Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Camshaft Help

Hello everyone! I hope im posting this in the right section. I am interested in installing a CAM in my LS3 2011 Camaro. The cam that im looking at is the Texas Speed Performance 235/239. I'm fairly new to this but do have a knowledge of how engines work and how to work on them. im just curious about LSA and push rod length, along with the other specifics to make this work. I want to have an aggressive sound and make power, but don't want to change pistons to have valve reliefs. Here's the link to what im looking at
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-249-ts...t-package.aspx
I'm hoping to install it myself this winter along with headers and some other small bolt on's, and a tune once spring comes around and im ready to drive this. Thanks and have a great day!

My Youtube and Facebook where the whole install will be covered
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH...QmvSyHD_0XtM7Q
https://www.facebook.com/BurnedRubberChannel?ref=hl
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Silver Ice Man

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring limited edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedRubber View Post
Hello everyone! I hope im posting this in the right section. I am interested in installing a CAM in my LS3 2011 Camaro. The cam that im looking at is the Texas Speed Performance 235/239. I'm fairly new to this but do have a knowledge of how engines work and how to work on them. im just curious about LSA and push rod length, along with the other specifics to make this work. I want to have an aggressive sound and make power, but don't want to change pistons to have valve reliefs. Here's the link to what im looking at
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-249-ts...t-package.aspx
I'm hoping to install it myself this winter along with headers and some other small bolt on's, and a tune once spring comes around and im ready to drive this. Thanks and have a great day!

My Youtube and Facebook where the whole install will be covered
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH...QmvSyHD_0XtM7Q
https://www.facebook.com/BurnedRubberChannel?ref=hl
Hey there BurnedRubber, I am doing the same thing to my 2014.
I will be going with a Jannetty Cam Package and one of his tunes to go with it.
So far all my bolt on's have come from him and his service has been second to none. The package he puts together will give you everything you will need for the cam swap with the exception of patience....lol
Hope this helps.....
Just look on you tube for Jannetty cammed Camaros and several will show up.
MODS: CIA cold air intake, Oil catch can, Dynatech LT Headers, Dynatech Power cats, Dynatech Cat back exhaust, Janetty racing tune, Vitesse throttle controller, Headlight and marker tint, more to follow....
Silver Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Thanks silver ice man! ill take a look at that, might have another option of cam to get!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The 235/239 cam I believe is Texas Speed's biggest cam, however, it does not require flycutting the pistons. It should fit/work just fine, as long as you have a good set of springs and hardened pushrods.
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro - BIW
Our 235/239 cam is our flagship cam for the LS3 engines. It's designed to be the largest cam you can run in an LS3 without having to flycut the pistons and still have safe PTV clearance. The standard LSA is 112°. I recommend to stick with that LSA as going any tighter will decrease PTV clearance. That cam will require our .675 dual valve spring kit. We always recommend that pushrod length be measured just to verify. But on average, a 7.400 pushrod is what is needed. Just measure first and if it turns out that you need a different length pushrod then send the unused pushrods back to us and we will happily exchange them for the length that you need.
Lonnie@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
djpelosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie@Texas-Speed View Post
It's designed to be the largest cam you can run in an LS3 without having to flycut the pistons and still have safe PTV clearance.

The LG G6x3 is the biggest cam that can fit in the LS3 without flycutting, is it not?
Build Thread
Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

It is, but have you seen the PTV clearance... That is why I said " largest cam you can run in an LS3 without having to flycut the pistons and still have safe PTV clearance"
Old 11-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #8
djpelosi

Quote:
It is, but have you seen the PTV clearance... That is why I said " largest cam you can run in an LS3 without having to flycut the pistons and still have safe PTV clearance"
From what I've read, it's still considered safe. I haven't seen any threads posted about a G6x3 causing failure in a non-flycut ls3 motor. Not saying it's never happened, I just haven't read it.
Build Thread
Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Lonnie@Texas-Speed

Im guessing you're talking about the G6X4 cam as that is their largest cam for the LS3. The G6X3 is smaller than our 235/239 cam. The G6X4 has .0017 PTV clearance on stock pistons and stock unmilled heads. It's up to you to decide if that is a safe margin or not.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
djpelosi

The only reason I mention the G6x3 is because I haven't seen a single post about someone with the G6x4 in their ls3. There are no YouTube videos or anything about the g6x4 ;/.

Lonnie, what kind of power does the 235/239 put down to the wheels? The G6x3 seems to make 490+ consistently.
Build Thread
Old 11-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4011-te...-camshaft.aspx

Here is 231/236 vs the 235/239 side by side

Typcially we hear between 485-510 depending on mods. Heads add another 25-35 depending on which ones you run
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Quote:
The G6X4 has .0017 PTV clearance on stock pistons and stock unmilled heads..
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Thanks

Thanks for your help everyone! Ill make sure to post here when i get the cam, won't be for a while most likely, just wanted to be prepared for when i pull the trigger to do this.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have the 235/239 cam with the .675 springs and the pushrods my tuner insisted on were 7.375 and I have no valve train noise and its a really good radical cam just have to go about 1500 rpm on take off and keep from lugging it too low, the lift being .639/.625 is what My very experienced builder / g.m. guru did call the most cam a daily driver should use and I made 491 rwhp and 448 torque with SP headers 1 7/8 and high flow cats and a CAI through my dual mode with electric power steering........ On a Conservative mustang dyno.... I picked this cam as I know its more than the most popular cams output.........