Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Just drove a VRE Turbo Camaro!! WOW!!!

I had the pleasure of having a day all to myself with a 2010 camaro sporting the VRE Turbo kit. I have to say, humbly, I'm really impressed the way the car performed. (A friend just got his kit in and wanted me to test it....)

To start, the car was only pushing about 5psi, which is about 3-4 short of what some would like it on pump gas. You can always leave it at 7psi but these motors, with the right tune, can handle the 9psi spring.

When starting the car, you already know this car means business. The stock exhaust, which is utilized besides the cat-area that is removed for the turbo plumbing, was also modified with some resonators.... the car was just wicked sounding!!!!

As for just cruising around town, the car drives like stock. The tune is spot on in the lower ranges where you don't have any hiccups however, you can tell she is pushing more power WITHOUT boost... the throttle is definitely snappier. (My brother has a 2SS camaro)

When you get into boost, well, this car just RUSHES forward.. HARD. The snap to your seat effect is full on. One thing that I'm used to in my C6 Z06 is that the rev limiter (7000rpms) comes on really quick in the lower gears and this car did the same... the power just rips through the gears and you really have to keep an eye on the tach. Brake boost the thing in 2nd at 40mph and hold on when you hit it, the car just tramlines straight really fast. I would say, that maybe until the c6 Z06 gets to stretch her legs out to 160mph, that this car, at only 5psi, would hang with the car to maybe in the lower 100mph range. After that, the z06, at this power level, just yanks really hard up top! But, again, this VRE camaro would surprise the hell out of me if we lined it up and it hung with me like that!!!

Besides that, the quality in parts for the MONEY your investing is just top notch. The stainless steel work like the bends, welds, turbo placing, even the top of the line turbonetic T76 turbo (BIG POWER POTENTIAL RIGHT THERE!! 800rwhp++ with NO NITROUS) wastegate and BOV is just a nice touch. From the driver seat, you can hear that turbo spool up and then whooosh when you let off the throttle.

Honestly, I had more fun driving that car around than I have had in the C6 Z06 in a while.... the attention it gets is just unreal and when folks here that whooosh.... forget it!

I would say, that the best part, IMO, is the money your saving with this kit versus the parts you are getting. I have looked at all of the kits on here and for the money, the VRE kit is probably the best value right now. It comes with the tune, fuel upgrades, the upgraded turbo parts, nice intercooler and something you can install infront of your house with a few jack stands, some buddies, beer & pizza and a probably pisst wife!!! My kind of day!!!!!!

I know they're a few kits out already and the so are other FI platforms like the whipple, centrifugals, tvs..... all of these, including a turbo kit, have their strength and weaknesses. Personally, I like the customizability of the turbo where you can dial in your peak boost through an AR swap, dial in a boost level for cruise mode or hell mode, the sweet turbo sound, and the obvious power potentiality you have with a turbo. That T76 will more than enough power to get this thing deep into 10's, hell, I would wager a mid 9 sec run with stock weight is not out of the question with some practice and some other drag goodies. So, with the VRE T76 kit, you don't really have to swap out the turbo and or other parts... unless your getting up there with boost and maybe your WG is acting up. (not likely but not unheard of) You can through a chunky shortblock at this kit and you don't have to really worry about upgrading the components.... the T76 is more than enough to handle just about anything.

So, if you are on the fence about which turbo kit to run, I would really suggest you look into the VRE kit. Honestly, for the money, there isn't a kit out there that can touch it, quality of parts and/or how complete the package is. Add the easy of installation and you got yourself a real DYI that will bring smiles to your face, (like it did to me today) everytime you hear that BOV!!!!

LaterZ!

PS: I miss the Camaro already!! :(
obzidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Nice writeup. VRE (Victory Racing Engine) has done a nice job!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Video? Pictures? Cmon guy!!
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
obzidian

Sorry, I forgot the D90 at home so no pics of the car.

However, exterior wise, the car looks just like any other SS on here... except when you pop the hood. I believe VRE has a few threads and pics with their kit on the car. Honestly, I spent the whole day either behind the wheel, brake boost the damn thing or lifting the hood and checking out that sweet T76! It just looks so right. Either you mount the turbo under the car or where the air box used to go, there isn't just anywhere else to mount a turbo in this car.. however, I'm not complaining, it looked great!

He will be back with the car soon as he is going to photoshoot.... next time it's down here, I'll promise to snap some more pics.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
VictoryRacingEngines

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via AIM to VictoryRacingEngines Send a message via MSN to VictoryRacingEngines Send a message via Yahoo to VictoryRacingEngines
Nice write up.

Thanks,
Eric
VictoryRacingEngines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
I had the pleasure of having a day all to myself with a 2010 camaro sporting the VRE Turbo kit. I have to say, humbly, I'm really impressed the way the car performed. (A friend just got his kit in and wanted me to test it....)

To start, the car was only pushing about 5psi, which is about 3-4 short of what some would like it on pump gas. You can always leave it at 7psi but these motors, with the right tune, can handle the 9psi spring.

When starting the car, you already know this car means business. The stock exhaust, which is utilized besides the cat-area that is removed for the turbo plumbing, was also modified with some resonators.... the car was just wicked sounding!!!!

As for just cruising around town, the car drives like stock. The tune is spot on in the lower ranges where you don't have any hiccups however, you can tell she is pushing more power WITHOUT boost... the throttle is definitely snappier. (My brother has a 2SS camaro)

When you get into boost, well, this car just RUSHES forward.. HARD. The snap to your seat effect is full on. One thing that I'm used to in my C6 Z06 is that the rev limiter (7000rpms) comes on really quick in the lower gears and this car did the same... the power just rips through the gears and you really have to keep an eye on the tach. Brake boost the thing in 2nd at 40mph and hold on when you hit it, the car just tramlines straight really fast. I would say, that maybe until the c6 Z06 gets to stretch her legs out to 160mph, that this car, at only 5psi, would hang with the car to maybe in the lower 100mph range. After that, the z06, at this power level, just yanks really hard up top! But, again, this VRE camaro would surprise the hell out of me if we lined it up and it hung with me like that!!!

Besides that, the quality in parts for the MONEY your investing is just top notch. The stainless steel work like the bends, welds, turbo placing, even the top of the line turbonetic T76 turbo (BIG POWER POTENTIAL RIGHT THERE!! 800rwhp++ with NO NITROUS) wastegate and BOV is just a nice touch. From the driver seat, you can hear that turbo spool up and then whooosh when you let off the throttle.

Honestly, I had more fun driving that car around than I have had in the C6 Z06 in a while.... the attention it gets is just unreal and when folks here that whooosh.... forget it!

I would say, that the best part, IMO, is the money your saving with this kit versus the parts you are getting. I have looked at all of the kits on here and for the money, the VRE kit is probably the best value right now. It comes with the tune, fuel upgrades, the upgraded turbo parts, nice intercooler and something you can install infront of your house with a few jack stands, some buddies, beer & pizza and a probably pisst wife!!! My kind of day!!!!!!

I know they're a few kits out already and the so are other FI platforms like the whipple, centrifugals, tvs..... all of these, including a turbo kit, have their strength and weaknesses. Personally, I like the customizability of the turbo where you can dial in your peak boost through an AR swap, dial in a boost level for cruise mode or hell mode, the sweet turbo sound, and the obvious power potentiality you have with a turbo. That T76 will more than enough power to get this thing deep into 10's, hell, I would wager a mid 9 sec run with stock weight is not out of the question with some practice and some other drag goodies. So, with the VRE T76 kit, you don't really have to swap out the turbo and or other parts... unless your getting up there with boost and maybe your WG is acting up. (not likely but not unheard of) You can through a chunky shortblock at this kit and you don't have to really worry about upgrading the components.... the T76 is more than enough to handle just about anything.

So, if you are on the fence about which turbo kit to run, I would really suggest you look into the VRE kit. Honestly, for the money, there isn't a kit out there that can touch it, quality of parts and/or how complete the package is. Add the easy of installation and you got yourself a real DYI that will bring smiles to your face, (like it did to me today) everytime you hear that BOV!!!!

LaterZ!

PS: I miss the Camaro already!! :(
Who installed and tuned it in South Fla?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Who installed and tuned it in South Fla?
I was wondering this myself ????
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
obzidian

Oh, sorry!

The kit was installed at his house, he said it wasnt that bad and the instructions were straight forward.... Of course on a lift it would of been easier but can't just have a lift bolted down I front of your house, now can you!

I believe the tune was the one that comes with the kit.... I'll confirm.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
"For the money". You mentioned that several times. What does it cost? How much of a bargain is it?
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
obzidian

Well, looking over at another thread of theirs, they gave a few "stages" including different parts.

My buddy got the standard kit with fuel+tuning, so it was around 7300.00.

Now consider that the other forms of FI are within the same price range. Furthermore, I believe the fastlane kit is around $9k with a "garrett" turbo which I have concerns about. It has been a common corner to cut in order to lower your costs if you use a Chinese version, for example, of a turbo instead of the real deal. (ESP vs LTD) Tge point I'm making is that, "for the money", the components you're getting with this kit, IMO, are superior, are known parts from reputable companies and it's all for around the same/less price of other FI kits out there.

I cannot stress enough how important the little things are when considering something like this and the components used is vital to having a worry free turbo setup. I'm not, by any means, bashing on the other vendors here as this is truly not my intention. However, I feel, after going over a bunch of threads regarding the matter, that if I was going to go turbo, I would probably pick this kit.

"for the money", it's got the best bang for your buck! You won't be able to make the kind of rwhp with any other form of FI here with the stock blower/headunit/turbo that comes with a standard kit. Again, that turnonetucs T76 has tons of potential and at 7-9psi, it's really not even getting started!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
VictoryRacingEngines

Send a message via AIM to VictoryRacingEngines Send a message via MSN to VictoryRacingEngines Send a message via Yahoo to VictoryRacingEngines
Thank You.

We have worked very hard to make our kits easy to install as well as a value in the market place.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Victory Racing, ya'll need to hire this guy. He promotes your products very well.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
VictoryRacingEngines

Miami and Detroit are a little far apart to but someone on the payroll. I do appreciate the positive feedback about our kit, and look forward to more feed back in 2010.

Happy Holidays,
Eric
Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
CamBoy1120
17 Yr old Owner :D

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRacingEngines View Post
Miami and Detroit are a little far apart to but someone on the payroll. I do appreciate the positive feedback about our kit, and look forward to more feed back in 2010.

Happy Holidays,
Eric
Hey VRE...
You think u will have any of these for V6's later on..
CamBoy1120 is offline   Reply With Quote