Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-14-2017, 02:12 AM   #1
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Active Chiller Install/Review Build on TVS2300 Maggie

I decided that i would try my best to take as many pictures during the install and give my review from the beginning of purchasing it; to the end of the installation as well as what could've been done better or easier. By all means this thread is not to bash or trash down on somebodys product. I didnt buy this in hopes that it wouldn't work and go through this hassle for not to work. Its just that Iv been searching on the forum for detailed/better instructions on the install and I really couldnt find any. Hopefully this could help some other members if they decide to get on. Iv just seen mostly pictures and thats what ill be going off of. I purchased the 19''Competition Xtreme Chiller with the Heat-exchanger bypassed from Dave and recieved last week. The bracklet was missing from the kit, so just waiting it to come in to begin. It might be awhile since i start on the install since im on nights again, but hopefully i can begin soon. Here are a few pics of the pieces.

P.S. If you have any photos or advice on installing an Active Chiller, please pm or attach them to this thread. i would gretly appreciate it.
Attached Images

SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- RDS NX Plate- 75 Shot- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- NW102- 3.8 Pulley- OD Cog drive-12lbs boost-FIC 80# injectors-ZL1 Fuel Pump- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Weld RTS drag pack- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs-BMR Lower Control Arms- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Sub'ing!
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Watching this thread with great curiosity.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
lincoln361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Nice! While I don't have many pics, I have installed two of Dave's chillers. I installed one of his early prototypes on my own car (12" core, non-competition mode), and I just finished an Extreme Chiller install w/competition mode on my buddies 2015 Kenne Bell blown 2015 Camaro. The biggest complaint that I have is the lack of detailed instructions. When I bought my kit, the instructions were in the form of a Word document, 1 paragraph long, with NO pictures.

Figuring out the hose routing for the bypass valve was probably the hardest thing for me, as I am a visual-type person. In any case, I have attached a file that I made, that shows the proper routing of the fluid hoses and the bypass valve.

Once you go to install the chiller core, make sure you pour about 2 oz. of R-134a refrigerant oil (PAG oil?) into it before you attach the a/c lines.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions,
Scott
Yeah i got the same details as far as the instructions goes. He told me over the phone, that from the resevoir it should be routed to the supercharger inlet, not from the chiller. I sent him the diagram to let me know the proper way but i still have not heard from him yet.

Question: How do i pour 2 oz of refrigerant into the core if it is upside down once i mount? the outlet lines woud be facing down. Or are you talking about once i have the lines connected and pour the refrigerant down the steel tubing by the brake resevoir?
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- RDS NX Plate- 75 Shot- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- NW102- 3.8 Pulley- OD Cog drive-12lbs boost-FIC 80# injectors-ZL1 Fuel Pump- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Weld RTS drag pack- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs-BMR Lower Control Arms- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
93TAWicked1

Drives: Camaro
Love to hear how this goes. Pretty sure this or alky control meth is my next mod!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Like I said, mine was not the competition model, so my Active Chiller was only active when the a/c was on, the rest of the time it was using the heat exchanger, which is why my hose diagram is the way it is.

Are you sure the core is going to be upside down when you mount it? The last one I did, the core was mounted right side up, the bracket was attached to the bottom of the metal bumper.

In any case, however you do it, you just need to add about 2oz. of oil to the system.

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Dang I truly tip my hat to you DIY guys

Reading your threads helps me understand why shop fees are so high.

Good luck on the install and let us know how effective it is once installed!
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
lincoln361

Quote:
Like I said, mine was not the competition model, so my Active Chiller was only active when the a/c was on, the rest of the time it was using the heat exchanger, which is why my hose diagram is the way it is.

Are you sure the core is going to be upside down when you mount it? The last one I did, the core was mounted right side up, the bracket was attached to the bottom of the metal bumper.

In any case, however you do it, you just need to add about 2oz. of oil to the system.

-Scott
Email sent
Old 10-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
hou30guy

Drives: 2011 convertible 2ss/rs
Price and where can i buy
hou30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou30guy View Post

HERE

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:07 AM   #11
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hou30guy View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196968

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479889

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304460

FACEBOOK

Email Orders and Inquires
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:25 AM   #12
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Nice! While I don't have many pics, I have installed two of Dave's chillers. I installed one of his early prototypes on my own car (12" core, non-competition mode), and I just finished an Extreme Chiller install w/competition mode on my buddies 2015 Kenne Bell blown 2015 Camaro.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions,
Scott
Do you have a copy of the Kenne Bell Camaro Instructions? We lost a lot of info in Hurricane Irma.

Your Chiller is Vertical so your diagram does not apply to a Horizontal Chiller. Before you distribute that you should note for Vertical Camaro SS only and include the Freon flow on diagram. You also have the coolant going in the Chiller Freon inlet and out the coolant outlet that would be a big problem if anyone were to follow that diagram. That kit is still available but only for Camaro SS with a Maggie H/E it will not fit the Whipple, E force, KB or ZL1 H/E,

All of our kits now follow opposing flow through core.

19” Xtreme Chiller Results.

Last edited by TrekGTO; 10-18-2017 at 06:41 AM.
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
lincoln361

Update: I have gotten the chiller installed and i took plently of pics. Its going to take me a while to upload and do a write up of everything. i also got to finish wrapping the rest of the ac lines and fittings which requires me to take off the bumper again. No biggie though, took me 30 minutes if that to take it off. FYI- Chiller works great
Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
What kind of IAT reduction are you seeing over ambient temp? Or after a 1/4 pull before and after?
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote