Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #183
nachocheese

Drives: 1LT RS, SIM
Please somebody close this pointless thread!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:34 AM   #184
gameovergt
G@M30v3RgT

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT 5.0 DIB
no its not a muscle car. Only the late 60's early 70's BB cars with a few exceptions i.e. Boss 302 are muscle cars. By definition they are cars with no creature comforts only lotsa motor/torque.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #185
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Hate to break it to ya op but myself and any other owner of a 2010 camaro own a pony car like others have already said.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #186
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
Hey LOWDOWN

Originally Posted by chuckstacamaroand as updated by LOWDOWN (as you are NOT 100% Correct either)

To put it straight the Camaro, (even old school Camaro's) were not considered Muscle Cars by definition. They were Pony cars.

Most American car manufacturers in the 60's and 70's had both Muscle Cars and Pony Cars. Chevy had its Camaro, Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am, Ford Mustang, Mercury Cougar, Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger, and AMC Javelin/AMX.
AMX, '68-'70, were Sports cars, '71-'74 were Pony Cars. AMC DID have the "Machine" which certainly is a valid Muscle Car...(Yes and no argument here about the Machine)

However, a true Muscle car was an intermediate sized two door automobile with a full size car motor (Big Block). The 1964 GTO was the first true muscle car (well debatable with the 1957 Chyrsler 300, First Hemi for you Mopar guys,
or more properly the '62-'63 Max Wedges in Dodge/Plymouth intermediates (And yes, but the Max Wedge cars were not massed produced or available to the general public), as Pontiac took the 389 from the full sized Bonneville, with 3x2 Carbs, dual exhaust, 4 speed and installed it into the 64 Tempest/Lemans (intermediate car). Pontiac took everyone by surprise. Now it was catch up time for everyone else in late 64 and early 65.

Chevy in 1965 took the Corvette 396CID/375HP
(rated 425HP in the Vette) motor and put into the Chevelle and the Chevelle 396SS was born. Chevy (also in 1965), installed the Corvette 427/425HP (NOT available till '66 MY,) GM as with most car manufactures in the 60’s and 70’s, presented ringers (those are cars with factory raced tuned and prepped cars), to Motor Trend/Car and Driver/Road and Track for Car Testing.in a select few Chevelle SS's that were coded the Z11. (opps! my mistake the Z11 was the 427/425hp version of the famous 409 W-Head engine which were installed in the impalas. They also installed 409’s in very few 1965 Bel Air’s. Which is a highly sorted collectible today)Actually, Z11 was the LPO code for race-intended '63 Impalas-approx. 50 or so, with more built over-the-counter. Z16 was the '65 Malibu SS396 option with 396/375 rating...200-odd built. NO 427 Chevelles left GM assembly plants until '69, and then only as COPOs, which when protested by the "other" Divisions led to the '70 454/455 options throughout GM...(yes, correct again)

Oldsmobile in late
(spring-'64) 1964/early 1965 took its 400 (Actually 394CID) from the Dynamic 88 full size car line and installed it into the F-85 Cutlass calling it the 442 (442 = 4bbl, 4spdl, dual exhaust).

Buick in 1965 took the 400
(actually 401, thus technically violating GM's "400-max." rule) CID from the Buick Riviera and installed it in its Skylark (intermediate) and called it the Skylark GS (Grand [actually GRAN] Sport). Eventually GM upped the ante on all its model car lines with engines getting bigger and bigger and more powerful each year from 1965 through 1970 (396, 400, 425, 427,454 and 455CID engines depending on car manufactuer mnake and model). GM restricted all Divisions to 400 c.i., until '70 MY...Hurst Olds '68-'69 excepted, as they were NOT GM-assembled(WRONG! GM only restricted the 400 in, ”Mid-Sized” cars until 1970. The Chevelle, GTO, Gran Sport, and 442’s were INTERMEDIATE CARS. The Pontiac GTO came Standard with the 400 in 1967 and offered a 400 in the 1968 Firebird) Also the Olds 442 came standard with a 400 beginning in 1967 and the 400 was not limited only to the Hurst Olds)

The Dodge/Plymouth Muscle Cars were the (Charger, Fury, Super Bee, GTX, Road Runner and Belvedere with 383, 440 or 426 Hemi Power).
They really started it, in '62, with their Max Wedge program...the GTO was the first "volume" version, exceeding even Delorean/Wangers "predictions"...

So did Ford/Mercury (Fairlanes, Cyclones, Torinos with 427/428/429 to eventually 460 CID Big blocks).

And even the now defunct American Motors Corporation (AMC) had their Rebel Machine and Rambler from 1967 through 1970 with 390 and 401 CID Motors installed in their intermediate cars.

The Full sized cars in the 1960's through 1970 with factory modified big blocks were known as Super Cars.
"Super Cars" was a designation really first used to describe European exotics/hybrids, including the original Cobra. Yenko/Nickey/Motion and others "borrowed" the term...(Wrong again LOWDOWN, Super Cars was the moniker used on Full Sized American Cars that came with the Biggest and most powerful V8's available on Race Inspired Full Sized Cars in the 60's) ... Full sized cars were the Impala, Belaire, Caprice, Riviera, Wildcat, Electra 225, Polara, Fury, Catalina, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Maurader, LTD, Galaxie 500, Delta 88, and Toronado.

There were also mid-sized cars that were known neither as Pony Car or Muscle Car but they were quick and fast. Some of these were the 340/383 Dodge Dart/Demons and 340/383 Plymouth Swingers/Dusters, Chevy II's/Nova SS with 327/350 or 396 power, the Ford Falcons/Mercury Comets 289/302 and the AMC S/C Rambler 390.

The 60's and early 70's was the era for totally awesome American cars. I'm just glad to have been there when those classics were new, and was able to buy them as used cars when I got out of High school.

Now if you want to talk about the birth of the Modern Day Muscle car well that era would have begun in the mid 1980's, but that is another story for another time.

Don't know where you got your info from, but Wikipedia does not have always the correct Information, I grew up in the 60's Era, drove in a lot of the classics and saw /touched them when you could buy them new from the dealer. And I still have a lot of my old car magazines from when the CLASSICS were being featured and evaluated when they were new.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #187
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
The Wiki Gods have spoken-end of story!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muscle car is a term used to refer to a variety of high performance automobiles. At its most widely accepted the term refers to American 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars of the late 1960s and early 1970s equipped with large, powerful V8s and sold at an affordable price for street use and drag racing, formally and informally.

As such, they are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing.

Building on the American phenomenon and developing simultaneously in their own markets, muscle cars also emerged in their own fashions in Australia, South Africa, the UK and elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #188
chuckstacamaro

Wikipedia is an inaccurate source of knowledge...... Based on Wiki's definition the GTO, Chevelle, Torino, Road Runner and other INTERMDIATE SIZED CARS would not be considered Muscle Cars.

A MID SIZED CAR from the 60's (where the term MUSCLE CAR originated from), did not include the Chevy Nova, Ford Falcon, Plymouth Barracuda or other Mid Sized cars.

Check out books written by Paul Zazzarine and Chuck Roberts they are the true Automotive Enthusiast they have restored and researched many Muscle Cars, Pony Cars and Sports cars if they don't know what the true definition then nobody else will. Wikipedia only has Johnny Come Lately definitions when it comes to Muscle Cars.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #189
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
If it's a Automatic then it's a muscle car. The manual is not.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #190
esfkotaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6, Black with CGM
This whole argument is pretty ridiculous.

Camaro was always a Pony car, never a Muscle car. Regardless of that detail, who the f*** cares whether or not someone else considers it this or that? All that matters is that you like it, because you're the one who you bought it for. The advancement of technology, which is very notable in the LLT, has made the need for a V8 to make "V8-Power" all but vanish. Granted, the V8 sound is probably what's most memorable about those classic Muscle cars\Pony Cars, but what it all really came down to was power. And this V6 has more of it than the vast majority of "Muscle Cars" and "Pony Cars" of the previous 4 1/2 decades could muster.

Plenty of my friends sport cars with V8's under the hood, and not one of them would deny that mine has every right to be considered a competent challenger in their midst, with nothing more than an Injen and MRT 2.0 to boast.

I agree whole heartedly with everyone before me that said "It's a Camaro. 'Nuff said."

Coming soon (end of summer, hopefully):
JBA Shorties :: Hurst or MTI Shifter (undecided)
New 20" Wheels (undecided) :: Fogs :: GFX :: CF Heat Extractor hood :: Painted-On CGM Stripes :: G-2 Painted Calipers :: Painted Bowties
Old 05-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #191
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckstacamaro View Post
Hey LOWDOWN

Originally Posted by chuckstacamaroand as updated by LOWDOWN (as you are NOT 100% Correct either)

To put it straight the Camaro, (even old school Camaro's) were not considered Muscle Cars by definition. They were Pony cars.

Most American car manufacturers in the 60's and 70's had both Muscle Cars and Pony Cars. Chevy had its Camaro, Pontiac Firebird/Trans Am, Ford Mustang, Mercury Cougar, Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Challenger, and AMC Javelin/AMX.
AMX, '68-'70, were Sports cars, '71-'74 were Pony Cars. AMC DID have the "Machine" which certainly is a valid Muscle Car...(Yes and no argument here about the Machine) Gosh, thanks!

However, a true Muscle car was an intermediate sized two door automobile with a full size car motor (Big Block). The 1964 GTO was the first true muscle car (well debatable with the 1957 Chyrsler 300, First Hemi for you Mopar guys,
or more properly the '62-'63 Max Wedges in Dodge/Plymouth intermediates (And yes, but the Max Wedge cars were not massed produced or available to the general public), WHICH IS WHAT I STATE, BELOW...AGAIN, READ EVERYTHING 1ST as Pontiac took the 389 from the full sized Bonneville, with 3x2 Carbs, dual exhaust, 4 speed and installed it into the 64 Tempest/Lemans (intermediate car). Pontiac took everyone by surprise. Now it was catch up time for everyone else in late 64 and early 65.

Chevy in 1965 took the Corvette 396CID/375HP
(rated 425HP in the Vette) motor and put into the Chevelle and the Chevelle 396SS was born. Chevy (also in 1965), installed the Corvette 427/425HP (NOT available till '66 MY,) GM as with most car manufactures in the 60’s and 70’s, presented ringers (those are cars with factory raced tuned and prepped cars), to Motor Trend/Car and Driver/Road and Track for Car Testing. SO BECAUSE YOU "THINK" SOME 427 MALIBU "RINGERS" WERE BUILT, THEY QUALIFY AS "PRODUCTION"? READ NHRA'S RULE BOOK and see if a '65 427 Malibu (or any other year before '69) is raceable in STOCK Eliminator...believe me, if Chev built 'em, they'd qualify, but they DIDN'T, so they DON'T... in a select few Chevelle SS's that were coded the Z11. (opps! my mistake NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE the Z11 was the 427/425hp version of the famous 409 W-Head engine which were installed in the impalas. They also installed 409’s in very few 1965 Bel Air’s and Impalas and Wagons and....but NONE were called "Z11s" Which is a highly sorted sought-after ? collectible today but with only 340hp, not exactly a "Super car" as you would have us erroneously believe... Actually, Z11 was the LPO code for race-intended '63 Impalas-approx. 50 or so, with more built over-the-counter. Z16 was the '65 Malibu SS396 option with 396/375 rating...200-odd built. NO 427 Chevelles left GM assembly plants until '69, and then only as COPOs, which when protested by the "other" Divisions led to the '70 454/455 options throughout GM...(yes, correct again) Gosh, I see a pattern, forming...

Oldsmobile in late
(spring-'64) 1964/early 1965 took its 400 (Actually 394CID) from the Dynamic 88 full size car line and installed it into the F-85 Cutlass calling it the 442 (442 = 4bbl, 4spdl, dual exhaust).

Buick in 1965 took the 400
(actually 401, thus technically violating GM's "400-max." rule) CID from the Buick Riviera and installed it in its Skylark (intermediate) and called it the Skylark GS (Grand [actually GRAN] Sport). Eventually GM upped the ante on all its model car lines with engines getting bigger and bigger and more powerful each year from 1965 through 1970 (396, 400, 425, 427,454 and 455CID engines depending on car manufactuer mnake and model). GM restricted all Divisions to 400 c.i., until '70 MY...Hurst Olds '68-'69 excepted, as they were NOT GM-assembled(WRONG! GM only restricted the 400 in, ”Mid-Sized” cars until 1970 WHICH IS WHAT I JUST SAID AS PER THIS PARAGRAPH, HURST & COPO EXCEPTED...READ CAREFULLY . The Chevelle, GTO, Gran Sport, and 442’s were INTERMEDIATE CARS. The Pontiac GTO came Standard with the 400 in 1967 and offered a 400 in the 1968 Firebird) Also the Olds 442 came standard with a 400 beginning in 1967 and the 400 was not limited only to the Hurst Olds)

The Dodge/Plymouth Muscle Cars were the (Charger, Fury, Super Bee, GTX, Road Runner and Belvedere with 383, 440 or 426 Hemi Power).
They really started it, in '62, with their Max Wedge program...the GTO was the first "volume" version, exceeding even Delorean/Wangers "predictions"... There it is...

So did Ford/Mercury (Fairlanes, Cyclones, Torinos with 427/428/429 to eventually 460 CID Big blocks).

And even the now defunct American Motors Corporation (AMC) had their Rebel Machine and Rambler from 1967 through 1970 with 390 and 401 CID Motors installed in their intermediate cars.

The Full sized cars in the 1960's through 1970 with factory modified big blocks were known as Super Cars.
"Super Cars" was a designation really first used to describe European exotics/hybrids, including the original Cobra. Yenko/Nickey/Motion and others "borrowed" the term...(Wrong again LOWDOWN, Super Cars was the moniker used on Full Sized American Cars that came with the Biggest and most powerful V8's available on Race Inspired Full Sized Cars in the 60's) ... DO YOU REALLY THINK A 225 WOULD "RACE-INSPIRE" ANYTHING? NOT EVEN "FLINT FANATICS" DO...and I OWN A Stage 1... "SUPER CARS" were EXOTICS, 1ST..."SUPER" Price, "SUPER" Performance, "SUPER" Rare, "SUPER CARS"! Full sized cars were the Impala, Belaire, Caprice, Riviera, Wildcat, Electra 225, Polara, Fury, Catalina, Grand Prix, Bonneville, Maurader, LTD, Galaxie 500, Delta 88, and Toronado. Executive and/or Personal Luxury Cars, maybe...the ONLY thing missing in their nomenclature was the prefix "U.S.S.", regardless of engine...

There were also mid-sized cars that were known neither as Pony Car or Muscle Car but they were quick and fast. Some of these were the 340/383 Dodge Dart/Demons and 340/383 Plymouth Swingers/Dusters, Chevy II's/Nova SS with 327/350 or 396 power, the Ford Falcons/Mercury Comets 289/302 and the AMC S/C Rambler 390.

The 60's and early 70's was the era for totally awesome American cars. I'm just glad to have been there when those classics were new, and was able to buy them as used cars when I got out of High school.

Now if you want to talk about the birth of the Modern Day Muscle car well that era would have begun in the mid 1980's, but that is another story for another time.

Don't know where you got your info from, but Wikipedia does not have always the correct Information, I grew up in the 60's Era, drove in a lot of the classics and saw /touched them when you could buy them new from the dealer. And I still have a lot of my old car magazines from when the CLASSICS were being featured and evaluated when they were new.

I, too, am a paid published auto freelancer, for magazines including Muscle Car Review, and know Paul personally. And my periodical collection goes back to HRM Volume 1 Number 1, January '48. It also includes Motor Trend/Car Life/Car and Driver/Road & Track "from the days"... I, too, remember my friend Brock Yates' article in CandD on the original '64 GTO...which happened to have stopped at Royal Pontiac for a 421 transplant...which does NOT make 421 GTOs "correct" or "built by GM"...although they did PAY for a few to be built... My friends Jim Wangers and Jim Mattison can confirm ALL of this...

In the name of "accurate information", I am done, here...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 05-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #192
chuckstacamaro

OK.....LOWDOWN.... You Won!!! ....... But it appears that many people who are new to performance cars/muscle cars like to get misinformation by relying on Wikipedia.... Which is correct about 90% of the time.....

I have personally met Jim Wangers, Jim Mattison, Paul Zazzarine, George Ellis and other Pontiac guru's when I used to belong to the GTOAA and was the Founder and President of the now defundt Hudson Valley GTO Club back in the early 90's.

Enough said and as my kids say... Peace Out...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #193
markplusone

Drives: 1999 Ford Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
lol, yeah the crown vic has some serious soul

No I am not so naive as to even imply a crownvic has soul. Just saying with the change in politics, gas shortages and economic history, we lost the muscle car age and it will never be produced again. I also read earlier in the thread that its not muscle if it has a turbo, super or FI. I agree. If its not naturally aspirated, its not a muscle car. Reason being that muscle cars were tinkered with and tuned by the owner to their hearts content. Cant do that now without going to a speedshop to adjust boost levels, injector feeds and almost anything else you can think of. Thats what made muscle cars muscle cars the most I think. You and your neighbor could have the exact same year make model, and optioned car but they will drive completely different because everyone tunes their own way. Drives different and all that. The old cars anyone could tune. Cars now, unless your specially trained, you have to get to a speed shop. The old days are gone unless you build it yourself. Sad but true
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #194
razor28124
I ran out of space for th

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
The bottom line is that the cars that we own now (from the base ls to the 2ss) handle and perform much better than the "muscle cars" of years past. To me the term isn't as endearing and meaningful as it appears to be for many of you. That is not to say that I do not love the cars of yesteryear. They conjure up memories and thoughts of nostalgia from an era long lost. That being said, I would not like to see my car be classified as any thing other than what it is. (A sports car) If you don't like my views simply ignore them. No need for flamage.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #195
spooky
spooky

Drives: camaro
to OP, you're brother sounds like a idiot regardless if he's talking about cars or not. just enjoy your Camaro. a V6 is better than the alternative, which is walking.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #196
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Not sure where you're getting your ideas, Blackhawk, but 90% of V6 Camaro drivers DO care about HP and speed. You think we would've bought this car if it did 0-60 in 12 seconds? No way.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd

Closed Thread

Tags
muscle car, pain is game, rant, v6 muscle, v6 vs. world