Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Good question. From the video and pics you should see that there's very little that protrudes beyond the adapter (relative to the depth of the speaker). You can also see the opening depth. The window at full roll down is still pretty high above the bottom of the door and not near the speakers. The only thing I can guess is possibly in case of water dripping from the window opening. With so little exposed, maybe it's engineered like that to keep it from dripping.

Hmmm... If someone used those Scosche's, I suggest putting them in, close the windows and then wash your car. Pull the speakers and check for water. Even if you do have water, just go get some inserts that go around your speaker and seal moisture out. They're made of closed-cell foam and you can squash them by hand.

Again, I'm 100% guessing. I know on Hondas and older GMs that come to my mind, the speaker adapters had downward facing openings. So anything dripping from above wouldn't make it's way towards the speaker assembly.

Another reason I'm speculating this is that I had washed my car (the '10 Camaro) before one of my door speaker installation sessions and there was moisture on the outside of the moisture barrier in the door.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Good info, thanks for posting this. It will really help me out tomorrow when I do my install.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
JohnnyComeLately

Let me know how it goes and if I should add anything to the video.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
How did you attach the crossovers inside of the door cover? I couldn't really tell how they were attached but I'm assuming you just didn't lay them there.

What wire did you use to connect to the corssover? Just the one that was attached to the factory 6.5" speaker in the door? Did you do anything with the wire that ran up to the factory tweeter?
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #19
JohnnyComeLately

Yeah, I am a bit ashamed to say I did just lay it in there. The insulation and its connection to the door panel were (are so far) strong enough to keep it in place. I also have not had any rattles. If I were to re-do it in the future for any reason (e.g. I see the insulation starting to give, I hear rattles, etc), the way I would attach it is industrial velcro. I've held 10 pound electronics in place inside electrical panels, garage door opener on my sportbike, and a ton of other stuff that is rock solid with that stuff. You can go to Home Depot and get it in the hardware department. The panel is flat, so I'd probably stick a 3" wide, but 4" long piece on the door, and then on the bottom, obviously, of the crossover.

I just left the factory wire for the tweeter in place. It seemed to be just fine and not too practical to remove. I attached it to the other wiring nearby to reduce any liklihood of hearing it rattle, or having it possibly migrate to an undesired location. I used a wire tie to secure it.

The wiring itself, I snipped the wire coming into the mid-driver, soldered some 16/2 wire onto it. Ran that over to the crossover. Then, ran 16/2 back through the door (using the channel already there on the inside of the door panel) up to the tweeter pod. The other 16/2 runs back into the door (taped to the input 16/2) for connection to the Hertz mid-driver.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Agent WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
Yeah, I am a bit ashamed to say I did just lay it in there. The insulation and its connection to the door panel were (are so far) strong enough to keep it in place. I also have not had any rattles. If I were to re-do it in the future for any reason (e.g. I see the insulation starting to give, I hear rattles, etc), the way I would attach it is industrial velcro. I've held 10 pound electronics in place inside electrical panels, garage door opener on my sportbike, and a ton of other stuff that is rock solid with that stuff. You can go to Home Depot and get it in the hardware department. The panel is flat, so I'd probably stick a 3" wide, but 4" long piece on the door, and then on the bottom, obviously, of the crossover.

I just left the factory wire for the tweeter in place. It seemed to be just fine and not too practical to remove. I attached it to the other wiring nearby to reduce any liklihood of hearing it rattle, or having it possibly migrate to an undesired location. I used a wire tie to secure it.

The wiring itself, I snipped the wire coming into the mid-driver, soldered some 16/2 wire onto it. Ran that over to the crossover. Then, ran 16/2 back through the door (using the channel already there on the inside of the door panel) up to the tweeter pod. The other 16/2 runs back into the door (taped to the input 16/2) for connection to the Hertz mid-driver.
Thanks for the tip on the Industrial Velcro. I grabbed some at Home Depot and it definitely did the trick. Thanks for the tip on how to mount the tweeters in the stock tweeter pod. That also worked out very well!
Corsa Exhaust
Old 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Looked on ebay. I found them from Singapore and Maylasia for anywhere between $80 to $180. Is there something I'm missing? You said you paid $300? Was that for all of them or just two?
I too am curious. Does anyone know if they are real or not?
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Agent WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I too am curious. Does anyone know if they are real or not?
It seems too good to be true, so it probably is. The speakers are made in Italy which isn't the cheapest cost country to produce in. The dollar to euro conversion isn't that skewed right now so it isn't likely some currency advantage driving those prices either. It probably is some sort of knock off speaker or somebody is taking a loss on them.
Corsa Exhaust
Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
jeepguy_1980

They're fake

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-bulgaria.html

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...-165-tweeters/

I've read several forums discussing these. The boxes even have typos on them.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yeah....I wouldn't buy anything from singapore...maylasia....yadda yadda.

Support your good old USA dealers, get a speaker you KNOW is good for the dollar you spend, know you are giong to get a warranty that your shop will uphold, and you won't have to worry about getting the cheapy knock off crap that's probably going to break in 6 months. Looking for the cheapest solution, i found that. Nope...after a few thinking it over, notgonnahappen.com
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yeah....I wouldn't buy anything from singapore...maylasia....yadda yadda.

Support your good old USA dealers, get a speaker you KNOW is good for the dollar you spend, know you are giong to get a warranty that your shop will uphold, and you won't have to worry about getting the cheapy knock off crap that's probably going to break in 6 months. Looking for the cheapest solution, i found that. Nope...after a few thinking it over, notgonnahappen.com
I move frequently, and prefer online retailers for warranty purposes. Though, I believe that most electronics will last for the long run, if they make it past their first 90 days.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #26
JohnnyComeLately

I did contact one of the buyers via E-bay. I don't recall any longer if it was for Hertz or Focal speakers, but in either case, these were speakers from Malaysia bought by someone in the US. He said it took quite some time, and there, "were problems with the speakers which they're working out." He summarized it by saying, "I wouldn't buy speakers from Malaysia again."

So, you might get some blemished speakers, or something suitable to your needs, but you'll be at risk of also not getting what you want/expect, and/or issues.

Finding a good, highend stereo shop is incredibly harder than it was just 10-15 years ago. Honestly, without them, you won't know what you don't know, because you have to hear speakers to judge them. Reading reviews is a roll of the dice because you don't know the reviewers tastes relative to yours. It'd be like marrying a chick you never met because some guy in a magazine said, "She's a real nice lady." She might be super annoying to you and destroy your will to live. OK, I'm stretching on that one, but you get the idea.

I'm one of the first to buy stuff online (just bought an iPad2 via military exchange for example), but in this case, I'd say buy local. Also, shop around. Some shops will give great service (like the one who let me sit in their store for hours), and some...not so great. Then, buy from the great one(s).
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Well, for anyone here in San Antonio that needs some pointers on who to go to for installs, etc, shoot me a pm. They are getting ready to do some work for me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
I did a whole Hertz, Audison install in my car. I have the Hertz MLK165s in the stock locations up front with an Audison Bitone and an Audison LRx5.1k (1500watt amp) driving the tweets,mids,and sub(JL 10w6) on all separate channels.The amp rack is motorized and slides out from under the rear deck(kinda cool). With the Bitone I can really tweak the sound and have four different settings saved. Needless to say,THE SOUND IS AMAZING !!!!!
Some day I will have pics of the install posted........If I ever get home!!!
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]

Last edited by third1; 12-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, hertz component, install, installation, speaker