry... didnt read your sig... thought u had a v8... mybad...
No worries.

What I found interesting though, is that even with the Turbonetics kit, the turbos are located behind the cats, so they would kindof be exposed to potential hazards like water, snow, even bumps. At least with their kit though, the air filter is still under the hood.

Quote:
You can trade in your v6 if its not paid off, but you probably wont get $h!t for the trade-in. In most cases anyways....
Yeah, this seems a bit worrisome.

The idea of a Turbo V6 Camaro does have it's own sort of appeal though. Even if it isn't as powerful as a Z28, from a tuner perspective at least it does seem really cool!

I think a Turbo V6 would be it's own kind of fun. Which is why I'm interested in a worry-free kit for it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Z/28 is not going to be shown at Detroit... fbodfather already said it not going to be there... Road and Track has as much information as this site does or less.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Unknown SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
No worries.

What I found interesting though, is that even with the Turbonetics kit, the turbos are located behind the cats, so they would kindof be exposed to potential hazards like water, snow, even bumps. At least with their kit though, the air filter is still under the hood.

Yeah, this seems a bit worrisome.

The idea of a Turbo V6 Camaro does have it's own sort of appeal though. Even if it isn't as powerful as a Z28, from a tuner perspective at least it does seem really cool!

I think a Turbo V6 would be it's own kind of fun. Which is why I'm interested in a worry-free kit for it.

having the turbos behind the cats wont hindr anything..... there are TONS of cars out there with turbos behind the cats and have NO problems with them... even in NY weather... snow, rain...etc. so i dont think the camaro will have issues with it.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
ZNOLMT

Quote:
having the turbos behind the cats wont hindr anything..... there are TONS of cars out there with turbos behind the cats and have NO problems with them... even in NY weather... snow, rain...etc. so i dont think the camaro will have issues with it.
That's good to know .. I believe Gretchen is getting a kit like this done.

Maybe this is the better way to go then.

Still not sure about having the air filter back there though like on the STS kit.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
unrestrictedmotorsports

Drives: 2011 Comp 6 Turbo
You mentioned that you were concerned about the air filter getting wet. Well its placed high up behind the wheel liner that you should not have any water issues with the filter. I dont feel that the turbos will have an issues with salt or weather since the turbos are a casted part and should not rust. The best way to find out how they would recieve the weather would be to check your car after driving in the snow or rain and check under the car and see where all the water and snow goes. They should help you see how much it gets wet.
unrestrictedmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
ZNOLMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrestrictedmotorsports View Post
You mentioned that you were concerned about the air filter getting wet. Well its placed high up behind the wheel liner that you should not have any water issues with the filter. I dont feel that the turbos will have an issues with salt or weather since the turbos are a casted part and should not rust. The best way to find out how they would recieve the weather would be to check your car after driving in the snow or rain and check under the car and see where all the water and snow goes. They should help you see how much it gets wet.
Thanks for this response!

Good to know the turbos should be safe, I've been seeing more and more kits that mount them under the car lately.

I was curious about the positioning of the air filter. If it's high enough, or has some kind of splash shield I guess it could be pretty safe.

I'll asses how wet/dry the underside of the car is next time we do any heavy rain or snow driving.