Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Warm/Hot Blowing AC?

How long does it take before the free-on in a 2011 Camaro runs out? I got mine in 2013. I got in a wreck a month ago and if got my car back this week and my AC was blowing nice and cold as usual. But today I went through a car wash and heard a weird noise towards the end of it and my AC hasn't blown cold since. But I've always heard the noise in that car wash before. So I was either thinking that something happened in the carwash, or that was the normal noise I heard from the carwash and ironically my free-on ran out? Not sure what to do or think.

Last edited by SSNYSTR; 10-05-2014 at 11:30 PM.
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
If the system isn't damaged it should last years...just charged my truck after 10 years. Sounds like you had some system damage...or they refilled it without the lubricant in the refrigerant and your compressor shelled itself out.

Air conditioning isn't really do it yourself friendly unless you can check the compressor and integrity of the system for leaks before putting refrigerant in it....gets expensive quickly and you'll pay for more than just having a pro check it.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Probably have a hole in the condenser, and the Freon leaked out.
Bring it to a pro and have it tested.
Unless your like me and are willing to go out and buy a gauge set and vacuum pump.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Are you sure the belt didn't break.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Let your insurance company know about the AC issue, most likely was damaged in the wreck if it was front end damage they should cover it, it just wasn't noticed. Same thing happened to me in another car and found out later the AC suffered some damage from the wreck and it was covered by insurance
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewylew View Post
Are you sure the belt didn't break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog3071 View Post
Let your insurance company know about the AC issue, most likely was damaged in the wreck if it was front end damage they should cover it, it just wasn't noticed. Same thing happened to me in another car and found out later the AC suffered some damage from the wreck and it was covered by insurance
I must have spoke too soon. Once I had gotten home, my car sat for a couple hours before I started it up and went somewhere again, and my AC seemed to be blowing cold as it normally does. Not sure what would have been the cause of my AC blowing hot for some time.
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
lewylew

Drives: 2010 ZL550& 2021 C8 Z51
Glad it is working for you. My car has had some mystery issues in the past that just go away.