Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

View Poll Results: Idea is:
Very Cool 2 11.76%
Cool but just not for me 7 41.18%
Bah, Just so-so 2 11.76%
Terrible 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Bistem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
New Twist on a custom sub box

I have put off building a custom box for the front 1/3 of my trunk for a while now mostly due to my other hobby. I originally built 2 seperate boxes so that the middle area could be open. The other hobby is target shooting and my benchrest rifle is right at 4 feet long and wont fit in the car without the back seat folded down.

Well, like any good ol boy redneck would do, I got to pondering and cyphering and came up with a new idea. This will incorporate my two JL 10's and the rifle along with a full width box that will eventually be made to fit the contours of the trunk. The back seat will still need to be folded down for the barrel to poke through, but this way I can have it look as decent as I want when I'm not going to the range. My plan for when it is finished is to have blue LED's lighting the 2 subs. Not ambient lighting blue....but dark blue, Which should go well with the white and blue stock on the rifle as well.

I will update the post until the project is finished.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
rallyrob

Drives: 2010 rally yellow camaro rs A6
that is stupid ther was someone who hide in ther trunk and shot people
rallyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Bistem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyrob View Post
that is stupid ther was someone who hide in ther trunk and shot people
Not quite sure I understand what that psyco from many years ago that you speak of has to do with this. The rifle will simply rest there till I get to the range. I would think it would be worse to put it across the rear floorboard which is within reach of the occupants. With this design, the rifle can not be pulled forward into the car. The front of the sub box prevents this.
No offense to you...after all, I did ask for opinions and you are entitled to yours. I just think that you may not fully understand why I am doing this.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
You really should use MDF for box building. Particle board will crumble, break-down, and fall apart within a matter of months. And if it even gets a little wet or moist, forget it. Game over.

If you're going to build a "pass-thru" hole, why not go a bit bigger so you're not limited to your rifle? You could simply sandwich a cardboard tube between the front and rear walls. Wrap the tube in linen, then paint it with epoxy or resin and the tube will be ultra strong. You can find cardboard tube 4" at an office supply store, and 6", 8" 10" at a home depot.

Good luck
USNSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
If you are a active target shooter like my self then you get the sub boxes that mount on the side of the trunk this way you save your trunk space and put the amps on the floor. And isn't that riffle suppose to be in a locked case.
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Great ideal, but it does kind of remind you of the DC Sniper's death car.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Bistem

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
If you are a active target shooter like my self then you get the sub boxes that mount on the side of the trunk this way you save your trunk space and put the amps on the floor. And isn't that riffle suppose to be in a locked case.
I'm not sure about your state laws but from checking with my law enforcement friends, all the law here requires is that the rifle be unloaded and not within immediate access of the vehicle's passengers. That is the main reason I made it so that the rifle can't be removed from inside the car. I would prefer to keep it in my case because the case is much more padded but the Pelican case is Very large.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
just mount a rifle rack on the back of the sub box..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Great ideal, but it does kind of remind you of the DC Sniper's death car.
Yep. First thing I thought of too.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Bistem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
just mount a rifle rack on the back of the sub box..
Trunk of our cars is not wide enough for a 4 foot rifle to go across the back of the box but thanks for thinking of the method that would have required much less work.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Would you be able to display this at shows? If u always carry your rifle in your car that could be cool. having a small 22 mounted on there might look cooler than having a hole in your box
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Bistem

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
Would you be able to display this at shows? If u always carry your rifle in your car that could be cool. having a small 22 mounted on there might look cooler than having a hole in your box
I do tend to do the cruise in's and such, but I wouldnt dare walk away from my car to look at other people's cars with this rifle in there. If I had a small .22 like you mention I would be a bit more at ease but not a chance in hell of leaving my 6 grand benchrest rifle in the car.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #13
iFast

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS and '01 Bullitt
Assault rifles fit in our trunks much better And relax... I'm not a gangster, I'm in the Army so no worries. I like to go to the range as well when I get a chance.
iFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
I would go with a 22 and hang it from there. i think that would be awesome to just have it there lol hopefully it wont shake off with the music... but good job on not leaving the car. That gun looks awesome! actually the coolest ive seen!