Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Unhappy Help with my F/I options (CA issue)

Well, I've been trying to figure out all my options for my car for forced induction. I'm in Florida right now, so i can do whatever i want but in a few years i plan to move to San Diego, and CA has extreme limitations on car mods:(

Ideal: Hellion Twin turbo
backup: Edelbrock (supposedly 50 state legal soon)

Can I mod it in FL and someone get around the CA laws when i move there and register it?

Can i continue to register it in FL while i live in CA? (If i chose not to sell my house in FL, i'm not sure if owning a home here would help)

i've been trying to find info on what classifies your residency as-per home ownership/employment/time in state....and it seems each state is different

I'd prefer to do this 100% legally. but if i can still manage to do it in the gray area I'll probably be ok with that
Old 06-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

no ideas?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
You should check California's DMV website and post this in the California thread
Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
agree goto ca thread and see who is passing emissions.
TX said i could keep registering my car in tx if i wanted when i got out military till i moved back in like a couple of years
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Regardless of what you do, the car will have to pass a visual AND sniffer test to be registered here. They used to be very lenient on the time you had to register it but that has gone the way of the dodo.
Check this out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...r9.htm#feesdue

Also, to avoid the "out of state" tax they like to charge to keep folks from going out of state to buy and bring the car back in, you must have more than 7500 miles on it when you arrive...

You will fail the visual with LT's and any CAI currently. The Magnusson kits are 50 state legal now! Shorties are allowed if they carry the CARB EO#. I have Doug Thorleys which have a tag welded to them with the number...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Regardless of what you do, the car will have to pass a visual AND sniffer test to be registered here. They used to be very lenient on the time you had to register it but that has gone the way of the dodo.
Check this out:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...r9.htm#feesdue

Also, to avoid the "out of state" tax they like to charge to keep folks from going out of state to buy and bring the car back in, you must have more than 7500 miles on it when you arrive...

You will fail the visual with LT's and any CAI currently. The Magnusson kits are 50 state legal now! Shorties are allowed if they carry the CARB EO#. I have Doug Thorleys which have a tag welded to them with the number...

Great info'.

I don't know and haven't noticed any turbo kits going for CARB-certification. I believe STS had certification for the 4th Gen kit, but can't say for sure. The CARB website is crap, too, because I can only find numbers for parts up to something like 2006, or some crap. I could be looking at the wrong section, but I swear I tried to search. I think having a CARB number is easier than looking for one, on-line.

Anyways - having said that, I'd recommend looking at many of the SC kits either out there, or coming on-line now. Like the OP already said, Magnuson already has a CARB-number, but I know KB has posted that they're seeking exemption. Also, I have full confidence that Edelbrock will earn theirs. I'm sure Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger will seek exemtion (if they haven't already started), too.

If you know you're coming here, for any length of time, I'd recommend only going with something with CARB numbers. Many will say that you have several years before your first actual smog check, but that won't stop law enforcement from stopping you for a preliminary inspection before hand. I comment a lot on this subject because I've been there a few times, and have paid the price. It's not so much a legal pain, per se, however, tearing the car apart, and paying up to $250 is not nice either. What I paid in fines was almost what I paid for my LTs that I got the fines for - not a good investment...

If you plan on going FI, for sure, and decide to go with shorties, I think there are more than a couple people who'd be interested in seeing if there are better gains with them than what we've seen, through independent tests on NA cars. I'm not trying to go off topic, much; I'm just putting it out there if you want to stay legal, shorties with CARB numbers are the only way to go in CA (and, no - just because a shorty doesn't move the cats' doesn't mean it's legal. Always make sure it has, or has a pending CARB certification). The law is pretty black-and-white, so unless the officer who might pull you over is pretty cool, don't be suprised to get citations for any and all parts that don't have the CARB numbers. I can't stress that enough.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the direction you go
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Thanks for the info Radz

and i've read as much about the CA laws and registration as i can find. still just looking for a loophole if i can find one lol
Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
SSMINNOW

Drives: Hellion twin turbo 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Great info'.

I don't know and haven't noticed any turbo kits going for CARB-certification. I believe STS had certification for the 4th Gen kit, but can't say for sure. The CARB website is crap, too, because I can only find numbers for parts up to something like 2006, or some crap. I could be looking at the wrong section, but I swear I tried to search. I think having a CARB number is easier than looking for one, on-line.

Anyways - having said that, I'd recommend looking at many of the SC kits either out there, or coming on-line now. Like the OP already said, Magnuson already has a CARB-number, but I know KB has posted that they're seeking exemption. Also, I have full confidence that Edelbrock will earn theirs. I'm sure Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger will seek exemtion (if they haven't already started), too.

If you know you're coming here, for any length of time, I'd recommend only going with something with CARB numbers. Many will say that you have several years before your first actual smog check, but that won't stop law enforcement from stopping you for a preliminary inspection before hand. I comment a lot on this subject because I've been there a few times, and have paid the price. It's not so much a legal pain, per se, however, tearing the car apart, and paying up to $250 is not nice either. What I paid in fines was almost what I paid for my LTs that I got the fines for - not a good investment...

If you plan on going FI, for sure, and decide to go with shorties, I think there are more than a couple people who'd be interested in seeing if there are better gains with them than what we've seen, through independent tests on NA cars. I'm not trying to go off topic, much; I'm just putting it out there if you want to stay legal, shorties with CARB numbers are the only way to go in CA (and, no - just because a shorty doesn't move the cats' doesn't mean it's legal. Always make sure it has, or has a pending CARB certification). The law is pretty black-and-white, so unless the officer who might pull you over is pretty cool, don't be suprised to get citations for any and all parts that don't have the CARB numbers. I can't stress that enough.

Good luck, and keep us posted with the direction you go
Id keep that thing registered in FL. CA is crazy with their laws one way or another. I have an army buddy that was stationed there and he said the registration and emissions were ridiculous. Thank goodness for the great state of Michigan!

Just my 2 cents...
SSMINNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Thanks for the info Radz

and i've read as much about the CA laws and registration as i can find. still just looking for a loophole if i can find one lol
PLEASE - if you find that hole, let us know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMINNOW View Post
Id keep that thing registered in FL. CA is crazy with their laws one way or another. I have an army buddy that was stationed there and he said the registration and emissions were ridiculous. Thank goodness for the great state of Michigan!

Just my 2 cents...
If that works, that sounds like the best alternative.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
SSMINNOW

Drives: Hellion twin turbo 2010 Camaro SS
Ive been thinking......

I really think it comes down to this,

If you put a blower on, it may pass CA emissions but... the first time you get out ran.... you will be wishing you had it registered in fla. and had a turbo kit on it, hahahaha.

Good luck
SSMINNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Even if your car is registered out of state, you still have to get it smogged to get a base sticker. CARB has their hands into everything, it sucks.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
The CA laws are tough to get around. But if you have an out of state address, keep it registered out of state like a bunch of our other customers. As long as you are getting mail sent to the other address, you can play in the "grey area".

The laws are simple here too. If you move or delete a cat, it will NEVER pass. Plus the new Carbon Trap air box lid requirements means you will not get a turbo system to EVER pass in CA. The E-Force complies with all of these and IS CARB pending. The E-Force can easily get you to the breaking point of the stock bottom ends just like a turbo with simple exhaust and pulley changes, so the turbo (unless you are building the motor) usually is cost prohibitive.

PM me for the CARB pending E-Force systems or the Maggie. We sell and install them both here and even play in the turbo market from time to time on ohter Domestic V8 vehicles. We can help you keep the 50 states legal parts and let you know what can and cannot be done out here. And even bend the rules a bit without breaking them to stay smog compliant.
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Chewy,

dude, I went round and rond on this when I had my truck and was stationed in CA... Luckily my Home of record was AZ so I kept it registered there. Since I had AZ plates I didn't have to get mine smogged in CA....

But, I still routinely got pulled over and was asked to show the CARB certs for my mods...

I was warned all the time for my tint, which was legal in AZ but not legal in CA....

My point is, The cops don't care... They will write you a ticket and you have to figure out how to get the judge to side with you....

FWIW.

IMO it is easier if your car is registered out of state.

And the cops will question you whether your car is 50 state legal or not, and registered in CA or not....

You just have to change your driving style so you aren't advertising all the mods.....

One reason why the maggie is a good choice.... no blower whine.... Not sure if the eforece is as quiet. but I'm guessing it would work well also, if Stillen recommends it.

Good luck bro.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

thanks for the advice! i think i'll try to register my car in FL as long as possible. get my mods here while they're legal...

...and probably read this in a sober state...got some good stories tho lol

Tags
california, carb, edelbrock, emissions, twin turbo