Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Kscott46

Drives: 2010 Black SS2, RS, MT
Newbie needs help! exhaust question..

First and foremost I gotta say this site is AWESOME, this is my first post so take it easy on me guys. I finally bought my dream car, which is 2010 SS 2, RS, with a MT. I'm looking to do some easy bolt on performances. After looking and listening to all the you tube videos I have narrowed it down. I'm thinking of getting SLP Loudmouth II Axle back exhaust. It mentions something about an adapter for the stock exhaust? Question is, what are the gains? Is it worth it? If not I'm thinking of Borla full cat system S type.. Any opinions? I'm also thinking of a Roto-Fab intake.. Thanks again guys any opinions will help!
Kscott46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hi and welcome.

You will see only modest gains with an axle back or catback on an LS3.
if you had an L99 Automatic you would most likely see some gains from just a catback because it comes with two extra resonators and different (more restrictive) mufflers.

Your decision on which axle back or catback to get should be based on sound. How aggressive or tame do you want your exhaust?

Intakes are making around 10 - 15 rwhp or so. You could possibly see 20rwhp with a full catback exhaust and intake, but I wouldn't expect any more than that.

The real HP is found with long tube headers. Most guys are seeing
20-30 rwhp from long tube headers and high flow cats. ARH and Kooks are very popular long tube headers.

A combination of long tube headers, high flow cats, and intake can give you around 40 rwhp (that's really you best combination for making HP).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Kscott46

Thanks SGO, you answered all my questions, Im not looking to drag race make a monster out of my camaro. I just want it to sound like a SS 6.2 should! I'm gonna go ahead and go with SLP Loudmouth II, Any opinions on Roto-Fab intake? I know there is only a small amount of performance accessories out for the camaro, should I wait on the intake? Or do you suggest something else?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
SGOS252382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott46 View Post
Thanks SGO, you answered all my questions, Im not looking to drag race make a monster out of my camaro. I just want it to sound like a SS 6.2 should! I'm gonna go ahead and go with SLP Loudmouth II, Any opinions on Roto-Fab intake? I know there is only a small amount of performance accessories out for the camaro, should I wait on the intake? Or do you suggest something else?

A lot of guys are waiting on the intake dyno test results. Most of the intakes available are going to be tested. My guess is that most of them will make pretty similar HP.
We're waiting on the OTR intake (over the radiator style intakes) to get in on the test. They claim to make the most HP, but the key word is "claim." Hopefully they will get in on the testing.
Here's the thread I'm talking about.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43722

I think you'd be happy with the Roto-Fab intake or any of the other intakes available. They should all make very similar HP numbers (10-15hp) or so.
I also think you'd be happy with the Borla or the SLP Loudmouth 2.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Exhaust options

Quote:
First and foremost I gotta say this site is AWESOME, this is my first post so take it easy on me guys. I finally bought my dream car, which is 2010 SS 2, RS, with a MT. I'm looking to do some easy bolt on performances. After looking and listening to all the you tube videos I have narrowed it down. I'm thinking of getting SLP Loudmouth II Axle back exhaust. It mentions something about an adapter for the stock exhaust? Question is, what are the gains? Is it worth it? If not I'm thinking of Borla full cat system S type.. Any opinions? I'm also thinking of a Roto-Fab intake.. Thanks again guys any opinions will help!
The exhaust note is really about what sounds good to you. If you let the "numbers" sway your choice you may end up with a sound you're not looking for. There will always be someone faster, go with what sounds good to you if you don't plan on being king of the strip. If that extra once of power floats your boat then pay attention to those dyno charts. I think that for the majority of us, personalizing our rides to our tastes is what it's all about.

As far as the Roto-Fab goes, I haven't heard a negitive word from anyone. I will be getting one myself, but then again I'm getting the Vararam too. After all this is MY toy so I get to play with it as I please. Does that help any?
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
ToddSS
ZZ Motorsports Sales Rep

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Roto-Fab makes a great intake for the Camaro. It performs well and looks great.

www.ZZmotorsports.com carries Borla, SLP and Roto-fab.
ToddSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Kscott46

Thanks guys for the help and opinions. Your absolutely right this is MY TOY and I should make it sound the way I want, Ive seen the Varam intake and it does look awesome, the Hall tech looks great but way too expensive. I might wait. So SLP LM II it is, thanks guys!!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
dreammy
Banned

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM RS
I think you will love it!

Quote:
Thanks guys for the help and opinions. Your absolutely right this is MY TOY and I should make it sound the way I want, Ive seen the Varam intake and it does look awesome, the Hall tech looks great but way too expensive. I might wait. So SLP LM II it is, thanks guys!!
vids please if you do it
dreammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
arfrc5

I was looking at ARH long tube headers. Do those go well with the stock exhaust back or should I get an axle back exhaust? Would those effect the sound too if I kept the rest of the exhaust past the headers stock?
arfrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
SLP LM II will give you the exhaust note you're looking for. This is what the Camaro should sould like! You'll love it!
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I just installed the Roto-Fab CAI and it's great! I also have the SLP Loudmouth II axle backs and they sound great! Can't go wrong with this combo. A word of caution though regarding longtube headers, be prepared to do a tune because it will cause engine codes to come up due to changing the cats. This then becaomes a warranty issue cause GM can detect tunes done to the ECM even if put back to stock! Hope this helps! Enjoy your new ride and welcome!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
formaxboxers

Drives: Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS/RS
I have Solo Mach X ordered for my camaro, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42318 check them out I think you might like these better than the LM II's, can't wait to get my car to put these on.

Got screwed by original dealer in Eufuala, Oklahoma on November 3, 2009.
Found new one at Paddock Chevrolet and drove 2400 miles roundtrip to pick her up in Buffalo, New York on Nov. 5, 2009.
formaxboxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
Kscott46

Ordering the SLP LM II tonight! As soon as it's on I will be sure to post vids and pics! Is there a site that you guys recommend I order from?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
We have them on sale, check out our site www.neweraperformanceparts.com
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote