Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

View Poll Results: Clear bra - good, bad, or waste of $$
Good - helps protect! 52 89.66%
Bad - please leave a reason 2 3.45%
Waste - Doesn't help much or not enough 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
jokerswild

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM M6
Clear bra protectant - good or bad?

Regardless of manufacturer (not trying to start another "product x vs. product y" thread), who thinks the clear protectant is a good idea vs a waste of money?

I've read multiple threads on the topic, and I get the feeling the general concensus is that it's overall a good idea. However, calm and rational people don't generally post on threads they disagree with... so this gives them the chance to disagree or (hopefully) give a reason why they think it's a bad idea or waste.
jokerswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I have had mine on for 5 months and I don't have 1 single chip on the front. You tell me if that is worth 450.00
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Just put a full kit on for 600.00. I had it on a Z3 and I think it is well worth it.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
My take... they're good, but for the (average) cost of a good one you could easily repaint the front end. I personally have never put one on any of my rides just b/c visually it always seems to draw my eye on other cars.

Its probably all the chemicals I've inhaled over the years, or the fact I spend my days scrutinizing paint and appearance.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I would put one on the first day if I could go back in time :( I truly regret not doing the entire front, lowers all the way around, gills and, well, everything! Go for it!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Bagzinator

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Love mine no chips!!
Bagzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
highmark
Burnin out!

Drives: Sick SS
7 months and counting. Not one chip. Even better when bug season starts.Must be professionally installed for the best look. IMO this cheap GM paint must have it.I disagree with Dylan. You could redo the clear bra in a few years if it yellows and it would be cheaper and less hassle than a repaint.
highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
DetailAddict

Drives: .
if u don't mind the line/look, go for it!
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I wanted one then I saw a few black cars at Camaro5 fest with it and I was glad I did not get it. Maybe it's because it's black but you could see the line where the clear bra stops and I did not like it.

Sean
Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
I wanted one then I saw a few black cars at Camaro5 fest with it and I was glad I did not get it. Maybe it's because it's black but you could see the line where the clear bra stops and I did not like it.

Sean
I have a black SS with a full clear bra on it. I too don't like the line that much. But it's the wax buildup that makes it visible. I'm trying to find a way to remove the wax from that edge, but it's damn hard. Before I waxed it you could hardly see it. The bra has prevented several big chips, and lots of small ones.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I have a black SS with a full clear bra on it. I too don't like the line that much. But it's the wax buildup that makes it visible. I'm trying to find a way to remove the wax from that edge, but it's damn hard. Before I waxed it you could hardly see it. The bra has prevented several big chips, and lots of small ones.
Pretty much thats gonna happen no matter what so don't kick yourself too much. If it wasn't wax it'd be any number of other things settling in there.

They can be done where all the sections terminate on body lines, which helps on the appearance side A TON, but to do that you have to ignore the leading edge of the hood as theres no good way to hide it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post

Sean

My guess is you will dislike the chips a whole lot more...
Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
My take... they're good, but for the (average) cost of a good one you could easily repaint the front end. I personally have never put one on any of my rides just b/c visually it always seems to draw my eye on other cars.

Its probably all the chemicals I've inhaled over the years, or the fact I spend my days scrutinizing paint and appearance.
Dylan, I hear what your saying but why would you put up with the chips for ever how long just to pull your bumper and repaint it just so it can happen all over again? The other advantage is in bug season the bugs come right off and the acid in their bodies doesn't effect the clear bra where as without one the paint gets damaged by the acid! The only reason that makes sense to NOT put a clear bra is if the chips just don't bother you!

I think the poll says it all.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Use a soft toothbrush...Takes the line and any other wax remnants right off.