Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Arrow [COTW 1/17/11]: "camroSS Stage III+ & Much More"... Davenport Motorsports

In March 2010 I ordered my new Camaro 2SS/RS A6. I picked up the car from my dealership on June 16, 2010.

Prior to picking up the car I had been in contact with Steve at Davenport Motorsports in Calgary Alberta, Canada and inquired about having headers, CAI and a custom tune done on the car when it arrived. Steve asked several questions of me and how I was planning to drive the car. He then explained several options and prices to me and I went ahead and made an appointment to have the work done.

I took the car to Davenport on July 5th 2010 and was introduced to Steve, he took me for a tour of the shop and introduced me to Namala, Shannon and Bryan. Again we had a discussion as to my expectations for the car before the work proceeded. They did a baseline dyno run and recorded stock RWHP and torque at 317.66 RWHP and 333.72 ft/lb. torque. After installing the headers, CAI and a custom tune the dyno results were 357.58 RWHP and 361.98 ft/lbs. of torque. The car had 600 miles on it at the time.

After returning home I took the car to the track just to see what it would do in the ¼ mile. I had never been to a track before, and I never missed another track weekend for the rest of the season. Despite wheel hopping, no traction and a very poor driver, the car ran consistently in the low to mid 13’s all season depending on weather. Needless to say I was in need of more horsepower, suspension, tires and numerous upgrades to keep it all together. Once again I contacted Davenport and from August until the end of November 2010 Steve, Namala and I tossed around many, many ideas and came up with a plan for the car to suit my needs with consideration given to my budget. We essentially set up a 2 stage project plan to put together the car that I want over the course of this winter and next.

I was also fortunate to receive GM Litho #176 signed by Mike Judge and Team Camaro from the Oshawa Ontario build plant.

In mid-October the car went to Outlaw Collision in Medicine Hat, Alberta for painting. The GFX, sunroof, striping and sharks fin were removed, the car was prepped and I had the trunk, roof, hood and GFX painted and reassembled. Two red pin stripes were added to complete the process. The car was then taken to Calgary and put into storage at Davenport Motorsports storage facility.

I researched everything from the parts and prices to proper installation and shop rates and have found Davenport to be very competitive with any of the other high end performance shops out there. My experience in working with them has been very good, they are honest and upfront when it comes to recommending upgrades and don’t hesitate to recommend not doing something if they don’t feel it’s a benefit even though that takes money out of their pocket. They are all professionals from the showroom counter right on through the shop. Like any trustworthy performance shop (Jannetty, LPE, SC2150, to mention but a few) the cost to do serious modifications is not cheap but you can expect, and receive, a superior product when completed. If you’re in Western Canada or the North Western U.S. these guys should be considered if and when you modify. I consider myself to be a friend of the company and definitely get treated as such. But I digress……

The guys at Davenport took my car into the shop on December 15th 2010 and began on the first stage of our 2 winter project. I’ve asked Namala from Davenport to take over from here and put up the pictures and details of the work being done this winter. Road tuning and final adjustments of course will have to wait until spring.

Hope you enjoy the thread. Please feel free to ask any questions about the build.

Best Regards: Bryan ( camroSS )

LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Look nice, the color is grate enjoy it, its one hell of a car.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Davenport

Drives: 2016 with, Magnuson Heartbeat, FF15
Thanks for the kind words Bryan!

When Bryan came by the shop, the first time, we were under the impression that he was very pleased with his Camaro, and just wanted a little more power. He'd discussed his initial mods with Steve and we went ahead and made the changes.

As all Camaro's do, his car responded really well to the Stainless works long tube header/Rotofab/custom tune combo.

A few weeks later he dropped by and we had our twin turbo Z06 parked outside.

Well Bryan asked if he could go for a ride. BIG MISTAKE!

See, going for a ride in that is taking a huge hit on the go fast crack pipe!

Well one full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear pull and our friend here was hooked!

He got out of the Z06, walked in the shop and said, "I need a supercharger!"

Bryan left that day a convert to the religion of horspower! (I'm certain a few on this forum share in his beliefs)

Well as our story continues you'll see that the supercharger wasn't enough for our new horsepower junkie.

His weekly 1/4 mile excursions continued and once a week our phone would ring with a "hey, maybe we should do this, and maybe we should do that".

Steve and I talked to Bryan about his goals and came up with a plan.

Bryan has asked me to continue on with this journal as I’ve been taking pictures and have better access to the car than him.

To be continued......
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Davenport

Here's the start.

Just getting it ready, white protective transportation film, then fender covers.

The old set up.

Intake, heads and front cover all removed. 6.2 ready and waiting for a big injection of power!

The old parts put aside out of the way so they won't get damaged.

Namala
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Bryan: That intake sucking noise you keep hearing is your wallet...not the car.

Beautiful car and it sounds like it is in great hands...subscribed!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Gorgeous paint job. I absolutely love the look.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Davenport

We're porting the lower manifold on the TVS 2300.

Here are a few photo's that show the difference.

Supercharger unit separated.

View of the ports before and after.

Close up.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

By porting the lower intake it now has the same rectangular shape as the heads, thus eliminating any flow restriction between the intake and heads. The benefit is less back pressure on the discharge side of the supercharger which allows it to produce the same volume of air to the cylinder with less boost and at a lower temperature.

Bryan
Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMROSS View Post
By porting the lower intake it now has the same rectangular shape as the heads, thus eliminating any flow restriction between the intake and heads. The benefit is less back pressure on the discharge side of the supercharger which allows it to produce the same volume of air to the cylinder with less boost and at a lower temperature.

Bryan
Cool, and this is only a question, does the increased port size slow down the intake velocity, or is it a wash...I can certainly see where the charge would be cooler, less resistance... But does this also equate to less pressure...

I'm starting a twin turbo build, and wanting to know everything I can...

Thanks and this is a beautiful car...I love the paint scheme...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Octaneman

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Cool, and this is only a question, does the increased port size slow down the intake velocity, or is it a wash...I can certainly see where the charge would be cooler, less resistance... But does this also equate to less pressure...

Hi, we saw the same boost levels as non ported intakes, in fact with the cnc heads, we also did not see a drop in boost level
Octaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octaneman View Post
Hi, we saw the same boost levels as non ported intakes, in fact with the cnc heads, we also did not see a drop in boost level
Thanks Octane, and again, I am not questioning you guys knowledge, just wanting to learn, where is the boost measured. I guess my curiosity stems from wondering why Magnuson would shape their ports like that knowing there are probably no ports on any heads that match it...I guess maybe that gives the shops more options. Your work certainly makes sense to the eye though, nice porting job...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Davenport

A few shot's of the LPE CNC'd LS3 Cylinder heads.

Brand new LS3 Castings, fully CNC'd, all ports hand sand rolled for final clean up, upgraded Ferrara dual valve springs, and titanium retainers.

I tried to take pictures of the ports but the camera wouldn't focus.

Namala
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

There would definetly be a velocity increase at the node where the air passes through the non ported intake into the ported head. The non ported intake would act as a choke or restrictor to the flow and would create a higher pressure upstream of the node. The flow is certainly more laminar and less turbulent after porting.

With regards to less pressure...If we agree that there is a temp drop (which we appear to) and volume (area of the chambers) of course is constant then;
(Pressure X Volume = Temperature) or P = T/V

Ex.1)
Temp @ 150F, T=150
Vol @ 3L (assumed), Vol=3

P=150/3
P=50

Ex.2)
Temp@ 140F, T=140
Vol @ 3L (assumed), Vol=3

P=140/3
P=46.6

These are hypothetical numbers but as you can see in the examples, buy reducing Temp, Pressure has to drop.

Last edited by LS7 427; 01-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
MaRoFreK

Drives: IOM 1SS w/factory Hurst
This is gonna be one wicked Machine.......subscribed~!!!!!

Sick paint job BTW!!
MaRoFreK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro 2ss/rs, camross, davenport, horsepower, super charger