Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #29
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
deal
Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #30
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Hey Junkman,

First, thanks for the videos!!! Very honorable of you to share your talent and knowledge.

Do you happen to have any videos and knowledge that you are willing to share on the P.C. ??? I have used a rotary many times before but I have little experience with a pro grade R.O. The only thing that I have heard is that the basic technique is to work it as little as possible to get the job done.

Anyway, I have a few very light scratches from shipping that I think would come out great with a R.O. Anything you've got -- I am all ears.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked at that other thread that you linked to above. Looks like all my questions will be answered. Thank you very much again.

Last edited by FirstLSK; 01-14-2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Just found your other thread
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #31
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Junkman,.......Jesus. I mean, my god, you have to be a detailing god. You can sure clean the hell out of a car. You sure taught me, I was adding swirl mark to my "perfect paint" lol by wiping the car down in a circle. I don't have many at all, but the ones I do have I'll take car of them. I bought Alex's buffer/polishing kit. Very educational. I was up last night on youtube watching your videos until my eyed bleed. I really learned alot. KEep up the good work man. You're doing a good thing for Camaro owners. I suggest everyone on this forum to watch your videos.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #32
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
Junkman,.......Jesus. I mean, my god, you have to be a detailing god. You can sure clean the hell out of a car. You sure taught me, I was adding swirl mark to my "perfect paint" lol by wiping the car down in a circle. I don't have many at all, but the ones I do have I'll take car of them. I bought Alex's buffer/polishing kit. Very educational. I was up last night on youtube watching your videos until my eyed bleed. I really learned alot. KEep up the good work man. You're doing a good thing for Camaro owners. I suggest everyone on this forum to watch your videos.
Dude, you're making a black man blush over here!

In this business, the learning never stops. It's like the Limbaugh Institute, there are no graduates! I learn every time I touch this stuff because you can never know it all. You can always get better and the more cars you touch, the better you will get. One thing you will notice about the things I do and say is when you think about it, it's all common sense. You already knew this stuff, you just didn't realize it until I said something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked at that other thread that you linked to above. Looks like all my questions will be answered. Thank you very much again.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #33
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Dude, you're making a black man blush over here!

In this business, the learning never stops. It's like the Limbaugh Institute, there are no graduates! I learn every time I touch this stuff because you can never know it all. You can always get better and the more cars you touch, the better you will get. One thing you will notice about the things I do and say is when you think about it, it's all common sense. You already knew this stuff, you just didn't realize it until I said something.

lol. Man, that video about the PC it was hilarious yet educational; you need a damn collection.

"(Grabs the buffer....)With this little puppy right here, in order, to get paint off the car,...and do some damage, you would have to take it to the car,....(flips buffer upside down) and go back and forth like this(cleaves.....)."

Junkman, I kid you not, I am so glad I came across your videos and how to's because I swear, I detail the hell out of my car. I'm into this stuff HARD. I clean my car about 3 times a day, everyday. If it's raining, that's the only time I don't clean it, cause well, it makes no sense it's already getting dirty. But when it stops,...I'm on my Camaro like white on rice. I'm very anal. When I wake up for work, I do a quick but through whip down of my car, and the wheels, when I get to work after like 4 hours I take my lunch, I goto the target garage next door and do another 45 minute "touch up",....then finally when I get home for the day, and know I'm not going anywhere else, I take my time and whip off all the dust and dirt from the travel.

It's sounds like a full time job,....but I do this everyday. I enjoy it! It's like since I got this new Camaro I take care of it like it's a child of my own. But once I get Alex's Polishing Kit with the PC in the mail, that's when I can take my detailing to the next level; your level. You are right, there are standards of acceptability that each of us have on how clean our car is, but mine is high. If I just detailed my car, cleaned it, and wiped it down, and travel down the street and I don't get at least a couple of people head turning or staring,.....the car doesn't shine enough! Nuff said......pull it back into the garage, start over and make it shine.

The products I've been using to start have been,....."Eagle One". I got they're entire lil' kit, and I must say, it works....for me. It does what it's suppose to for the most part. It supposedly uses "Nanowax, nano-technology, nanowash", all of which is suppose to "fill in" scratches and ect that are on your car by using nano-particles to penetrate deep within the finish that other detailers fail to do. Everyone tells me whatever I'm using, it works. But I can't order anymore, they're damn site is screwed up. So I'm trying Alex's stuff, sounds very similar and is sold very professionally.

I've been hand polishing my car,....and incorrectly at that and have still been getting compliments, mostly because the swirl marks are faint and only visible to me because I'm very particular, but once I get this machine buffing and polishing down, I'm sure it will look a hundred times better and give my Silver Ice Metallic that "wet" look I love. I have some swirl marks by my fog lights,....pretty visible to me, and my bumper has some rock chips, but it's invisible to the public, I'm hoping to cover up or REMOVE what scuffs and swirls that I can. And in between polishes I ordered 1 gallon of Alex's detailing spray,...to my amazement can be used on just about anything on the car. (Jaw dropper) Glass, doors, bird crap, you name it.

Ah Junkman, sorry for making this so long, but your like a teacher on demand, and I love learning about this stuff. So hey.....feed me. lol
You the man!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 AM   #34
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
lol. Man, that video about the PC it was hilarious yet educational; you need a damn collection.
Or a white jacket with no sleeves!

Clutch (I'm digging the name and the alternative under it ), we must be brothers from another mother because you and I are on the same page when it comes to keeping our rides clean! I'm glad we got you away from that Eagle 1 stuff because it is not in the same league as the professional stuff. I don't fill scratches, I remove them. Now we have got to get you to start doing the same thing. It is a learned art so understand that it takes time and practice. Once you figure it out however, you will wonder why you weren't doing it that way all along.

You said you bought some products from "Alex". Did you mean Adam's or someone named Alex? I've never heard of that line of products. Hopefully, we will meet up at Camaro5 Fest so that I can meet my alter ego. You want anal? I think we (you and I) got anal!

Thanks for the post!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #35
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Or a white jacket with no sleeves!

Clutch (I'm digging the name and the alternative under it ), we must be brothers from another mother because you and I are on the same page when it comes to keeping our rides clean! I'm glad we got you away from that Eagle 1 stuff because it is not in the same league as the professional stuff. I don't fill scratches, I remove them. Now we have got to get you to start doing the same thing. It is a learned art so understand that it takes time and practice. Once you figure it out however, you will wonder why you weren't doing it that way all along.

You said you bought some products from "Alex". Did you mean Adam's or someone named Alex? I've never heard of that line of products. Hopefully, we will meet up at Camaro5 Fest so that I can meet my alter ego. You want anal? I think we (you and I) got anal!

Thanks for the post!
lol. Serious dude! 3 times a day! People I tell about my cleaning routine tell me I have a compulsion problem haha. An obsession of some sort....ah but when it comes to my Camaro, I'd happily answer :yes,...yes. But the line of products I meant was ADAMS. That guy who is selling the polishing kit. Bought it all,...plus a gallon of detailing spray, and like 8 of his soft blue cloths lol. Man, I'd love to meet you, I never met someone so educated on detailing, you have to be the god-father. Junk man,.....I have a question for you.

As you probably know, I've admitted to having "rock chips" on my front bumper, I guess it was from "breaking the car in", but I'm wondering will that buffer sold by Adam help me cover up some of those? Or am I stuck to just getting the bumper replaced or repainted? I mean with enough power couldn't I make them "sort of" disappear from view? Well you can't see them now from a distance(GOOD), but I can see them when I'm getting up-close and intimate with my Camaro. What you think?

Another question,.....lets say I'm at work on my lunch break about to touch up my car,....let's say I have a little dust on the car, spray on some detailing spray and wipe off in one direction, or is it ok to spray on and wipe in a circular motion as long as there is no small rock particles within your microfiber towel?? I know you've said wiping in a circular motion can cause swirl makes because dirt/particles on your towel, but if it's a fresh microfiber towel, is it still forbidden at all cost?

I'm trying to keep'em coming,....

I have 20 inch polished aluminum wheels on my SS, if my rims where clean, as in, free of dirt and dust, would using the buffer on them at 6,000 oscillations take away some scratches them I've created by using a dirty microfiber towel? If so, what product of Adam's Polishes should I use on them?

That's all for now. Dude, I'm tired! I've been reading all nite. I'll save the rest of the vids for tomorrow! Thx a milli dude.....
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #36
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
...lets say I'm at work on my lunch break about to touch up my car,....let's say I have a little dust on the car, spray on some detailing spray and wipe off in one direction, or is it ok to spray on and wipe in a circular motion as long as there is no small rock particles within your microfiber towel.....
WATCH THE VIDS! Gotta knock the dust off first with Cali Duster.....(I know, because that was the step I was missing ) Junkman voluntarily destroyed his 01 Vette demonstrating this!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #37
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
WATCH THE VIDS! Gotta knock the dust off first with Cali Duster.....(I know, because that was the step I was missing ) Junkman voluntarily destroyed his 01 Vette demonstrating this!
Garcmol is right, you have to do it exactly as I did it in the videos in this thread. There is no other way around it. YOUR PAINT (and a lot of others) is the example of why you don't do it any other way. If you did it correctly, your paint would be swirl free right now.

Now, since you are as anal as I am about paint care, there is a phrase that we have got to get out of your vocabulary. There is no "cover up" in the Junkman's arsenal. We don't cover up anything, we repair or we repaint. The end, put it in stone. You can't keep painting your car because you'll end up living in the poor house so you have to learn methods of repairing things like rock chips.

The PC-7424 is going to do absolutely nothing to remove or cover up missing paint (as in paint chips). The only way to fix missing paint is add more paint! You can do this one of two ways. You can repaint the area professionally, or you can fix the area using touch-up paint (which is an art form unto itself). Luckily, there are tools in the business to assist you. None of them are quick repairs and the instructions for each product must be followed to the letter. If not, it will look like your 3-year old did the repair. This is one application that patience will either be your friend or worst enemy. I can't stress that enough.

With that said, you have 2 options. The Langka system or the Dr. Colorchip system. Of the two, the Dr. Colorchip system is probably the easiest to use but they both work. In order to fix a chip, you must replace the paint by building the paint up withing the chip. This means you may have to make multiple application in a given chip over a period of days, or even longer depending on how bad the chip is. You don't just gob paint into the chip because it will look like crap. You build the chip up gradually until it is even with the rest of the paint in that area. Like I said, it is an art form and if you just rush through, it will look worse than it does now. Either commit yourself to following the instructions or do not mess with the chips. I can not give you any better advice than that.

Now for your polished aluminum wheels. The products you will need are a Mother's Powerball, a drill and some Adam's Metal Polish. This stuff will take your wheels to a whole new bling factor and also remove the scratches you've created from using those cheap, dirty microfiber towels (bad Camaro owner, bad Camaro owner ). I plan to do a video on how to repair wheels in that shape. The question is when...

There it is my friend, no other way around it. Learn to do this stuff the right way and quit thinking of short cuts. Make momma proud!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 08-13-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #38
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
You say Dr.Colorchip is the easiest , but does the Langka provide a better finish?

Thanks Junkman
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #39
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
You say Dr.Colorchip is the easiest , but does the Langka provide a better finish?

Thanks Junkman
They are both going to provide the same result, they just go about it differently. You are not using enough paint to see a "finish" per say, just the blend of the chip with the surrounding area.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #40
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Cool, thanks
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Junkman, I watched all of your videos. Thank you! Fabulous. And as a side note, thanks for addressing people as "boy and girls." We aren't all guys who love our cars. Well done!

Are you planning on doing any videos about cleaning interiors or wheels?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #42
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Junkman, I watched all of your videos. Thank you! Fabulous. And as a side note, thanks for addressing people as "boy and girls." We aren't all guys who love our cars. Well done!

Are you planning on doing any videos about cleaning interiors or wheels?

I'm digging the screen name Emma! I bet you're "hell on wheels"!

My next videos will be on wheel polishing. I'll post it here as I know there are some very nice wheels on these Camaros.